Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by VeryGoodPoints, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't see any other threads about this specific hotel.

Wondering what the general opinion of this hotel is. Have a stay here this week.

Good area/bad area?
    Good hotel/bad hotel?

Thanks

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there several times, but the last time was about ten years ago. The rooms were small and the ground floor looked like one had walked into an opec convention. It was actually funny to watch some of the (opec)guests being picked up in Mercedes 600 limos and driving just up the road to Marble Arch, where they would exit the car and hold up their robes while running after the local prostitutes. The location is good, although I prefer being in Knightsbridge. Trader Vic's downstairs had excellent food.

8MiHi and VeryGoodPoints like this.
  3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm here at the Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel. The hotel was built in 1905 and is on the historic register of buildings, so very little can be done to the physical building - and it's showing its age. The lobby is quite small and there are only two reception desks. There is one couch and two small chairs in the lobby, so seating space is limited.

There is a restaurant on the first floor. Breakfast is included for Gold members and higher. The breakfast is okay (nothing special).

If you want to get anything taken care of at the hotel, you must speak with a duty manager or higher. The staff - other than the managers - are incompetent. I will post a full report on my blog at the end of the stay (I've already talked to the GM of the hotel and Hilton Corporate about the issues...and there's been a lot of them.)

The rooms in the hotel are small and some are extremely small. The first room I was given was a single bed with a small shower a TV stand w/TV and a chair. The room was so small I told the hotel I couldn't imagine spending 2 weeks in that room w/out going crazy and wanted something else. The second room they gave me had a double bed, a small chair, a desk and a TV stand w/TV, a bathtub (no shower.) the phone in the room was missing keys and the bathtub was rusty. I moved to a third room that has a bathtub/shower combo, a double bed, a desk, TV stand and TV and a larger chair. I asked that the chair be removed so that I had someplace to put my suitcase and a little room to walk around the bed. This room is OK, but not great. The floor is stained, there is paint chipping everywhere, it's a corner room so it has a nice view, but the wireless signal is weak (there's no hard wired internet in the hotel).

The location could be good or bad - depends on why you're in town. For me, the location is not the greatest. I chose this hotel based on price only. Since my stay overlapped the Paralympics, hotel rates were much higher than normal. If you were here to sight-see or attend the Paralympics, this would be an okay location.

I wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel again. I will give Hilton another try because of the care and attention the GM and Duty Managers have paid to trying to make things right. However, in the end, they can't fix the size of the rooms, the age of the property and the location.

4. ecleppe

ecleppe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I browsed this hotel's reviews a few weeks ago, but wasn't really convinced. Booking made for the Tower Hill one now.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here twice (2 nights with spouse and 5 nights by myself) and enjoyed it. Yes it is an Edwardian artifact with some quirks, but it is across the street from Kensington Palace and Hyde Park at an intersection of very different neighborhoods. Obviously I must have had better luck with my room selection, but the people were welcoming and helpful.