Hilton Moorea Lagoon and Spa

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Tenmoc, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a recent review of this hotel? I am considering a late summer (US) trip.

2. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely fantastic resort - - the best in Moorea. And French Polynesia is magical. I have visited twice (once when it was still a Sheraton), so feel free to ask questions. Great value for award stays, although you will want to upgrade to an overwater bungalow (likely a cash upgrade, especially at that time of year). Late summer is high season, I recommend that you book now.

edison likes this.
  3. edison
    Original Member

edison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Pete. It is easily the best hotel at Moorea and is a great place for snorkelling.

I actually wrote a TR on it 2 years ago on FT but not sure if I should copy it to MP.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Great hotel for Moorea and outstanding snorkling. But doesn't compare to most of the properties on Bora Bora. Hilton Bora Bora Nui is a great redemption value..

5. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, some of the resorts on Bora Bora are a cut above. But Moorea has a lot to offer in its own right.

The problem with redeeming at Bora Bora Nui is that an upgrade from the award room is going to be very expensive (and much more than a cash upgrade at Moorea - - at least at Moorea you can generally get an elite upgrade to a decent bungalow, though probably not an OWB)..

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think it would be great to repost it here. We need to build the database such that people see the content here.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my previous review (also posted here) & attached a resort map.

I'm glad we were able to make it out to FP and stay at the Hilton Moorea (former Sheraton). Here's a few details of our trip:

Going in it's important to level-set expectations and remember this is a remote area and even the things you take for granted in Hawaii aren't given here (internet is inconstant at best, language barriers, etc)

The ATM's at the airport (PPT) weren't working (there are two), so the cab driver (2200 XPF) that took us to the ferry terminal stopped by a bank to let us withdraw some local currency before the ferry ride over (1365 XPF per person). Once you land on the other side hurry around to get your bags as they're sitting out with no one around watching them. If you have anything of value make sure you walk it on the ferry rather than checking it. As you cross on the ferry you have a great view of the eastern part of the island, which looks a lot like Kauai.

The hotel has transit to/from the airport or ferry for 1000 XPF per person (which we found is cheaper than a taxi @ 3300 XPF)

We were upgraded to a Lagoon Bungalow (Points stay, HHonors status) and was pleasantly surprised with how great the villa location was. We had no shortage of fish around and even saw a sting-ray within two meters of our deck.

The water depth and hodge-podge of coral is pretty consistent throughout (we snorkeled & kayaked around the entire resort) so you can see fish from any villa, and no matter where you get in most people will be able to stand up. Even with adverse weather the water was relatively calm and easy to swim, snorkel or just walk around in (if you're walking I'd recommend water shoes)

As others have mentioned, the breakfast is great. They have "hot" and "cold" items and among the cold items were a ceviche like dish with coconut as well as lox, brie and plenty of fresh fruit that made for a great "cold" breakfast spread.

Whale & dolphin tours are offered by Dr. Poole and Dolphin Lagoonarium. We definitely recommend these, especially if you're visiting during Whale season (July-November). They both stop by an area with sting-rays and reef sharks so bring your snorkel equipment.

Every Tuesday there's a buffet dinner and show at the hotel, it's 7500 XPF per person. Like most places in French Polynesia the food is okay, the show had some good moments, but nothing spectacular.

When we walked by we didn't see to many people at the pool, but it looked nice and the hot-tub was drained and cleaned every night.

Others have posted about the villas themselves (we loved them too) but if you have questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Attached Files:

deant likes this.
  8. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many pro's & con's to both. More time & $$ to go to/from BOB than MOZ from PPT. Nui has larger bungalows, but as a couple we never really used the other half of the bungalow (there are actually dividers), the water is a lot rougher at Nui and as gleff said, snorkeling is better at MOZ (although no where near St John, Bonaire, etc)

I'm glad I went to both, as they're both great for different reasons, but i'm more likely to heard back to MOZ than BOB.

9. edison
    Original Member

edison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pete, Tim O'Brien and deant like this.
  10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few more details:

General email (best responses): rooms.mgr@hilton-moorea.pf
    Other e-mails:
    Chef de brigade <cdb@hilton-moorea.pf>
    rose.richmond@hilton-moorea.pf
    barbara.martin@hilton-moorea.pf

Bungalow categories (map attached to earlier post)
    37 Panoramic Overwater Bungalow
    17 Overwater Bungalow
    3 Lagoon Bungalow
    1 Deluxe Garden Bungalow
    26 Deluxe Garden Bungalow with Pool
    2 Garden Pool Suite
    20 Garden Bungalows with Pool