Hilton Luxembourg - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by JasonH, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Luxembourg is located outside of town. This is not a hotel you can walk to from downtown, but they do have a shuttle service and the Luxembourg bus system is excellent and the final stop on one of the lines is just outside the hotel grounds.

We arrived very early on the TGV from Paris and so our rooms were not ready. The staff was very happy to handle all the check-in procedures and hold our bags so we could just come back and get our keys. Despite not reserving a shuttle ride back to town the driver was more than happy to accomodate us since he had room. My wife (bless her Southern charms) chatted with the driver while waiting on the other guests and after dropping them off he gave us a quick driving tour of the city and pointed out places of interest, good places to eat, and his personal favorite stores.

When we returned in the late afternoon our rooms were ready and they remembered us, which was good because I had lost the claim ticket for my backpack. The rooms were spacious, but they weren't what I would call modern. We had a balcony and were able to sit and watch the rain move in over the city. The views from my hotel room (second set, last picture) were excellent.

Room service was prompt and the food was excellent. We skipped the hotel breakfast in order to enjoy a breakfast at a cafe in the old town, but the restaurant did look busy when we left.

This is the only hotel in Luxembourg that is part of the major chains. There might be some European chain hotels, but I'm not sure. Despite the location a bit away from downtown this is a great hotel in which to spend a few days in Luxembourg.

uggboy, worldtraveller2 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they did a major overhual this property calling it "not modern" is an major understatement. The place reminded me of Miami Beach hotels in the 60s. ( proably hasnt been painted since)
    While our last stay was OK we had to fight to get breakfast as Diamond since "were upgraded" and I was non too pleased with the interaction with the manager on the breakfast topic. No other amenities were provided not even a bottle of water.
    The bellman was also the parking attendant so one often had to wait to get your luggage or altenately your car.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find this hotel very odd, from the parking to the services. It remind me very much of the 1970's era quasi-suburban places like the UK chains Thistle and others. It was quite acceptable, but had zero distinction. It was cheap, we paid Euro85 for a double including breakfast, and there was a Diamond upgrade.

uggboy, JasonH and newbluesea like this.
  4. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    After a month in Paris and the Parisian "charm" I found the staff refreshing. Though horribly understaffed when we were there due to a conference or some sort. And as you said.. the price is right [​IMG].

If you want a real... umm... "historic" property I can give you a few I've stayed at in Canada. Or the Railroad workers hotel one of my team members had to stay at in Nebraska [​IMG].

I'm confused by the parking attendant statement. I thought there was a self-park option, of course I might be wrong. My mode of transportation was my feet, the Luxembourg bus system, and SNCF.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does have a self park option. I used it.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes the hotel is self park which I did my own parking however if you wish the bellman/parking attendant/concierge (yes he was the concierge also) would he go fetch your car for you as per the requests of some older German guests I observed during our stay.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hotel seems to be in the middle of getting rebranded as a Doubletree. All the signs in town and on the building itself still say Hilton, but once inside it seems to consistently use the Doubletree or Doubletree by Hilton moniker. Cookies were offered at check-in when we stayed there last night, much to the delight of my wife. Room was a bit dated, with small CRT TV, weak wifi (iPad saw it, iPad 2 didn't) and worn-out carpet.

Breakfast for two was included in my 66 EUR prepaid rate and wasn't bad at all, except for the terrible instant (?) coffee they use in both the room and restaurant.

Parking was free and the staff was friendly. Room service (not used) seemed a bit pricey, with a hamburger going for nearly $20.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this mean the hotel will be rebranded as a Doubletree?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review! Indeed, beside the Hilton, the french giant Accor has 2 Sofitel properties and some others in Luxembourg and the spanish chain Melia Hotels has the Melia Luxembourg on the Kirchberg plateau.:)

One of the Sofitel is an older property near all the EU institutions, whilte the Sofitel Grand Ducale is a Designer hotel option we have stayed in at one time, great service, design and facade, plus superb food offerings and all within walking distance to shops, restaurants and museums in Downtown Luxembourg. The Melia we have also stayed more recently earlier this year 2011 is a 4 star hotel, very modern and offers also great design features, only the food was a bit limited and the executive offerings are more an afterthougt than a reason to stay here. However the location in Kirchberg has put us in architectural central with the awesome Mudam museum and Philharmony hall as neighbours.:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's shown as a Doubletree on the Hilton website:

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/LXMHIDI-DoubleTree-by-Hilton-Hotel-Luxembourg/index.do

The page says in red: formerly the Hilton Luxembourg.

Seems like a costly rebranding exercise for a property that stays within the Hilton family. Is this forced upon them due to them no longer meeting all the brand requirements for the Hilton brand?