Hilton Increases Diamond Benefits to Allow Upgrades to Standard Suites

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by chitownflyer, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Diamonds will now be able to be upgraded to standard suites on a space available basis at Hilton, Doubletree, and Conrad hotels. Diamonds will receive all three MyWay choices at these hotels which include a room upgrade up to standard sute on a space available basis, 1000 bonus points, and free continental breakfast. There are more details on the increased Diamond benefits at my blog entry: http://tinyurl.com/7b8r4ah.

deant, craz, rwoman and 11 others like this.
  2. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh the irony. After years of Hilton Diamond status, I let it drop down to Gold and switched over to Hyatt for Diamond status. At least I'll have the Diamond benefits through April.

deant, mtlfire, rwoman and 4 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW That's great news, love it, love to be a Hilton Diamond with my better half together!

4. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew there was a reason to keep pushing for Diamond status... now I just need to restock my HHonors points.

rwoman, NYCUA1K, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW is right! The grass at times looked greener on the other side, and it was often tempting to jump ship, but these new benefits emphatically justify my decision to stick with HHonors as my primary loyalty program. Just another reason why one should now love to stay at Hilton properties worldwide!

6. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now if Hilton would just bring back the Diamond Special Arrangement(aka Diamond Force), then this would even be better. I am curious as to what benefits will occur at Waldorf Astoria hotels. On the other board, HHonors Guard indicated they would give some additional benefits to Diamonds, but I am not sure what these will be as the new policy will be announced in full in February.

wheat27, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still want actual confirmation.

Chimpy, wheat27, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Impressive. Thanks for sharing.

wheat27, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Big plus to Hilton.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  10. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll second this. Like you I'll be dropping to gold as well. Didn't push for it last year as they was little tangible difference between gold and diamond for my uses. Looks like its diamond challenge time :cool:

uggboy likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    HHonors must have been counting on it; it is the best way to explain this. It is a business decision: to fatten the bottom line by getting folks to up their stays at Hilton properties in quest for Diamond status...

deant and uggboy like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that's the whole point of loyalty programs in general.

deant, uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. HHonors has simply made the incentive for "loyalty" that much more tempting...

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  14. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has there been any official confirmation of this by HH yet?

uggboy likes this.
  15. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    1. Here is a poster of the new benefits displayed at a Hilton branded hotel: http://tinyurl.com/7hmsbq5.
    2. This is the info posted by HHonors Guard describng the new policy: http://tinyurl.com/7vz33vn.

Please keep in mind the policy has not been officially released, and HHonors Guard indicates there may possibly be some suite upgrade benefits at Waldorfs which would be terrific.

uggboy likes this.
  16. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

uggboy likes this.
  17. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great. I'm a new Diamond member and looking forward to some great upgrades on my upcoming stays.

To the question on "Diamond Special Arrangements, or Diamond Force", I keep reading that it's no longer a benefit, but from what I understand of it, it's still working.

For example I want to stay in Times Square next New Years Eve. No rooms were showing available, however, when I signed in, it said "Diamond Reservation Guarantee" 1 room available. I could choose to either spend about $800 a night or a standard room award of 50,000 points. (or the lesser points per night if I stayed over 4 nights). I chose the points reservation.

Actually now that I went back in, as if I was going to book it again, I see no rooms available until I sign in. However, now the room rate is a whopping $8,999 a night and there's no option to use points. Is that the difference now? They save some rooms for Diamond members to use points but when they're gone, they're gone?

wheat27 and uggboy like this.
  18. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its nice to see this, but I have my doubts if the Hotels will go along.Id expect that many a standard suite will now somehow become a special suite = not having to give them away as UPs

I would say the only places it really matters is at a Resort or any Conrad and if they go along it probably will be to those suites that have no view (or at least not the desired view) in which case Id probably ask for a non-suite that has the view

its nice of HH to step up but to me its like a Carrier tooting its horn how their entry level Elite members can get Upgraded. I just feel it will end up being alot more PR and Spin then actually getting anything out of it, but its beter then nothing at all.

uggboy likes this.
  19. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure exactly how they are doing things, but I actually booked a room for 3 nights over new years eve just a few weeks ago at the Waldorf Astoria on points... The reservation system showed no rooms available for points unless I was logged in.

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe reports of the demise of the "Diamond Force" are greatly exaggerated because the Diamond Reservation Guarantee is still pretty much part of HHonors Terms and Conditions, and I too have had the experience of initially seeing a property as unavailable only for it show availability once I signed in.

And another place where "Diamond Force" seems to be popping up is in booking Standard Rewards in the new age of "Premium Rewards" & "Money+Points". Standard Rewards have shown up as "Diamond Only" at a couple of properties I checked lately, with all else being Premium Rewards and exorbitant...maybe that is what "Diamond Force" is transitioning to...

uggboy likes this.
  21. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Diamond Reservation Guarantee is still in effect. The Diamond Force came into play on award reservations when the hotel was sold out of Standard rooms, so no award rooms were available. They are 2 different things.

The Diamond Force meant calling the Diamond Desk to request award space to be opened up at a property with no Standard rooms.

Reports have been that Diamond Force has gone away now when standard rooms are sold out because members can still reserve award rooms in the Premium Room category for more points.

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is an addendum to my post above. Diamond Force is alive, I think, because certain Standard Rewards are showing as Diamond Only at some properties...
    With respect to the Definition of Diamond Force, you are right.

uggboy and JLSocks like this.
  23. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As usual there seems to confusion as to to what the Diamond Special request is.
    Technically it started out as the ability to guarantee Diamond a PAID ROOM if requested within 48 hours of checkin and was not restricted to a property sold out of standard rooms .. it was a sold out property period. ( the Diamond would be able to book a non-standard room without making the request correct? :)) About 6 or so years ago they started making it also applicable to award stays (relative to sold out standard rooms) but even then DSR was not a stated benefit at all in the HH T&C. The listing on the website wa quite a fairly recent phenomenon and I believe the more common knowledge greatly contributed to its demise.:)

Whats being reported above is really nothing new it been around for going on 8-10 years the only thing new is that HH seems to be quite clearly stating on-line that some inventory has been set aside for Diamonds. .
    Why do you think that quite often you will see a message saying " contact Diamond Desk"? when one is unable to book an award directly on line? :) and then If you call the DD they are able to book an award then and there without making a " special request"

uggboy likes this.
  24. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Princess Fiona, deant, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    deant, uggboy and Tenmoc like this.