Review Hilton Metropole Hotel, London [ Review & Photos ]

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by uggboy, Mar 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had recently the opportunity to stay at the Hilton Metropole Hotel in London, here are some of our impressions:

We arrived from LHR and have taken the tube [ Underground ] to Edgware Road from which the hotel is visible from coming out of the station. The journey time was around 75 minutes.

Be aware that Paddington Station for the HEX // Heathrow Express is within 10 to 12 minutes walking distance from the hotel, this would another options to consider, but we love the tube and had the time to enjoy it too.

[​IMG]
    " Edgware Road Station, London, England, United Kingdom " by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Edgware Road Station exterior ^

Within 5 minutes we entered the lobby of this large hotel which offers over 1000 rooms plus restaurants, conference center, suites, business offerings, executive lounge, bars and even a indoor swimming pool.

[​IMG]
    " Landmark In Hospitality " by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Hotel exterior incl. Tower wing and Executive wing

Check-in: A nice and warm experience, instant recognition as Diamond, executive room upgrade from entrance category room booked. Very efficient and fast plus she described all the amenities within the hotel and we felt well looked after.

Our room: 4th floor Executive wing room, medium sized, art deco furnishings, nice light blond wood with some darker accents, views over beautiful historic houses and some offices. We had a large TV, king size bed which was very comfortable as always with Hilton, some interesting modern art was also on the walls. Internet was fast and free as a Diamond. The bathroom was of a good size and marbled, separate shower stall and bathtub plus Peter Thomas Roth amenities. Overall, a great room with superb design, views and comfort.

[​IMG]
    " Landmark Hospitality In The Heart Of The Capital City : ENJOY! " by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Our Executive Room on the 4th floor of the Executive wing ^

Club Lounge: A good and busy lounge, liked the layout and offerings, we had afternoon tea here incl. finger sandwiches, tea, coffee and sweet cakes. The evening brought some nice wine // red // white plus spirits, mixers and a cheese plate, nuts, hot food items and many people. At breakfast we found it equally busy and a good choice of continental breakfast incl. cold cuts, bread selection, cereals, coffee selection, milk, juices, fruits and on and on. Overall, a very good experience in comfort and quality as in quantity. The lounge offers also WIFI, news magazines and papers.

[​IMG]
    " Landmark Hospitality In The Capital : Excutive Club Lounge during a Saturday Afternoon : ENJOY! by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Afternoon tea in the Executive Lounge incl. Cappuccino, finger sandwiches, OJ's and cakes. ^

Overall: A great hotel, a large hotel which does not feel large! We found a great location which was surrounded by restaurants, cafes, supermarkets and the Edgware tube station, we had an evening stroll to Kensington High Street and shopped a bit at the Whole Foods Market there and enjoyed the evening busy atmosphere there. The next day we visited the Design Museum at the Shed in London near the Tower Bridge and Butlers Wharf and enjoyed the Terence Conran exhibition there.

The Club Lounge and service in this hotel are great and we found it splendid. Breakfast was superb, our room was comfortable as were the views. We had room service dinner after our excursion to Kensington High Street on the late evening incl. asian soup, chicken satay and some nice granola dessert, a good and authentic quality.

[​IMG]
    " Landmark Hospitality In The Capital : Room Service incl. Chicken Satay, Asian Shrimp Soup, Bread Selection and Greek Yoghurt with Granola " by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Chicken Satay in the late evening from room service, very enjoyable! ^

Check-out was a near breeze because we had to wait a few minutes, the lobby was busy, but from then it was fast and friendly again, they took our luggage to their storage room without any problems and we could enjoy some more hours in London before our flight from LHR.

Would I want to stay at this hotel again? YES!

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? YES!

Thanks for reading and I hope you like the review!:)

eponymous_coward, 8MiHi, RAPC and 2 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are some additonal photos from our stay at the Hilton Metropole Hotel, London, England, UK:

[​IMG]
    " Landmark Hospitality In The Heart Of The Capital City : ENJOY! " by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ Another impression of our Executive Room with inspirational art "

[​IMG]

^ View from our room over beautiful historic houses "

[​IMG]

^ Bathroom, sink, tub // there was also a separate shower stall ^

[​IMG]

^ Peter Thomas Roth amenities in the bathroom "

[​IMG]
    " The Window Cleaner : A Sculpture by Allan Sly : Looking Up Capital House, Edgware Road, London, England, UK : Urban Art " by UggBoy♥UggGirl [ PHOTO // WORLD // TRAVEL ], on Flickr

^ The famous Window Cleaner sculpture by Alan Sly located between the Hilton Metropole Hotel and the Edgware Road Station // look up towards Capital House ^

Thanks fellow MP'ers, happy and safe travels!:)

eponymous_coward, 8MiHi and PedroNY like this.
  3. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for a great review! I'm actually booked into this location in a few weeks time for a conference and will be staying for three weeks. Having never stayed at this hotel before, this review gives me a good sense of what to expect. Thanks.

Jason

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the compliments! WOW, for three weeks, you will get surely a great insight into this property and please report back your findings here on MP! Safe travels and wishing you a great stay!:)

5. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Blaming the jet lag...I meant three nights, not three weeks. After my stay there, I will have 3 nights over at the Hilton Green Park which is a location I have stayed at on a few occasions including holing up there during the ash cloud shutdown.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can always happen and we all know jet lag only too well! 3 nights sounds great too plus 3 nights at their Green Park property! Report back on both, especially now that Green Park is a totally different proposition from the Metropole! Cheers and safe travels!:)

7. frankmu

frankmu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great review! We stayed there this weekend, and found it appropriate for our family of four. We stayed in the Family Superior room, with two queen beds. No diamond upgrades, told our room was good enough. Check a couple of hours early, without a fuss, so no big deal. Actually, I got what I paid for (December Sale rates) and that was fine. There's a Marks and Spencer across the street if you needed a small grocery store, and Patisserie Valerie (a chain French pastry shop) that the kids loved.

We took the Heathrow Express from LHR which was expensive (there's a thread in FT for discounts, used one of those), but only 15 minutes both ways. Walked the 5-10 minutes from Paddington Station, nice after being stuck in economy for 9 hours (my wife and kids got upgrades to Business, but not me... thanks United :mad: ). By the way, there is also another Edgware Road Underground Station, just north past the overpass, for the Bakerloo Line. Buses are very convenient.

Hey, I noticed you got a mending kit! We didn't get one ;)

Nice pictures of the hotel and station uggboy, can I borrow them? (totally spaced and forgot to take pictures of the hotel)

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be my guest! Thanks for your compliments and follow up insights on your stay at this property!:)

8MiHi likes this.
  9. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great review once again, so thanks for sharing.

As a semi-regular at this property, here are a couple of tips I can add:

1) As a Diamond, you can also have the full buffet breakfast in the main restaurant without charge.
    2) The Executive rooms are very hit and miss, with a mixture of older and refurbished rooms. It looks like you were in one of the good unrefurbished rooms. Some of the refurbished rooms are pretty small.
    3) Personally I prefer the Deluxe and Superior rooms in the West Wing and would advise Diamonds in particular to request these on their reservation. The hotel is very happy to keep Diamonds out of the Executive rooms as it means they can accomodate more Gold upgrades. These West Wing rooms are a fair bit larger and are modern rooms with better sound proofing.

Glad you had a good stay. Looks like the lounge has improved a bit with their offering. It used to be pretty dire, especially during the week.

8MiHi, uggboy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your additional insights, we like the property very much, so far we had only very good experiences and are most likely to return here in the future!:)

astraveln, 8MiHi and RAPC like this.
  11. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at this property in 2007. I believe I had Gold at that time, we had the room for 200 pounds with 2 beds and a fold out couch. Accomodations were great, it worked really well for 4 people. The best was the fact that they gave free breakfast to everyone (not just 2 people), so we saved a significant amount of money on the food. I really enjoyed the location, it is a short walk to the Paddington station, and with Heathrow Express right there. Also, not sure if that is still the case but they had beautiful "show cars" parked outside everyday, that was fun to see for car aficionados.

Cheers,

PedroNY

astraveln, uggboy and RAPC like this.
  13. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a very under-rated property in my opinion. It isn't the most luxurious option and not quite in the centre of London, but it is easy to get around from there as a base and the hotel do make an effort for HHonors guests too. It's also usually a bit cheaper than most other London Hilton options, so another reason to like it!

14. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just finished up a four night stay at the Metropole and don't feel a need to do an in-depth review of it as uggboy has done a nice, comprehensive job of touching on most of the main points.

My experience was somewhat the same although I don't personally feel like it is a "large hotel that doesn't feel large." It is a massive hotel that is always busy. There is really not anything about it that is warm and inviting, in my opinion. That being said, the staff is excellent and friendly. The business facilities are very good (I was there for a conference).

This is probably not a place I would go back to unless there was a clear need to be there but they deliver great service in a hotel that is designed to be what it is..just not a personal favorite.

Jason

astraveln and uggboy like this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very good review and great pictures. I reviewed the hotel elsewhere and yours is better. We really liked the people there.

17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad that you like the hotel. Cheers and safe travels.

astraveln likes this.
  18. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi, astraveln and uggboy like this.
  19. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, great review. I have stayed at the Tower Bridge last time(Feb) and was very impressed with that property, modern rooms and nice lounge. Heading back in a few months.....

Anyone who hase stayed at both who could provide insight would be great.

8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tower Bridge is Category 8 and in a great spot for tourists. The Metropole is category 7 and in a good spot for transportation and is generally less expensive.
    As much as I like the Metropole, I would be curious about the Tower Bridge and would stay there if the costs were competitive.