Hilton Munich City and Munich Park Experiences?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Saracen, Sep 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    A late-in-the-day booked work trip means I'll be spending a night each in the Hilton Munich City and Hilton Munich Park (one was much cheaper one night, the other cheaper the next – and I get two stays out of it :) ).

Any views? Will I get a proper breakfast as a HH Gold, or just in the Executive Lounge?

Anyone walked from Hilton Munich Park to Giselestasse U-Bahn station? Is it a reasonable walk?

Interested to hear any experiences.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I stayed in each, the breakfast at the Executive Lounge was pretty complete, including eggs and hot breakfast meat.

The walk from the Munich Park to the Giselastr. U-bahn stop is about a kilometer, through the Englisher Garten park. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes depending on your walking speed, more like 10 minutes if you walk briskly.

uggboy and Saracen like this.
  3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great. I look forward to trying them out. I take it from your reply that we are only offered breakfast in the Executive Lounge? I know it's the wrong place, but any idea of the vegetarian/fish options?

uggboy likes this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't recall seeing kippers, but I wasn't particularly looking for them. There was a general Continental breakfast with rolls and jam available, and cold cereal, too, as I recall.

As to whether you could eat breakfast in the restaurant, I don't recall being offered the option at the Munich Park, although I believe it was allowed at the Munich City. Perhaps someone else would remember for sure.

uggboy and Saracen like this.
  5. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, very useful stuff. A generous serving of smoked salmon usually keeps me entertained, especially since it's a rare (expensive) treat here in Singapore.

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live for the smoked salmon, it's more rare and expensive in Kuwait... the Chef quipped I was eating about $125 worth...

7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive found the quality of salmon to vary quite significantly between hotels. I love finding a full plate of lightly-smoked wild salmon. It's happened mostly in Asia (perhaps because I can afford to stay in 5* hotels here), but such treats are also widespread in northern Europe.

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the Hilton Munich City and it really is a nice hotel. The lounge has a decent breakfast and if it is too full, which happens often, you get a voucher [or something] to go eat downstairs. The downstairs buffet has enough good stuff to keep you full until dinner.

Also, Munich City is one of the most convenient hotels to both the airport and "city" itself via the subway that connects through the an elevator in the lobby.

Cheers

9. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finished my night's stay at each. Here's my experience:

Hilton Munich City
    Getting to this hotel from the airport is as easy as can be. The S8 to Rosenheimer Platz (about 40 mins), then exit the station and get the lift up (there are a few stairs to negotiate, but should be fine with baggage). There's ample signage and a few other hotels are also pointed to from the station.

I got there very early (after landing at 5:30am), and perhaps due to Oktoberfest being on, there were no rooms available. They got me to sign in, took my bag, and asked me to come back at around 12. I asked for and was given the wireless access details (as HHonors Gold member it's complimentary). After an hour of lounging around, I asked again about the room. I had packed lightly, and with no jacket and it being chilly outside I didn't want to go out. At this point they apologised again and then offered me a breakfast coupon. I gladly obliged, and I think that was very considerate. Breakfast warmed me up, I waited another hour and a bit, then asked again. At this point they indicated that an Executive room had been vacated and they'd just need to get it cleaned. Another half hour and I finally had a room – at 10:15, I think – not bad.

The (Executive) room was pretty decent (by European standards – I have to remember to stop comparing to Asia). As a Gold member, I was offered breakfast in either the lounge or the restaurant. The restaurant breakfast was really nice, with a good spread of breads, baked goods, hot and cold meats, juices, mueslis, and fruit. I visited the Executive lounge later, which was decent enough, with some canapés in the afternoon. Heading into town is easy on the S trains to Marienplatz or Hauptbahnhopf.

Hilton Munich Park
    I later moved to the Munich Park Hilton. I took a cab from the other hotel and it cost me around €12. The lobby is much bigger, and the hotel seems more grand. The room was quite similar, if a little larger, than at the Munich City. For me, this hotel is all about the Park. The Englischer Garten is a lovely park right beside the hotel. A ten minute walk through the park will get you to Giselestraße station which is on both the U6 and U3 lines. The walk through the park is easier with GPS, so make sure you cache the map in your phone if you don't have data roaming access. I had meetings at Garching, so this worked perfectly, with the trip up on the U6 taking about 25 mins. Into town is about 10 mins to Marienplatz. Leopoldstraße, where the station is located looks to be replete with any amenities you might need. And starting and ending the day with a walk though the park is great.

I was also offered a choice of breakfast in the lounge or restaurant here, and chose the restaurant, as I always do. A similar spread to the Munich City, but more space. I think I'll be back here again.

thegrailer, uggboy and HiIslands like this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do recall that from a stay at the Hilton City Center a long time ago..

But just in case, here are some other food ideas in the area (I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn City Center which is less than 1/2 a block from the Hilton City Center.

We did not dine at any Bavarian restaurants near the Holiday Inn City Center. We sure did elsewhere but stopped by the following two places to 'take a break'.

Just down the street, nearly across from the Hilton City Center is Manam (Thai) located at
    Rosenheimer Straße 34
    Tel. 089/458 6789 4
    Rosenheimer Platz (S1-S8, Tram 15, 25)
    Open Monday - Wednesday 9:00 - 19:00, Thursday - Saturday 9:00 - 21:00
    closed on Bank Holidays
    Manam served the best larb/laab that we've ever enjoyed, simply stellar. The restaurant is TINY, 4 small tables, we were lucky enough to snag one but we saw many people taking out, so if you can't get a table, simply get a to-go order and eat back at the room.

In the enclosed walkway from the S Bahn to the Holiday Inn, there are a number of other options for eating, such as:

There is a döner kebab place, which BTW is the #1 fast food in Germany. For those not familiar with döner kebab, think this:
    View attachment 21075
    The döner kebab here is good, not great but sure hit the spot for a mid afternoon snack.

There is also an Asian Bistro restaurant next to the döner restaurant/stall, the Asian Bistro stall smelled good & was fairly busy each time we passed by.

The ubiquitous bakery in Munich is Bäckerei Müller which are everywhere. We didn't partake of the location in the walkway but it looked acceptable enough.

We did go into the grocery market called Hit, where we were able to purchase some beer, bread, sliced meats & cheeses for a snack back at our room.

Just around the corner from the Holiday Inn is a Brazilian bar called Ver-O-Peso Bar, which serves a decent (not as good as Rio, but decent) caipirinha (made with cachaça (sugar cane rum)). We apparently drank enough caipirinhas that the bartender gave us some complimentary shots of cachaça. Ver-O-Peso is located at Rosenheimer Str. 14 (cash only !!)

TAHKUCT likes this.