Hilton Offers 20K HHONORS POINTS AND AADVANTAGE® PLATINUM STATUS [TARGETED OFFER]

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by danielwood, Oct 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an exclusive offer only for members who receive this email directly from Hilton.

https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/AmericanHiltonOffer

Hilton HHonors and American Airlines are teaming up to reward your frequent travel. Sign up by October 15, 2014 and you’ll receive American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status through January 31, 2015, complete with special upgrade privileges, 100% mileage bonus on eligible flights, free checked bags, priority check-in and more.*

Want to keep this good thing going? Simply fly on American, US Airways or other select airlines** to earn 9,000 AAdvantage elite–qualifying miles or points between October 27, 2014 and January 31, 2015. Your AAdvantage Platinum status will be extended through February 29, 2016, and you’ll also earn 20,000 HHonors Points that you can use at more than 4,000 hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio.

2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    No go for me. But thanks for posting.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems the offer is targeted by AA through Hilton.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a very easy requirement to make AA Plat and keep it. For instance I am scheduled to fly to SE Asia during the qualifying period on UA, which would earn me some 22k elite-qualifying miles by Jan 31, 2015. I could just cancel with UA and fly with the dAArk side, and I'd be AA Plat until 2016. This could be a preview of how AA intends to attract DL and UA elites who are not happy with the revenue system... Tempting but I first need to make UA MM and get my lifetime *G with UA.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    traveltoomuch and vickers like this.
  5. rodc

rodc Active Member

Status Points:
    No go for me.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a that fantastic a deal if you ask me.
    HH 20k points will may get you night in some Hampton Inn. The rest is basically the same as AA's standard Platinum challenge where you need to earn 10k points
    in 90 days (or is it three months?)

7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Na da for me as well.

8. danielwood

danielwood Gold Member

Status Points:
    No Luck for me. :(

9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Except that the AA Platinum challenges cost $240 (more or less, depending on when during the year you register) and don't give you status in the interim (v. USAir's "trial preferred", which costs even more, but grants you the status immediately). Sure, 20K HHonors points are no big deal, but the AA offer is pretty sweet.

Didn't work for me, sadly.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    viguera and danielwood like this.
  10. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    About as affordable way of earning status as you can get! If I was a huge american flyer I would consider it.

11. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    UA MM will still be there later. Assuming you are targeted, you could take the AA offer now and just collect the last few miles towards UA MM as it's most convenient.

I thought I might get MM in late 2012 or early 2013, but plans changed, and it dragged on into this year. In the meantime, I've been choosing carriers based on other things: flying B6 from BOS (non-stops!), using far more award tickets all around, and particularly using Avios on short-haul US and AA flights. I've missed having status, but the lower out-of-pocket cash and better routings have been very nice.

Counsellor likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bzzzt... No luck

13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Already being Platinum with AA, I didn't even try.

It would be interesting to know, though, what the screen is for the offer. It's apparently an HH screen -- reading between the lines -- and so may be connected either with HHonors status, or actual nights stayed (to screen out the "Gold by Credit Card" elites). I wonder whether it is an attempt at something like the UA-Marriott lash-up where certain Marriott elites get status on UA.

We can try to suss it out. For the folks that tried and didn't get it, are any of you elite with HH? If so, at what level? How many nights stayed last year (a range of 10 nights would be fine, i.e., 20+, 50+, etc.)?

For any who do get the Platinum, same questions.

Responses welcome.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gold. Few nights (maybe 10). Have the free Amex HHonors card, with very little activity since deval. Will lose status.

traveltoomuch and Counsellor like this.
  15. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gold with HH from last year. Nearly gold again. Approaching Platinum with Mariott or would have been diamond by now. Already Platinum with AA and approaching EXP after another couple of trips. Got a message from the link saying I would have to call.

"You are not able to register for this promotion online.Please call the Hilton Reservations and Customer Care nearest you for assistance, or call 1-800-HHONORS."

Counsellor likes this.
  16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad timing for me. I'm planning to accept the EXP challenge, and I have been booking all premium cabin flights on AA to insure that I qualify. Will add a MR if I must. I typically don't fly after early December until mid January because of pricing, availability and heavier-than-average crowds.

It will be nice to have both EXP and 1K in 2015 just in case I decide I don't like AA enough to stay. There will be plenty of time to move back to UA if that's the case. This offer carries the same benefit, assuming one received it or can call and get approval.

The Hilton part just doesn't melt my butter. 20,000 points is nothing, and I prefer Marriott in most cases. I'm already Gold with MR, and got the Chase MR Visa recently, which gives me a lock on Platinum for 2015. And even though they, too, have had a deval, they have seemingly endless promotions where I'm earning tons of extra points for stays when I'm not burning the points that are so easily accumulated with the card.

Summary: If you aren't Plat with AA, can qualify for this promo and can fly AA at all in 2015, this is as easy as it gets. The Hilton points are just gravy.

Side note: Even though I prefer Marriott, It's a real problem for me that they don't have a hotel in Medellin or Cartagena. Hilton does, at least, have Cartagena, and I may lament not having status when I take my weekend getaways there starting next year. I do have Accor Gold, and will likely soon be Accor Platinum, so the Sofitel in Cartagena may be an option, but that Hilton sure looks like "the" place to stay there. Anyone here have experience there that they can share? Sofitel and Hilton are both $$$$$, so I sure don't want to learn from trial and error that one is great and the other is mediocre or less.

17. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    No experience with that particular property, but I have not noticed much special treatment as an Accor Platinum. There's a voucher for a free drink from the bar (one per stay), but that's really been all.

18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that feedback. That's something I already get as a Gold, and I often use the free 6 pm checkout option, too. It's interesting how European loyalty programs differ so much from those of their U.S.A. competitors.

I have earned all of my status so far in one single Hotel ibis. In fact, I'm writing from that hotel now. The staff knows me well, of course, so I feel like a VIP, even if there is nothing really special about the ibis chain. The value is so good, though, that I don't really even care about status. I book all of my stays via topcashback.com,too, so I also have a nice little rebate coming whenever I decide to cash it in. :)

19. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't mind another credit card, the citi hilton reserve (or whatever the official name is) gives you Hilton gold status automatically. Basically $100 a year (annual fee) for gold status.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

20. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tried it, no dice for me.

21. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, Accor seems to be a chain where the highest status still gets you not much more than a better room location or a choice to check in early with what they have or wait for something better later in the day. I've had it for two years without earning it, and I use it about 3 times a year.

22. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the offer is 9,000 miles or points... making it easier to achieve than the platinum challenge. Also cheaper, as noted above. AA is giving away elite status like candy, sort of annoying.