Hilton Hawaiian Village

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by kenbo, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been to this property before and recently booked an award stay with a resort view. I'm currently a Silver member and I'm aware of the options I have to get a bump up to Gold but I understand upgrades are hard to come by here. Here are a few questions:

1. Should I stick with Silver and go for NOR1, or would going for Gold provide additional benefits/value beyond "just" a (possible) room upgrade?​

2. What criteria, if any, is used to determine which tower guests are placed on an award stay? Can I request a certain tower at check in?​

3. Which towers does everyone prefer and why? Are some towers significantly better than others?​

Aside from those questions, I'd be interested to hear what experiences other members have had with respect to their status levels. Thanks!

2. Mul
    Original Member

Mul Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went HHV in Aug 2009 as a HHonors Gold w/ the award stay ALON6. We checked in late, and got assigned to Kalia Tower, did not get Rainbow Tower (asked, and flatly denied). The only benefit I got was breakfast @VIP Room breakfast in Rainbow Tower. Overall, it was a great stay. My kids were having a blast.

We asked for Hospitality Room, since we're leaving at 10pm, and have to check out @12 noon, and they don't have late checked out. Hospitality Room gave you about 20 mins / person to freshen up. We got assigned time at 6pm, enough for a full day of play and visits, and then freshen up + dinner before heading to airport. Hospitality room was free, you have to asked the concierge to book it.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure my if experience will help much (Diamond) had three stays award ( one three night and two two nights) at this property and at least two we were given a room in the Rainbow Tower. Although this tower might need a bit of sprucing up its by far the best IMHO in terms of view being much closer to the beach and the parking garage if you have car. The breakfast room is on the ground floor.
    One thing of note is I believe if you request a room with double beds you will be placed in another tower since the Rainbow has few or no double bedded rooms.
    Was granted late checkout until 400 pm, the one ocasion it was requested.

4. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    While this wasn't an award stay, we've been to the HHV twice...most recently about 6 months ago. Both visits were for a convention and in both cases we booked thru AmEx FHR program instead of the convention 'rate'. Cost was of course higher, but we booked a mid level room in the Ali Tower and were upgraded to an enormous wonderful ocean view suite....with a balcony that could easily accommodate a party for 100! The included breakfast and cocktails were underwhelming, but adequate. Actually I booked two rooms (for friends travelling with us)...and we both received similar wonderful suite upgrades.

This is an enormous hotel that is perhaps more suited and more fun for families than for couples looking for quiet luxury. The grounds are beautiful....and I loved to visit the penguins!

planeluvr and Chimpy like this.
  5. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the above. The place is huge, amounting to 6 hotels operating as one. It's at the very end of Waikiki so you are separated from the rest of the tourists during the day fighting for the narrow stretch of beach. I think that with the last tower it's now way overbuilt for the facilities it has but to each his own....I love the Alii tower. It's the smallest and one of the oldest but has it's own pool and a nice deck area overlooking the beach with its own entrance directly on to the beach. Other then walking through the village to go out for breakfast or dinner, you don't feel like you're in a complex.

6. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure when you are going, but they start renovations on the Rainbow Tower next month. I was booked for June on an AXON award for 4 nights and decided to move over to the Embassy Suites instead (awesome reviews). My husband is Gold but it didn't sound like we would get upgraded to the Rainbow since we need double beds. I have stayed in Rainbow before and loved the views! But based on everything we have read, we have decided the Embassy Suites would work out better for us. We didn't want to get stuck in another tower, and I doubt they would put us in Alii.

Not only that but I am pretty sure the construction will impact anyone in the Rainbow Tower. I called and asked what would happen if we were not happy after the first night and wanted to move over to the Embassy Suites (even on a reward stay). I was told we would be charged $100 on top of the award points if we moved the second day...

kenbo likes this.
  7. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the heads up. We actually moved our reservation from Embassy to HHV a few weeks ago....quite a predicament now. Is the Rainbow Tower the best tower? If I'm only Silver, I probably wouldn't get there anyway, right? I honestly don't know which towers are the best and/or how they choose to assign guests.

8. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:

kenbo likes this.
  9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend the Tapa tower as its amenities are much newer. You can still get ocean view or partial ocean view rooms here. The Rainbow tower is is need of a renovation. I would go for Gold as you get a room upgrade and free internet with this status level.

kenbo likes this.
  10. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I certainly would agree that the Rainbow Tower is in need of renovation... I had a 2 night stay there last month and couldn't believe the poor condition of my room in the Rainbow Tower. Mismatched paint, beat up doors, large chunks of enamel chipped off of the tub, years of stains on the carpet / ceiling / walls, etc.

11. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a fan of the Rainbow Tower because of the views. We were there in February, and my room was in good condition. But it is possible to get an ocean view from Tapa Tower, and the rooms there are generally newer and larger. If you are out enjoying Hawaii the tower you stay in will not matter so much. I would try to avoid Diamondhead Tower as it is really old. Although the property is huge, we still have always enjoyed our stays. The Embassy Suites may be nice, but they are NOT on the beach, and I much prefer to be on the beach.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The beach area by the HHV is one of the wider areas of Waikiki beach and my experience has been one of the least crowded. At high tide there is a stretch of the beach that nearly ceases to exist elsewhere on Waikiki but there is always a good amount of beach at the HHV.
    most of my family agrees as they seem to nearly always score a corner view room when I book awards for them.
    agreed !

I'm glad we haven't seen any "Waikiki/Honolulu isn't Hawaii!!" posts.:)

13. arizonawildcat

arizonawildcat Active Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from a week and a half stay in Waikiki and was at both the Embassy Suites and HHV for four nights each. Embassy Suites was surprisingly nice, but pretty crowded. You have a small pool there and about a 5 minute walk to the beach. Lots of food options to walk to out of the back of the hotel.

The Ali'i Tower is absolutely what you want when staying at the HHV. Private check-in, your own small pool, upgraded chairs, small private gym, etc. IMO, it's not even close on a comparison to other towers. In past stays, I have had rooms in Diamondhead, Rainbow, and Tapa. Sounds like the HGVC has two towers all to themselves in the back corner of the property (Lagoon and I don't remember the other one)

14. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed here a couple of times. When I was Gold/Diamond at the time, we were give Ocean view rooms in the Rainbow tower. I thought it was very convenient if you want to be close to the beach, you take an elevator down and you are basically right there.

I believe that "standard room" on an award stay is automatically in the Tapa tower, but I could be mistaken. That was the room I received as a Silver member, first time I stayed at that hotel. So there was no upgrade given, but maybe Raibow Tower island view is also "standard room".

Enjoy!

PedroNY

kenbo likes this.
  15. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! That's helpful to know. I just made Gold so I'm hoping for an upgrade over the Resort View.