Hilton Guangzhou Tianhe reviews

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by moa999, Dec 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK my first tr/review on Mip so be gentle. My trip reports have historically been on AFF and had been considering using FT for this post as nothing their either but the Great Firewall of China screws up the site loading - I suspect its the ads. facebook and twitter also blocked.

Hotel site: http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/CANGTHI-Hilton-Guangzhou-Tianhe/index.do
    In Mandarin: http://hilton.com.cn/guangzhoutianhe
    (recommended to copy the address in Mandarin)

Hotel opened in late 2011 so is very new...

Short visit into China as a recently minted HHonors Diamond (thanks to Virgin Australia). One night at Conrad Hong Kong then the MTR Through Train from Hung Hom to Guangzho East. Took the non-ktt train which is a pretty old china style train (inc squat toilets) and almost no english announcements. Immigration at gz east very quick with my apec card accepted immediately.

Leaving GZ East station a number of hotel desks. Hilton Tianhe unmanned but with some business cards and a sign saying walkable. Ignored the taxi touts, google mapped my way there. With luggage - get a cab - its not far but not close - apparently a shuttle to meet trains but who knows where from. Walk to hotel about 500m - for others head south to the tall building or westin sign, turn right at first major intersection, then just down road.

Hotel look - on a fairly random side street but stands out as a quality building. modern take on a pagoda style and a beautiful foyer.
    Checkin- Quick and proficient. As Plat upgraded to Exec floor but not description of benefits (eg hk letter) - just comment on breakfast and internet. Not shown to room (though frankly i don,t care).
    Room - wow... funky white,grey,red carpet. open bathroom with full bath, comfortable bed, tv with great connections inc hdmi cables. ipod dock radio. must be 14ft ceilings in main part - hotel is about 3mths old but awesome. also has 24hr gym and outdoor 25m pool.
    Amenities - ok... wow. in the room. selection of chocolates, and sweets, fruit platter, some savoury cheese and fruit, a massive strawberry maccaroon and a full bottle of charles de fere champagne (ok 10us on google) - i havent mentioned the rate yet
    Exec lounge - I mentioned i hadnt been advised of benefits so just wandered up to Lev 24 at 545pm. Exec drinks starts at 6 and again wow.... 6 or hot dishes, 10 or so cold, self serve spirits, choice of beers and a choice of a chilean red or white. Big room that seats 50+ inc two apple macs. Spent an hour and got good value. only two other guests whole time i was there
    Concierge - My only downside. Wandered down to ask for a map and recommendations on night cruise and bars. Was given a soso cheap map that didn't show directions. Was given mandarin for Tianzhi pier but guy couldnt find it on map (near haizhu bridge on the pearl river). Also was told white swan hotel for bar street .. nothing of note there - more across river.
    Hotel bar - Sunday night was dead with no live jazz as night off.
    In summary - an amazing hotel, close to gz east but in a quieter area of gz.
    The rate - my prepid rate was under us$100 so on a relative basis amazing.

In the morning breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good - with a good mix of western, japanese and chinese fare. After giving my room number and starting to get food had someone come up and say my rate didn't include breakfast. I responded that I was Diamond and to check with front desk. Sure enough no issues.

DAS02135 and uggboy like this.
  2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

msv and theskyflyer like this.
  4. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the excellent Exec lounge
    [​IMG]

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed review. Just one question - what is an HHonors Platinum?

moa999 likes this.
  6. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    good catch - should be Diamond!

gemac likes this.
  7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. It makes a difference to Gold readers, who might think that they would receive the same benefits you got. They might still, but it is less of a slam-dunk knowing that you are Diamond.