Hilton Miles claim - abandon or pursue?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Flying Bat, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a story.

A friend of mine worked for a few companies, as an employee, which required extensive travel. He took out a HH card at the beginning and presented the card over on each and every stay. The period of time exceeded ten years and his number of visits well into into three figures.

The friend led a busy life and he assumed all was good, rewards perhaps not as big a feature of his life priorities as they might be for some of us.

Only recently he discovered that the card was never registered. It is practically impossible for him to reach out for the associated paperwork as it was always handed in to the various companies who employed him for his expense claims. Some of those companies no longer exist.

Is there anything to be done?

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    What your friend is going to have to decide is whether it's worth any effort....

Most people value Hilton points at about a half penny a piece --

For example, assume he had the card for just 10 years and moved $20,000 a year through it (for most of us that would be a lot).

He'd have lost a total of 200,000 points, but at best they might be good for five nights at 40,000 points per night.

I'd just cancel the card and get a different one, perhaps Amex and be happy with the signing bonus.

DTWBOB

Flying Bat likes this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume the card "took out" was a HH credit card whether Citi Visa or HH Amex.

The card does not have to be registered .. generally if you do not provide (or in his case might not have even opened) a HH account the card issuer will assign one to you in your name and with your address and all the points charged on that card will go into that account.
    It is not difficult at all to get that number from the credit card company and in turn contact HHonors to see if the associated account, in his name has the points earned. Now if he hasnt earned any points (recently over say the last 18 months???) then HH might have removed the points from the account for being dormant and he will have lost the points.. but still HH will be able to tell him that.

I do find it very surprising that despite submitting the bills to be paid by his employers he has not kept any records but even at that the statements from the card issuer will quite clearly show a concise breakdown of the charges at Hilton properties.

Flying Bat likes this.
  4. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply but I should have been clearer - the HH referred to a HIlton account, just a card for registering his stays so he could collect HH points, not a credit card. So he gave over his HH account card every time he checked in, if it were a financial card then there would be a paper trail. In absence of a registered HH card, we have a problem

5. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ye
    I think this valuation may be about right, but just to be clear, are you using penny in the UK gbp sense, or penny as in US $ sense ( sorry no pun intended ).

I totally agree, there's always the question of balancing reward and effort.

6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    US --- penny not pence (as used on *that* side of the pond).

DTWBOB

Flying Bat likes this.
  7. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha
    Two nations divided by a common language.

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least 'they' don't use those looney or tooney things.

Anybody seen a good cartoon recently?

DTWBOB

circi likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldnt give up on this that easily. Since he received a Hilton Honors card listing a account number there will be a "join date" associated with it. As far as verifying whether he stayed at any Hilton property could be easily determined by the payments shown on his credit card statements (he didnt pay with cash did he?)
    Now here comes the tricky part.. if he can match the proximity of obtaining the card and his first stay then the case could be made that the sole purpose of the getting the card would be get HH points. Not sure how far back HH will give credit and he might well be past their time limits.

Another approach might be to see if the hotel records can document his stays ....anyone who stay that much in one property should expect a considerable degree of cooperation from the them.
    Since he claimed to have shown the card to the front desk then perhaps an old folio can show one way or other whether his number was inputted correctly into their system (or at all for that matter)

BTW $20K in HH property charges amount to 200K points per year not to mention the Diamond bonus he would have gotten if he had charged enough to earn 100k points annually and the associated status.
    We could be talking about millions of lost points here.:)

Flying Bat likes this.
  10. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your assessment and you have made some very constructive comments. This might not be a claim for a small thing but time has ticked on which doesn't help. I need to think about this quite seriously.

Thanks again

11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the first step should be contacting Hhonors about the registration. Seems like if you obtain a card, then Hhonors probably registered it. They may have not sent statements out, but it is entirely possible that there are a bunch of points living in some sort of Hhonors account.

I don't remember ever registering mine and I have used and accumulated points for quite some time.

12. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not to be negative, but it is hard to believe that over a period of 10 years of extensive travel, never once did your friend check his HHonors account. Does your friend have copies of ANY folios or can he contact one of his employers to get a copy? Do those show a HHonors number?

13. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not too sure of your evaluation there. He would certainly have status, likely Diamond, and perhaps registered for the Q1-4 promotions.

I can pull in easily 200,000 points a year with about $12,000 of spending on a diamond account.

Over 10 years, he should have lost a heck of a lot more than just 200,000 points.

14. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking just plain ole points for non Hilton uses of the card, I doubt this guy even knows promos exist.

DTWBOB

Flying Bat likes this.
  15. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could have sworn when you app'd and got approved they created an account for you if you didn't state the HH account or it auto matched.

Flying Bat likes this.
  16. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If he reported his HHonors number every time he stayed in a Hilton, how is it possible that none of the stays credited to his account? The card would have shown the HHonors account number, that's the number that would have been attached to the stay record. I'm not sure what "registering" an HHonors membership card would even mean -- if you have the card, a matching account must exist, right?

I can imagine an occasional stay "going missing", but every single stay over ten years? That's hard to envision.

Are you sure the points weren't there and then expired after some amount of inactivity?

Flying Bat likes this.
  17. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not believable.

Flying Bat likes this.
  18. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is the key.

I'm not sure what "registering" an HHonors membership card would even mean -- if you have the card, a matching account must exist, right?

My understanding s that it is NOT enough to have a card, but it is critical, it must be registered. Where it is not registered any loyalty credit cannot match to anything. Where there is a time lag between a credit and a stay it would be difficult to alert someone of non registration.

19. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm an HHonors member (through some instant-status offer) but I haven't had any eligible stays since I got the account. I don't think I have a physical card of any kind. So I'm only guessing how the process would have worked for your friend.

However, if he did have a card, I imagine that it would have shown his HHonors member number. When he showed the card at check-in, that number would have been added to the reservation record in the HHonors member number field. At that point, I don't see any way for the stays not to credit (assuming that the stay was eligible, which at least some of them over a ten year period must have been).

20. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton doesn't require you to use a Hilton 'number' to book a reservation and I've never had to show anything but a credit card and sometimes a driver's license to check in.

DTWBOB

Flying Bat likes this.
  21. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course not. You don't have to be an HHonors member to stay at Hilton and if you are a member, you don't have to tell the hotel or claim the stay credit.

But in this case, the original claim is
    Given that it's claimed that an HHonors card was presented for every stay over a ten year period, I can't see how it's possible none of the stays credited.

baliparis and Flying Bat like this.
  22. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This not quite correct the fact that he had a HH card means the account was " registered" so that is certainly not the problem here.

What I rather suspect that somehow the account number associated with name and address with HH did not match the number on his card. As a longtime HH member my account number as as originally listed on both my HH card and account starts with 44(five digits) and yet for a number of years if front desk personnel did not insert two zeros (00) preceding the 44 they were unable to access my account/details.

What I suspect is that they guy probably presented his card a few times and the FD told him
    " sir I can see your number in our system" ( i have never had one CSR ever take my card and check it against what the have on record) so after doing that a few times he assumed the number they were seeing was a) correct and b) "in the system" that is exactly why I suggested the modus operandi here should be to make an attempt to get his hand on a old folio and see if there is a number at all inserted and if it matches his number.

Flying Bat likes this.
  23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing the points expired from inactivity. A call to HHonors with his number should confirm this.

That, or someone wants retroactive credit...

24. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize HH points has an expiration date. I stay so frequently that I suppose I never gave it much thought.