Hilton Honors - Using family member's points

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Jsm1985, Feb 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I just found out my mom has a ton of HH points. She travels often for work but NEVER uses her points. I did some research and it looks like she could call Hilton and book a room for a family member, even if she is not at the actual stay...correct? She has diamond status from all of her stays. If a family member ends up using her points at some point, would they get all the benefits from her diamond status during their stays?

One more thing - yes, I realize HH points are going down the tube after March. If I book rooms, even the Maldives, could I cancel (within 14 days of the stay) and get all the points back? What if I needed to change the dates later (after the devaluation starts)?

I figure she should use as many as she can before the devaluation.

Flying Bat likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, and according to this in the Honors T&C:
    she can just request a reward certificate and designate you as the recipient. Since reward certificates are usually issued for specific hotel categories (no property named), you can just get her to designate you to receive a reward certificate that would cover the hotel category you are interested in. Once issued with you as the designee, the certificate will no longer be transferable, i.e., a reward is transferable but a reward certificate isn't.
    You can cancel a reward stay at any time before the check in day (I believe), but the associated points will be returned to the account from which they were drawn, meaning that these points will go back to your mom's account if you should cancel. But she may just do the same reward assignment, with you as the designee, in the future. The only way points from her account can be transferred to yours would be for you (or her) to pay a fee, which will be US$.0025 per point, or US$25.00 per 10,000 points, up to 200,000 points (US$500) after which all transfers will be free. There is no upper limit to the number of points that can be transferred in this manner.

MyTravels and Flying Bat like this.
  3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know about the status since I just booked my parents at the Waldorf Astoria in Rome. So, you're saying in the T&C, since I am Gold, my parents will get Gold benefits while at the hotel, even without myself there?

Flying Bat likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think that status is transferable under the HHonors T&C. I had once booked a room for my sister and we had stayed at the same hotel but she got no status perks, while mine was recognized. I was, however, able to collect points for both rooms (after I requested that they combine the folios since I was paying).

Flying Bat likes this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    By policy, no.

In practice... Hilton lets you specify the name of additional guests in the room. If the room is booked in her name with you as a listed additional guest, you will be able to check in without her being present. I've seen cases (e.g. booking a room for my mother using my points) where this worked, and she got the benefits of my status. But don't count on it working 100% of the time, and don't push your luck.

6. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you find yourself in a similar situation again, perhaps bear in mind that it's relatively easy and painless to grab Hh Gold.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure I quite get it. As per my signature, I am already a HH Diamond, and I do have automatic Gold through the HHonors Citi Reserve visa card (it is indeed easy to grab HH Gold)...unless you mean grab a quick HH Gold for my sister or a relative/companion. If the latter, it would do her no good because she hardly travels, and it is rare that I ever travel with anyone to places where I would be responsible for picking up their tab and mine...

8. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes
    " grab a quick HH Gold for my sister or a relative/companion."
    that is all I did mean by it.