Hilton Nearly Quadruples Q1 Profit on Strong Business Travel

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by uggboy, May 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Leisure travel hasn`t hurt them either, when you see all the families with kids running around their properties on weekends/holidays and during the summer.

The headline should have read ``....Strong Business and Leisure Travel``, as the article itself clearly states!

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, you're right. It's interesting how the dynamic often changes during weekend vs. during the week. They have good marketing towards families right now and yes, it's paying off both ways, and with the travel market rebound worldwide, Hilton has positioned itself to take full advantage of this.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So much for "When all the hacked-off MPers/FTers realize how bad devaluation is, they'll leave and Hilton will lose money" predictions.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you remember them. Didn't happen for Hilton.

gconnery likes this.
  6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh. So that means the rest of the hotel chains know they too can get away with massive devaluations. Great.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, they kind of all already did it in 2013. ;)

LETTERBOY and blackjack-21 like this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of those many who b*tched, complained and otherwise moaned, groaned, whined, and etc's too, but I made good use of my HHonors points for booking in London and Belfast right before the devaluations last year, and I still stayed with Hilton as they're the ones that can offer the most properties for my and my wife's travels, so even with the ever increased pricing of travel this year, at least for us, they're the best bang for the buck. With both of us being cigarette smokers, they're the one brand with the most available smoking rooms in many properties, although that too is getting less and less. And their bonus offers, while not great, are still available to keep my HHonors account replenished, plus I'm satisfied with the Gold perks at most properties.

Being retired now, all stays are paid for with our own nickels, dimes, (no more pennies up here) or HHonors points if needed.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And that's why I think Hilton's done OK- enough of folks like you around, or people who just need the ubiquity of Hampton Inns...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, we haven't been in one of those ubiquitous Hamptons for at least eight or nine years, with the majority of our stays being in Hiltons (two nights last week so far this month, and two in April), and a couple of nights at a HGI also in April. The inconsistant quality of DT's leave them off our list of properties, and it's been a while since we've stayed at an ES, although we enjoyed the rarer Hilton Suites properties, but they're few and far between. Four+ star properties in London serve us well, and we have no need for Conrads or Waldorfs in our travels, preferring instead to use the cash saved by booking the mid-range properties for use in better restaurant's dinners if available.

eponymous_coward likes this.