Hilton Los Angeles Airport reviews

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by DAS02135, Dec 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Los Angeles Airport is the only LAX airport at which I’ve stayed. For the reasons listed below, it works well for me, so I’ve never tried any of the other ones in the past five years. The room rate is often around $179, but it depends on the season and how far in advance you book.

Here’s why I keep coming back:
    • Avis rental car return in the basement parking garage. This is a huge time saver, and it is honestly the reason I’ve never looked at the other HHonors properties.
    • Decent Executive Lounge. The food offerings are standard. In the morning, there’s fruit, yogurt, pastries, muffins, juice and coffee. In the evening, there are two hot finger foods, veggies, and cookies. Wine, beer, and liquor are available, but are not free. It is pretty comfortable, with an area around the food with Hampton Inn-esque breakfast tables, a lounge area with couches, and a little nook with a couple tables were you The lounge can get very crowded when it opens in the morning and evenings, sometimes making it difficult to find a place to sit.
    • The rooms are quiet. The hotel is very near the airport and LAX has takeoffs and landings well into the night, so good soundproofing is important.
    • Food options are available 24/7. The counter-service café is open 24-hours-a-day and will serve anything on its menu at any time of the day. This is wonderful when you’re leaving at 5am but don’t enjoy breakfast food like I do! There’s also a sports bar and two other restaurants.
    • Some recognition of status. There is a separate check-in queue for HHonors members, and it often moves faster than the regular line. In addition, as a Diamond or Gold, I have always been upgraded to one of the Executive Floors, even though my On-Property Benefit is points. I’ve never received anything special or felt anyone went above and beyond because of my status, but it’s better than nothing.

There are also a few annoyances with the property, including:
    • The airline ticket printing terminals in the lobby often do not work. It’s not the end of the world to have to print your ticket at the airport, but it’s still pretty annoying that these machines rarely work (and there’s never a sign when they’re malfunctioning).
    • The shuttle fills up quickly. While it’s never happened to me, I’ve heard stories from a lot of people about not being able to get onto the airport shuttle because it filled up before they could board.

uggboy likes this.
  2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some rooms at this property are pretty bad and in need of refurbishing.
    Also on weekends they tend to rent out the ball/meeting rooms for weddings or graduation parties and the noise, screaming kids running around and generally rowdiness can be quite off-putting compounded by the slow and crowded elevators.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any big hotel with banquet rooms will be like that on weekends -- which is one reason we prefer HGIs.

I haven't stayed at this particular Hilton, but have used the ES near LAX -- it's a big sprawling place and would go there again.

The one difference is you have to call the ES to be picked up at LAX, but not the full Hilton.

DTWBOB

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there on a Friday night thismonth and didn't notice any problem with noise at all, so I guess it's sporatic.

6. sjlacour

sjlacour Member

Status Points:
    I like this hotel, too. Another possible plus is that it's minority owned. The executive lounge food is good, but it has been pretty crowded during weekday stays. And the prices for the cocktails are pretty steep.

Never had any issues with expediant check-in, but haven't been upgraded to the towers EVERY time, about 60% success...I'm diamond.

Final plus is their workout area....nice equipment and large area.