Hilton Gold in Europe

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by jgg630, May 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travel to Europe a couple of times a year and have never had a problem like I am experiencing in Brussels at the moment. I don't want to sound entitled I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not expecting too much. Usually upon checkin if not upgraded to hilton honors floor I am given access to executive lounge. In Brussels I was told there is no executive lounge or Hilton honors floor. So front desk person says they will give me drink coupons since no lounge.

I am also used to getting free breakfast. Usually in the lounge but sometimes in the full restaurant. I was told here that breakfast is 30 Eur each.

Our room was not ready so we went shopping and sightseeing. Upon return to the hotel, I was given our keys then had to look in back room for our luggage. No tags were given. I mentioned that the previous clerk had said that he would give us drink tickets since there was no lounge. The new clerk have us 1 ticket each for a 3 night stay not 1 each night but a total of 2 and they expired the night of check in.

My question is doesn't Gold qualify you for some type of breakfast? I'm not expecting full breakfast but at least continental. Has anyone had the drink ticket thing happen?

We still have 2 more nights at this hotel. The staff has acted as if every person here is bothering them except the nice young man that helped us upon arrival.

Kalboz and Mapsmith like this.
  2. sembach

sembach Active Member

Status Points:
    I have the same concern. You do not seem entitled.

Kalboz and Mapsmith like this.
  3. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if this is a recent change, but just looked it up and it appears that Gold is NOT guaranteed breakfast or executive lounge access - those privileges are reserved for Diamond members. If you've been receiving those benefits at other properties, I guess that's something those properties have decided to do on their own that's above and beyond the HHonors programs.

newbluesea likes this.
  4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding was gold was not guaranteed executive lounge access, HOWEVER, they were given a space available upgrade, which on a good day sends you to the executive level.

However, breakfast is included for golds.
    Similar policy for HGI.

Unless you're at a WA, you should be given free breakfast.

Kalboz, 8MiHi and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends upon the "Or" in the T&C's. The OP said there was no Executive Lounge or Honors floor in that property, so it doesn't matter if they got to the better room with the upgrade. The HHonors T&C for Golds give you the option of choosing additional points for your stay "Or" a complimentary continental breakfast, which may vary in offerings depending on the property.

Hilton's let you choose 1,000 bonus points OR the breakfast, such as it may be, and at the HGI's it's 750 bonus points OR breakfast. We don't know if the OP has opted for the points over the breakfasts in his MyWay choices from HHonors, and without knowing, we can't definately respond that he should've been given breakfasts anyway.

I'm a HHonors Gold, and I've got my choices set for 1,000 bonus points for Hiltons and the breakfasts at HGI's, thus foregoing the 750 points at the latter properties. Luckily, I sometimes also get the breakfasts at Hiltons, in addition to my option of bonus points there, even without staying on the Honors floors, but I'm usually upgraded to a better room then originally booked so that may make a difference, even without the EL lounge availability (and not all Hiltons have an EL yet, as was promised by the middle of last year).

So I guess it's not automatic for Golds, unless you've been upgraded or paid for a room that comes with the EL or breakfast option, and even then it may depend on how an individual property follows or enforces the Honors T&C. And as we've learned often in recent years, each property's following those terms and conditions may vary greatly.

6. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do have it set for breakfast not the extra points.

To update, we went to front desk this morning and the 2 individuals working Hugo and the other gentleman advised me that we were entitled to breakfast and to give them my room number when we ate.

8MiHi and blackjack-21 like this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your persistance (hopefully with a smile and thank you) on getting the breakfasts. How were the breakfasts after all?

8MiHi likes this.
  8. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full buffet not just continental breakfast. Selection of juices and cereals. Very little fruit but waffle maker. Overall, very good.

9. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    my two cents: I've always received free breakfast at Hilton's as a Gold throughout Europe when I've stayed (UK, Germany, Finland, Italy).

Kalboz, WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've always received complimentary breakfasts, free internet plus an upgrade at Hilton's in Europe for being Gold. Despite the Gold benefit states that we would receive continental breakfast, we always received full breakfast for free in Europe. Very nice.

Kalboz, blackjack-21 and WilliamQ like this.
  11. NYCVSFlyer

NYCVSFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the Amsterdam Centraal Station Doubletree, I've always gotten free breakfast. My last visit earlier this month (the first one since they've put in the EL) I had the option of breakfast in the EL or the restaurant. I took the full breakfast in the restaurant, which was quite good. I'm staying at the Stockholm Slussen Hilton in August and am hoping that I have no problem getting the Gold breakfast benefit.

Kalboz and WilliamQ like this.