Hilton Los Angeles Airport

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by wombat18, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the six years since I last stayed at this Hilton, things have slipped a little. The carpets are a bit stained, the elevators a bit banged around, the doors chipped and scuffed, the plywood looking a bit dated, and the staff distracted. I guess this is what happens in a high-traffic hotel, but it is nevertheless disappointing.

The hotel is still a bit difficult to get to from the airport, but the shuttle runs regularly and is easy to pick up at LAX. It is close to some of the rental car companies (eg Budget, Hertz), walking distance. There's a Carl's Jr. half a block away.

The parking is peculiar, as it is a separate business for Hilton. That is, it operates as a parking garage for folks not staying at the hotel, and surprisingly Hilton guests don't get the best rates.

Pro's: 24 shuttle service from airport, calm decor, good dining options, and spacious lobby.
    Con's: Expensive on-site parking, expensive food options for an airport hotel, high-traffic facility, temporary executive lounge was abysmal.

uggboy likes this.
  2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with most of this post. We have stayed here a couple of times per year for the last 5 years. We (HH Gold) are routinely offered breakfast when staying on Priceline stays, which is nice and not a HHonors benefit, as I understand it. The rooms we have stayed in have been OK, not noticably shabby. We usually ask for a room on the side away from the runway, and have not been bothered by noise. LAX can be pretty busy from about 6 AM until about 12:30 AM, so this is important. Beds are pretty good. The airport shuttle runs about every 15 minutes. When we stay there, we only use it as a place to sleep, and it is fine for that.

uggboy likes this.
  3. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay here all the time when I'm in need of Hilton stays (much prefer the Westin LAX, but, I digress).

• The lounge here is small and it never has anything particuarly good/decent food out. It's a place to work, though.
    • Check-in is seemingly always absurdly slow even as a Diamond
    • The carpets, as have been noted are looking a bit thin
    • The parking racket is run by a 3rd party vendor. To get your car from the valet, you need to pay the front desk first and get a special ticket. Last time I waited in line for a while for this they didn't bother to actually charge me.
    • The hotel restaurants are not too good IME. At least one is 24x7, though.
    • The shuttle to/from LAX is frequent and efficient. During peak time at the hotel occasionally you will need to queue for the shuttle and will not make it on the first one. It's stop #1 ex-LAX and LAX is stop #2 ex-Hilton.
    In general this is my #2 LAX option. I try and avoid it but when I'm looking to secure Hilton stays it's cheap and convenient.

uggboy and gvdIAD like this.
  4. It dosn't seem like it was that long ago that the hotel received a fairly significant remodel. As most of us know, however, airport hotels really do get beaten up.

uggboy likes this.
  5. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    One reason I keep coming back to this hotel is the on-site Hertz rental facility, open weekdays and Saturday mornings, which generally has cheaper rates than the official LAX facility. Weekend rates at the Hilton LAX tend to be very inexpensive. The hotel attracts large groups, and it is used by numerous flight crews. The shuttle stops at the 4 Points on the way to LAX, but as that hotel is generally on the way, it seems to add no more than 5 minutes to the trip.

uggboy likes this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here a few times, but now prefer the Doubletree, mostly because it has a nicer, larger pool that is suitable for lap swimming. Also, Diamonds get breakfast in the restaurant, which is better than the lounge breakfast at the Hilton (neither is much to crow about).

uggboy likes this.
  7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of those Hiltons where (as a Diamond Member) I was not upgraded to the next room class. When I inquired about it, the front desk clerk checking me in said it was because the hotel was full. Later, I commented to one of the bellman about the hotel being full and his reply was, "Nah, not even busy."

Draw your own conclusions.

uggboy likes this.
  8. It's been about 7 years since my last stay at the LAX Hilton (Gold at the time, Diamond now) and I was really hoping to read that things had improved.

I'm curious if your "My Way" preference is set for the upgrade, or the bonus points? The reason I ask is because some properties are good about doing both and was curious if that's what you were hoping for, or if you had the MyWay choice for an upgrade and the property just chose to ignore it.

uggboy likes this.
  9. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    "My Way" preference is definitely set to the upgrade option. I experienced the same thing at the Chicago Hilton in December.

uggboy likes this.
  10. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    At LAX I usually stay at the Sheraton Gateway, the Westin or the Hilton. Choice is entirely on price, as all of them are a bit worn and tired. Nothing to write home about fornanynof them.

uggboy likes this.
  11. Thanks for clarifying! :)

uggboy likes this.
  12. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard this is a common experience, and I understand that sometimes there is over 100 Diamonds staying on any particular night. In my mind, that sounds like an excuse and certainly a reason why they need to do better, much better with their lounge and their breakfast.

uggboy likes this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's all about the upgrade. [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the Westin LAX as well.

If staying at the Hilton LAX and I'm in the mood for more than one drink but do not wish to pay hotel prices, on the street behind the Hilton about a block/maybe 2 blocks away, is an inconspicuous little liquor store where one can get drinks for back in the room.

uggboy and wombat18 like this.
  15. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Westin is nice too. Normally, we arrive at a hotel at LAX around 10:30 or 11 PM, leave the next morning around 7, so the bed is the main thing for us.

uggboy likes this.
  16. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Quick question on this property. We're staying for 3 nights next weekend in conjunction with a conference on property. I'm Gold on Hilton (so should expect to get free internet and lounge access I'm presuming). Offered the NOR1 upgrades - $8 for King corner room - $15 for King Tower room (don't think I should choose this since "should" get it being a Gold anyways?) - and $40 for King Tower Suite. Are any of the offers worthwhile? Thanks!!!

1 person likes this.
  17. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never gotten an upgrade here (AFAIK) as a Diamond and probably going on 20 stays. It's always super busy so if you want the upgrade I suggest you pay for it. The lounge is nothing to get excited over.

uggboy likes this.
  18. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Gold, you should get free internet and free breakfast. We Golds only get lounge access if we are upgraded to an executive room.

uggboy and peteropny like this.
  19. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - perhaps I should hope not to get the executive room - that way it's a restaurant breakfast?

uggboy likes this.
  20. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the LAX Hilton, as a Gold they have offered the lounge breakfast for us. Not bad, but nothing to write home about either. You could ask about a voucher for restaurant breakfast and see what happens.

uggboy likes this.
  21. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take the restaurant breakfast.Much better food.

uggboy likes this.
  22. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the redeeming qualities in the past at this hotel was the great opportunities for Plane watching at the Executive Lounge, Is the EL still in the Tower?

uggboy likes this.
  23. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The EL does have a view of the runways. I realized that I never did report back on my stay. I did apply for the NOR1 upgrades - and got one of the King Corner rooms for $8 upcharge - on the 5th floor looking on the roof of the conference room areas? - while the room is a good size, there is a lot of wasted space - nonetheless it was a good upgrade for the $8 upcharge - Gold amenities were free internet (which worked for a while with the code given out then didn't but they said to just charge to the room and the charge never showed up on the folio) and EL access (even though not on the floor). All in all a decent stay if nothing spectacular (which for this type of hotel never is).

24. Chicago Paladin

Chicago Paladin Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi - I stayed here about a week ago. Arrived late to LAX and waited around 20 minutes for a shuttle bus - I always regret not just taking a cab. In any case, the front desk person remarked hotel was packed and it looked packed. No upgrade as a diamond. The lobby at midnight was filled with people. No upgrade as a diamond and tried the breakfast at the lounge. As everyone has said, nothing to write home about on the lounge or the breakfast. Room was fine and unremarkable.

I had rented a car at Avis so walked over there - while the Avis lot was nearby, I had to walk quite a bit more to get to the actual entrance and the preferred check in area.

Prior to my arrival the manager had sent me an email welcoming me back to the hotel, asking if I needed anything, etc. Even though this was a form email, still appreciated. I requested a crib which of course was not waiting in the room. However, a quick call to housekeeping and they came right up with a pack-and-play.