Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista (aka Hilton located in the Walt Disney World Resort) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Horse, May 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here for one night on April 28, 2012. My stay was only for 10 hours as I arrived late and was leaving in the morning to stay at another hotel around the corner. Even with such a short stay, my impression of the hotel was one in that I was happy that I was not staying longer.

Check in had a small line. Main lobby looked good. Staff was friendly. There was a HS prom that evening, so the place was filled with teenagers. Surprisingly, it was quiet on my floor all night. I was given a room on the executive floor. However, the room was two Queen beds instead of the King that I had booked. The front desk was able to find another room for me and I still was given access to the lounge.

I found the hotel in desperate need of a renovation. On their facebook page, they give the impression renovations were just completed. I did not see anything anywhere that looked like new construction.

The room and bathroom were a decent size. It could have used a better quality linens and furnishings. A plus is that there are Peter Thomas Roth toiletries. I am still questioning if the body lotion tube was used as it was only half full. Hmmm. Housekeeping does just a fair job in the rooms and hallways. I saw built up dust along the walls and litter scattered throughout the hallways. The carpeting in the hallways looks like it's from the 80s. And walls, elevator doors, hallways, railings are scuffed and scratched in multiple places. The hotel doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good either.

The room furniture looked tacky and a bit beat up. There was no attempt by housekeeping to straighten out the dust ruffle on the bed. And the shower curtain looked like somebody had balled it up, left it in a corner for a few days, and then hung it in the bathroom. The bed springs could easily be felt when you sat down. I am thin and I couldn't believe how I sunk in the bed.

Room had a refrigerator, luggage rack, nice sized safe, 2 complimentary bottles of water.

The staff at the Executive Lounge were great. They were smiling, helpful, asked if I needed anything else before I left. Food was nothing exciting like what I get when I stay at the nearby Hilton Bonnet Creek. This hotel offered bagels (not like NY bagel stores), "bagged" bread to toast, croissants, inexpensive pastries, yogurt, cantaloupe and honeydew melon, bananas, sliced cheese, a few cold cuts, oatmeal, dry cereal, milk, coffee, tea, etc. Only a few adults were there when I went. It was early, so the Disney crowd with kids may show up later.

The best part of this hotel is that it is directly across the street from Downtown Disney. This opens up many more dining, shopping, and Disney transportation options.

Since I did not use the free transportation provided to the Disney parks and water parks, I don't know how often the shuttle runs.

A few more negatives are that this hotel is on the opt-out list of hotels choosing not to participate in the HHonors Q1 and Q2 2012 promos. I don't know about last years promotions. Also, I received a welcome letter in the mail from the hotel a week before arriving. I wrote back to the person who provided their email address. I did not receive a response until I wrote again the following week after my stay. To me this is just one more example of the hotel not being on top of things.

If this hotel did some real renovations, worked on the training of their housekeeping staff, and stopped opting out of HHonors promos, it could double the rates and be at full occupancy all the time. The location is prime, but the hotel itself is in sad shape. I was supposed to return for another visit this month, but after seeing the conditions, I cancelled and booked another night at Hilton Bonnet Creek for my upcoming Waldorf Astoria Orlando and Hilton Bonnet Creek stay.

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 1.jpg Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 2.jpg Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 3.jpg

3. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 4.jpg Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 5.jpg

4. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 6.jpg Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 7.jpg

5. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 8.jpg Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 9.jpg
    Both sides of the doorway right outside my room. Gross.

6. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Executive Lounge which is only open for breakfast. Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 10.jpg Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 11.jpg Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 12.jpg

7. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    View from my room over front of hotel. Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is in the middle a little further out. That is the hotel I stayed at for the rest of my trip in Orlando. Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 16.jpg View of Downtown Disney from the hallway near the elevators. Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista 17.jpg

9. YOURGLOCKMAN

YOURGLOCKMAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here last week for 3 days. Generally okay, but my main peeve was the uncontrollable admission to the exec. lounge and breakfast area. One "guest" kept going out of the breakfast area, and would return a couple of minutes later with a different female and a different baby in tow. Not sure if he was the daddy to all of these kids, but at one time there were 13 of his party in this little breakfast area. Himself, three adult females and 9 kids aged from diapers to teenager. Of course, I could be wrong...they might have had 7 rooms, but from the looks of it, I doubt that very seriously.
    When I asked at the front desk how many people could I bring in with my gold status, I was told I could bring one other person with me. Evidently, Mr. Daddy did not have to follow those rules.

perryplatypus and Horse like this.