Hilton launches boutique Curio brand

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by uggboy, Jun 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton launches boutique Curio brand

We look forward to learn more about this new brand / brands in the future and what will make the Curio brand different from the competition. Also of note is the launch of a new Lifestyle brand which promises to be cheaper as what the market now offers. Interesting times ahead for Hilton.

SEE:

http://www.curiocollection.com/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many more brands within a brand do they need? Seems like there will come a point where the traveler, frequent or not, will just choose one familiar brand type and stick with it rather then try all the "new" and just slightly different new name from a hotel group, and at a higher price too.

Remember when all the car companies were going great guns and offering more and different models under each brand's nameplate? Seems like they got overextended, and when the economy dumped, they had to get rid of some very familiar nameplates. Remember Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs (we have one), Saturns, all with their different models, the Hummer (now sold to the Chinese), all the Mercury models, and others.

Why not just concentrate in making your familiar brands even better and more competitive, instead of trying to bring out new, "flashier" nameplates and yet another different type of property.

HaveMilesWillTravel and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it's all about differentiation and "catching" a new type of guest who wants to be more involved with "authentic" experiences while staying in a great hotel, at Curio it's all about feeling the difference, but having the opportunity to partake in the Hilton Honors reward program and enjoy benefits which couldn't otherwise earned when staying at independent hotels. Seems like a win / win for the owner / manager / guest relationship here. Only time will tell how far hotel companies can go in the future to sway guests to sign up for their program and stay consistently with them, the competition is growing, from the Autograph Collection, the Ascent Collection, Luxury Collection and now Curio and to top all off, Hilton plans to extend themselves into the "tech savvy, modernity driven market" with yet another new brand very soon and this will go against W, Aloft, Edition, Moxy and others in the future. Interesting guest "fronts" are opening up right now, and we have to wait and see what's happening as time goes by and the markets mature. I bet, as long there is demand for different, unique and interesting experiences it's actually a great market to be in and as the world fragments towards individuality so will cater hotel companies to these "niche" markets in the future, one thing is for sure IMHO that's a good thing for the guest as new experiences which could enrich travel in the future and offer "fresh" properties at every turn gives way to more choices incl. moods, locations and price points, while earning points to be used for free stays within a hotel program / and / or getting benefits at the same time.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's a "new type of guest"? Do you mean someone with a cellphone, tablet, game board, or a business person, vacationer, or who? Have the traveling public changed so much, that every slight change in demographics changed the way hotels do business?

I still believe that all these slightly different but no real change except a fancified name or title doesn't really enhance the property's experience, rather then add to your exepcting more then you'll really wind up getting, all the while paying an "enhanced" price for doing so.

Now we're catering to people's moods too? :rolleyes: Send them a Mood Ring if it'll make them feel any better.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SLS property in Vegas looks a bit odd; anyone check out their room descriptions/pictures?

Curtains for doors and mirrors over beds.

uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And way up on the north end of The Strip.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my very first trip to Vegas, I stayed at the Sahara ...which is what the SLS is built on. I remember during that stay walking along the relatively empty Strip, seeing the construction begin on the Bellagio and the posters of this weird giant lake with huge fountains. I thought to myself, "how are they ever going to get this lake here in Vegas?"

In any event, curious how HHonors will work with these new properties.

uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SLS in Vegas opened last night but I see no way to book it on hilton.com

uggboy likes this.