Hilton Grand Vacations - info needed?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by cliq, Jan 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cliq

cliq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know more or have deep knowledge about Hilton Grand Vacations? Got an offer to come over to Orlando, Florida. Really dont know much about these things and dont want to get burnt any further is there is something hidden somewhere...

Is Hilton Grand Vacations similar to timeshare vacation exachange provided by RCI? Anything to watch out for when we visit Florida?

Info needed... thanks :)

8MiHi likes this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My basic understanding is it is a timeshare program. I stayed at one at a diet cheap rate in Vegas and it was a depressing property, complete with popcorn ceilings that were much too low.

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a timeshare program that rents out rooms when they have excess capacity.

Not great for Hilton honors elites, but great for an extended stay.

4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    HGVC is a time share with some very good properties and a handful that aren't. It uses a point system. The points can be used on their properties or exchanged (for a fee) for RCI properties or HHonors points. If you go regularly to Hawaii (Honolulu and Big Island), Orlando or Las Vegas it can be useful and worthwhile especially if you travel with a few people. It has been good for us, but I generally recommend that people be very careful about any time-share purchase. There is a sizeable up-front commitment with ongoing maintenance fees and absolutely no guarantee that the upfront equity will ever find its way back to the buyer.
    That said, we have used ours for several spectacular family gatherings that would not have been possible otherwise as well as for family trips to Scotland and RCI stays on Kauai. We have used the HHonors points in London and Singapore.
    By all means take advantage of their offer, but unless you can objectively account for how you would use their program be prepared to fight off a fairly hard sell.

5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were tempted to buy, where you buy matters since you own a piece of a particular property. Location matter as owners of specific properties get a reservation advantage at those properties (that's why I cannot get into the Breckenridge property in-season) and costs vary. In general, the Las Vegas maintenance fees are the lowest and the Hawaii fees are the highest. Florida has higher costs due to insurance. The cheaper (off-season silver or gold) point buys have the same maintenance fees as more expensive in season buys (platinum) for the same size room and a big point difference.
    Again, timeshares are not for most people. They work if you travel to the same place (like Vegas or Orlando) regularly or really need the extra space and amenities that come with them.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check eBay for "real" prices vs what they'll try to sell you. I own at an HGVC affiliated property but never joined HGVC since we actually stay at the same property each year (Charter Club of Marco Beach) and don't intend to exchange, etc.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just be aware you will probably be given sales pitches of some sort while you are there. I wouldn't call it getting burnt unless it's impossible to get away from it and I'll leave the discussion about purchasing timeshares for other people.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, and they'll tell you about special "owner purchased" benefits you can only get buying through them, etc. Just be firm and consistent that you're not in the market to purchase... wait through their three "managers" with lower offers... and politely decline each. The more honest and up front you are the more likely they'll just do the basics, but they HAVE to do that to keep their jobs. Give them hope of a sale and you'll be there for HOURS longer.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a call form HGVC wanting to sell me 4 days/3 nights in Vegas. I have a show coming up in Vegas, and the property is quite near the convention center, so it got my attention. They offered 15,000 HHonors points + a $200 voucher for future Hilton stays.

The deal breaker was that they required a 2 hour commitment to hear their pitch, and the only hours they had available were during my business hours there. I was disappointed, as the location, price and perks were great, but it just wouldn't work.

They switched to Orlando, which is a frequent stop for me. I'm writing from Orlando now, but I'm at the Renaissance rather than the Hilton Resort I paid for during that call earlier this summer. They had change the dates and times I agreed to during the call, and scheduled my 2 hour pitch to a day that I won't be here. I called, and they said that I needed to call back after August 18th to see if a "tour" time was available during my actual visit.

I was in Colombia on the 18th, so I called on the 26th to see what could be done. They had nothing, and thy wanted to charge me $20 to change the date of the visit. It was their mistake, so I refused to pay for a change. I was told that it would result in my stay and payment being forfeited. After waiting 15 minutes on hold to speak to a supervisor, I hung up and called my CC company to dispute the charge.

The next morning I was reviewing my CC statement, and I saw that they had charged me another $20 earlier in August without even communicating with me. I have no idea what that was for, as I hadn't even tried to change it at that point, so I disputed that charge, too.

Now I'm so turned off by them that I don't want to ever stay there. I'm also turned off that Hilton's name is on it. I don't know if I will ever stay in a Hilton again. This is snake oil type selling, and my time has been totally wasted by it. They could have possibly made a deal with me (I don't know), as I stay in Orlando so frequently. Their tactics totally blew it. I'll win the dispute, as they got the dates wrong (I have their original confirmation), and I'll never rebook it.

8MiHi likes this.