Hilton/Holiday Inn/Choice/LaQuinta points to miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by dc3, Jan 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any opinions as to which hotel program offers the best conversion of their points to airline miles (besides Starwood)? Hilton? Holiday Inn/IHG rewards club? Choice hotels?:La Quinta? Marriott? Wyndham? Club Carlson? Accor?

daninstl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    None of them have a great conversion to airlines other than SPG. Marriott has its travel packages which can be a decent value with hotel nights and airline points but you need a ton of MR points to get started in that play.

daninstl and Ed Chandler like this.
  3. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. But if you HAD to pick one (eg. Hilton or IHG or LaQuinta) which would you pick?

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, but there are degrees of bad and it depends on what "best conversion" means.
    • If "best conversion" means versatility, Hilton has 40 transfer partners, but the best of them is LAN at 25000:6500 ... and those are LAN kilometers.
    • If "best conversion" means best rate, you can get a 10:9 from Hyatt if you transfer 50k at a time.
    Seriously, though, ... unless you can't MS with the SPG Amex, or the program you want isn't an SPG transfer partner (Spirit, for instance ;)), then just stick with SPG.

daninstl likes this.
  5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I *had* to pick one of those: Hilton -- because none of them are good for airline transfers, so their value for hotel stays *will* come into play. (IMHO) Hilton properties are everywhere and you can't open your browser without tripping over 5 ways to get Hilton gold status for free, ... which means free food.

6. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. My issue is I have some e-rewards points to convert and there is no airline associated with my account, so I need to find the least worst hotel chain to get their points and then convert to an airline. Looks like Hilton or perhaps IHG, whose points do not expire like Hilton (after one year).

7. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait a minute.. no airline for e-rewards.com ? You don't have to associate anything, you just have to redeem your reward with the airline you choose.. unless the one you want is not there.. but they have Flying Blue, Aeromexico, Alaska, AA, Avios, BA, Emirates, Ethiad, US, UA, etc etc etc.. Let me know if you need help redeeming those points!

8. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    --

My e-rewards account only has hotels are the travel redemption options.

adrianors likes this.
  9. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dang, that sucks.. If I were you, unless you have tons of "cash", I would redeem the points for hotel points, and keep them as that.. I really don't think converting is a good idea. 10k at Hilton and you may get a hotel stay worth 80 bucks (i.e. DoubleTree Atlanta Airport). I don't see the conversion to an airline make your points be worth more than that (for the same example).

10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah some e-reward accounts (depending on how you sign up are only associated with certain airlines and/or hotels. It's kinda weird but makes sense. of example if you sign up to get a Delta bonus they don't want you redeeming for United, etc. It's weird.

11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been awhile on this for me. But is seems like Carlson has a not so bad deal on converting (if you must) where you can convert points to BA Avios or Southwest at a better value than other airlines. I have seem them run bonus promos years ago on this also. I wouldn't move them to Laquinta unless you are going to convert right away as they expire too quickly there from my experience.

Also watch the minimum conversion rate. For example you might need 10,000 to convert or whatever. Another option might be to redeem to a hotel partner and then buy a gift card.

Starwood would be the best value per point to redeem for rooms I would think. Also IHG if you can take advantage of the 5,000 point pointbreak deals.