Master Thread Hilton Gaslamp | San Diego

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by marcwint55, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just returned from two nights in San Diego at the Hilton Gaslamp. The hotel was very conveniently located and the staff were very pleasant. We had two rooms and they gave us complimentary diamond upgrades to a loft double room and a large (750 sq. ft) loft jacuzzi suite. The rooms were excellent, but if you do not like noise, this would not be a good location especially on the weekend. The Hard Rock Hotel is across the street and it is very loud. Ear plugs are provided in the room, but they don't do much to curtail the noise. As a diamond member we were given two free breakfasts per room per night which could be used for the buffet or the ala carte menu. Overall I was not impressed with the food, except for the lox and bagels which were fantastic. The internet was free and the service was excellent. If you are looking for a decent mid range hotel in the gaslamp district that is very convenient to trolley service, this may be a good fit.

mo26, NYCUA1K, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  2. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the hotel about a year ago. All in all it was just an OK experience. We used NOR-1 to get into the loft jacuzzi suite which was large, but not very functional (the layout is just strange). Breakfast was below average. Confusion about billing took for ever to sort out (someone charged breakfast to our room by mistake and they never verified it with the person). I will probably be back, but for a standard room if the price will be right.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our stays at the Hilton Gas Lamp in San Diego was our last for the foreseeable future with Hilton. We even made this decision before the massive Hilton devaluation. We would not stay in this hotel again even if we were going to stay loyal to Hilton.

I booked during the Facebook 24 hour sale in January for this stay. Of course the price jumped $50 per night from the day before the sale. It was the Any Weekend/Anywhere promo for I was earning 2 stay credits for my two night stay. The motivation to pick this hotel over any of the others in the area was this was one of the only hotels participating in the Hilton Q1 Promo of double miles or points.

Check in was rather late at about 1130pm due to flying in after work. Although there were plenty of employees out front, there was no one who could help us with our bags and thanks to American one of our roller bags had to be carried because they broke the handle. Assistance would have been greatly appreciated. Ok. Minor strike. When we got inside to the check in counter we were checking in and informed of no upgrade. This I can live with as I always book the minimum room I really want. During our conversation with the check in agent we mentioned our bag had been broken but we were still unable to get any assistance. Minor strike two.

The room itself was a corner on a low floor very near the elevators. The corner was nice. The near the elevators and low floors are something I try to avoid. It was too late to do anything about. I decided sleep was what I needed. The bed was actually fairly comfortable and I slept rather well when I could.

As I had chosen the 1000 hilton points (thanks so much for halving their value, damn you Hilton) we did not get breakfast. We decided to eat at Richard Walker’s Pancake House. I’m glad we did as no Hilton breakfast would have been this good.

The room itself opened up in front of us and to the right. Of course there were several maintenance issues with the room. The main door was cut short so there was a full 1-2 inch gap under it out to the hall way. This permitted a ton of noise to come in. Our door and many others were not insulated to prevent slamming. Everyone that came and went at all hours woke us up. The good news is I was able to excellently hear the full fight in the room next to ours between some guy and the girl he was with who he asked repeatedly “why are you here with me when you like girls”.

The bathroom was basic blah hotel bathroom. Maintenance issues abounded. The shower rod was coming down and like so many hotels with these curved rods, was installed improperly in the first place. The lock set screw goes on top. It is how the curtain stays closed.

The other issue we had was housekeeping. We had to call the front desk at 430pm to have someone come by to at least change the towels for us. When she showed up she said to me “well we have so many rooms to clean every day”. Perfect example of the general service level at this hotel.

I’m not willing to say never again to Hilton although they’re on indefinite hold with me. But this hotel, you couldn’t pay me to return. Both hard and soft products were terrible and not at all worth my money when the Grand Hyatt was just $50 more per night.

Kalboz, mo26, NYCUA1K and 3 others like this.
  4. futboller

futboller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Bayview (about a couple of blocks away) is a much better hotel...

Kalboz and Tenmoc like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time I stayed at this property I was not even member of HHonors. I am returning there in the second half of May for a 7-night stay, as a HH Diamond, so it is nice to hear that they might be generous with upgrades. (I am not used to such largesse at Hilton properties in the US). I am attending a conference that will be held in the very huge San Diego Convention Center -- a convenient walking distance from the Gaslamp Quarter.

Tenmoc likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the entrance is immediately across the street from this hotel which should be quite convenient.

Tenmoc and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see you only when I use my DROID.
    A logical argument does not care about the medium in which it is delivered. We agree on this.

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

Tenmoc likes this.