Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Downtown

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed for two days at the Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Downtown. I chose this hotel as I have previously stayed a few times at the Hilton Salt Lake City which is in need of rennovations and has very expensive parking. The "tripadvisor" reports spoke very highly of the HGI, and with a rate of $99 per night my thinking was that if it was bad I would checkout after one night and find somewhere else.

The "tripadvisor" reports are actually correct- and this is a much nicer hotel than the Hilton Salt Lake City. The rooms are new looking, very well maintained, and have a good amount of space with comfortable beds and a good working desk with lighting that works for work. I arrived quite late (1 AM) as I had a delayed flight from Chicago and a wait for the rental car at SLC, however the staff were friendly and checked me in very quickly and efficiently (less than 60 seconds from entering the lobby to key in hand- nice work). Note parking here is free, which is a nice benefit as many hotels charge $10-$30 per day. Wireless and wired internet are also free, as is the business centre which is well equipped with 3 printers and some basic office supplies as well as a few workstations.

The room is HGI design, however the rooms are larger than what I have seen in many other cities, and the big screen TV is HD and has a good selection of channels.

Breakfast was a buffet option at $10.95 or a-la-carte: quality was good and service was fast and friendly- I thought it was good value overall (one morning I chose buffet, the other a-la-carte which came out to $8). It looked like a number of guests preferred to go to the Starbucks which shares the same parking lot as the hotel.

Location is right on the edge of Downtown- it is close to many other Salt Lake City hotels including the Sheraton, Little America, Best Western, and Red Lion. The HGI is about a 5 minute drive from the main Hilton. It took me <10 minutes to drive to/from the airport- the hotel also has a free shuttle to/from the airport which appears to operate on demand.

Overall, this is the nicest HGI I have stayed in by far, and it is definitely a step up from the main Hilton both in terms of rooms and service- the one big advantage the main Hilton has is proximity to the Salt Palace convention centre which is almost directly across the street from the Hilton and is a 5 minute drive from the HGI.

Final bonus is that with the current HHonors promotion on right now a 2 night stay which cost $228 with taxes netted ~11K HHonors points which is quite impressive indeed.

Will be returning to this hotel for sure- note it is an HGI, not a Four Seasons, but really the staff does a great job and the hotel is perfectly maintained- one last point is that the fitness centre/pool are very well equipped and surprisingly are open 24 hours.

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I like the idea of a 24 hour pool as well as the free airport shuttle at a downtown hotel.

uggboy likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also love the idea of free parking and free internet wireless and wired for ALL guests.

uggboy likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but free Internet is standard for some brands and I expect free parking except at downtown hotels.

uggboy likes this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    One comment, one question.

Because SLC is relatively near down town Salt Lake City, many of the hotels in the area offer free shuttle rides (usually on demand).

We've used the Hilton which is very near the relatively new light rail system, I haven't used this HGI. How far is it from a light rail stop?

DTWBOB

uggboy likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point- however this is a downtown hotel, and many nearby competitors like the Hyatt place are charging $10 or more per night for parking- so it is a very nice benefit.

uggboy likes this.