Hilton or FS Sydney?

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Sammich, Oct 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the process of debating Hilton Sydney vs FS Sydney next year for my first trip to Sydney...

I know it seems kind of a no-brainer but after reading multiple reviews on Tripadvisor, Milepoint, and Flyertalk about FS Sydney being a low quality Four Seasons property I'm kinda leaning towards Hilton Sydney.

The rates for my Hilton Stay is $795AUD all in and $1165 AUD for FS. (3xnights).

Maybe someone on Milepoint can make up my mind here ;)

uggboy likes this.
  2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    My travelers who normally stay at FS around the world choose either Intercontinental or Westin in Sydney so I assume its not a great property. I stay at the Westin.
    Between your two options I'd choose the lower price and use savings to do the bridge climb, etc Sydney is a great city to explore, I rarely spend time in room or at hotel. Have fun!

uggboy and Sammich like this.
  3. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, philatravelgirl! :) Since I won't be meeting my SPG re-qualification requirements I guess I'm going for the Hilton!

PS. Didn't even know about the bridge climb until you mentioned it, one more item to add on my to-do list!

uggboy likes this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you do consider another option

the Intercontinental Club Lounge terrace + view is really incredible, just above the Opera House

rooms are decent and service is generally good

the Westin is definitely nice as well, better rooms than IC

5. Shangri-La???

dstober and uggboy like this.
  6. I actually think the Park Hyatt is better than both but way more expensive than either. I am not sure why you want to go Sydney for only 3 days !!. There is so much to do in the Great Southern Land. You might want to go to the lodges of Australia or try Melbourne and Hobart. I also think you should book via DavidO

uggboy and viguera like this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah everyone's been recommending the PH in Sydney, but they're kinda out of my budget - I'm only staying in Sydney for 3 days for business then off to Fiji for about a month.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any indication for which hotel you have / may decide while in Sydney for 3 days?
    How about the Langham Sydney? Regarding the above 2 choices, I would consider the Hilton with free breakfast / seeing that you're HH Gold or the possibility of an upgrade with Executive Lounge access.

Sammich likes this.
  9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking at Hilton, FS, and Shangri-La. For now, the only reason why I chose Hilton is honestly because of HH Gold. I prefer something with a Harbor/Oceanview. and maybe not too far from downtown Sydney (the rocks, opera house area). LH seems pretty good, but would it be too far from the rocks/opera house?

Also, would Shangri-La > FS? Or about the same? I would have went for Park Hyatt right away if it weren't for the rates :confused:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. Shangri La at least does not have a silly concept

Sammich likes this.
  11. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean by concept?

12. the silly dining at four seasons and small rooms and no real spa is an ouch that's why I will never consider staying there

13. I personally think the Four Seasons should buy The Langham and sell its old property. It would do some amazing things to it.

14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Langham has bought the hotel from Orient Express, it was the Observatory Hotel. Langham has plans to renovate and transform the hotel too.

15. Yes I know that I stayed at the hotel under Orient Express. But its not virtuoso :( so I do not know where to stay in Sydney so I do not go to Sydney:(

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be so dependent on Virtuoso, while nice, it's not the end of the world.

17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which silly concept?

18. Yes it is

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton is not a luxury hotel. At all. Full stop.

However, it is located in Sydney's old downtown CBD. (The Rocks is not exactly downtown, but it is a great location.)

I've enjoyed my stays in the Observatory Hotel. The area right around it is building up and becoming gentrified.

dstober likes this.
  20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't the question of what the OP wanted to know, it was more about which hotel to choose, at first it was all about the Hilton and the FS Sydney, this evolved into a lively discussion between MP members here in the Luxury Forum. While the Hilton maybe not the most luxurious hotel in town, it's a viable and fine alternative to the other hotels discussed here, especially as the OP holds HH Gold status which brings a great range of perks in itself, from free internet, free breakfast and maybe even an upgrade with Executive Lounge Access, these perks make the hotel very attractive indeed, plus the Hilton has a super Executive Lounge and was as I believe newly renovated too. Yes, The Observatory is now the Langham hotel and is located in a fine neighborhood. All the mentioned hotels are fine hotels.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    tondoleo and Sammich like this.
  21. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm late to the discussion. We stayed at the Shangri-La and had the most amazing Bridge/Harber/Opera House views. And the Horizon Club Lounge was great. I would absolutely stay there again. And the location is terrific if you're interested in the Rocks, the Quay, and the harbor bridge. The Observatory Hotel is pretty cool too. As a completely different option, I've stayed several times at the Dive Hotel at Coogee Beach. It's a cool, funky boutique hotel and Coogee is a lovely beach. It's away from the tourist area but accessibility is pretty good. Enjoy, sudosandwich!

22. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Though not a "luxury hotel," per se, I vote the Sydney Hilton a great property. Being HHonors Diamond, we were upgraded from a Jr. King Suite to a "full" King Suite, and had a wonderful room, with great views on two sides. The service, at every turn, was excellent. I rate it up with the Hilton Park Lane, London/Mayfair.

The location is central, providing much of Sydney within easy walking distances.

We also enjoyed dinner at Glass, though for the level of food, wines and service, the venue could be upgraded quite a bit.

The only negative that we found was the night clubs, that drew a very large crowd, and just entering the hotel in the evening took a bit of work.

We did not stay at the FS, but did spend a bit of time there, including the neat little bar, overlooking Circular Quay and the entrance.