Hilton Miami Airport

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Miami Airport is about a 10 minute drive from the terminals of MIA- it is near the Sofitel and the Large Burger King building. The hotel is an older property, however the rooms have been recently updated.

Good:
    Very Friendly Staff
    Fast Check-In
    Upgrades for Elite Members- Excellent overall HHonors recognition
    Fairly Convenient to MIA
    Coral Cafe (Restaurant on site for dinner) has both buffet and menu options and pretty good quality food for airport hotel with OK pricing (full dinner entree 20-25 USD, buffett 24)
    Rooms Overall
    Internet connection quite fast
    Hilton Breakfast- good quality for airport hotel

Not As Good:
    If you are here without a car- there is nothing around the area- FYI
    Bathrooms were not updated with rooms
    SoundProofing Not the best- you can hear the airplanes quite well in the rooms (maybe a problem for light sleepers?)
    Lobby/Public areas very dated in appearance- 1970s airport hotel feeling

I have stayed at a few hotels around Miami Airport- this is a draw with the Marriott (if you are gold or better there) and quite a bit better than the (newly branded) Sheraton.

I will stay here again.

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed at this hotel in years but back when I used to travel to Miami often, I LOVED this hotel. Really enjoyed the BIG outdoor pool area next to the lagoon. I also seem to recall some good Cuban restaurants in the nearby stripmalls, it was nice to get some ethnic eats without having to drive far at all. Glad to hear it got a refurb.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie- the pool and the lagoon are certainly a high point of this hotel- it is really nice to have this at the airport- the view is also good if you are on the side of the hotel facing the airport and water on higher floors.

4. opushomes
    Original Member

opushomes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not trying to be a naysayer, but this property is on a par with the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport (if it still is one) and better than the DoubleTree (if it still is one) Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

I guess some of us have a different perspective.

At 10 a.m. check in was fast.

Upgrades for elite members??? A standard room on a floor that has a sign reading "HHonors" is not an upgrade even if it has a view of the MIA runways. A large empty room with the only content being an empty refrigerator is not an executive lounge. A free beer or generic wine is nice and a single appetizer at the bar is also nice, but it is not an executive lounge.

An overpriced hamburger is not a bargain.

Did I forget to add that they allow locals to use the pool and be as obnoxious as they can be. I guess if a hotel can sell as much booze as they can to drunken non-guests it is a win for them.

Best feature of this property is that they schlep one from and to the airport.

gemac likes this.
  5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Doubletree Ft. Lauderdale Beach was closed for extensive renovation, then re-opened as a Courtyard by Marriott.

On the other hand, the FLL Airport Hilton, after a period as a Wyndham, returned to the Hilton fold (there's also a new-build Homewood on the opposite side of the freeway from the Hilton),

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, going back a ways for me but I don't recall the pool being crowded, ever. Can you share specifics as to your locals statement?