Hilton Garden Inn Rome - Avoid!

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by estnet, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a dreadful experience here followed up by customer non-service by hotel and customer relations (or so they call it - what it is is apologize and do nothing). The hotel is FAR from the airport and the shuttle does NOT follow the posted schedule on their website, nor does the driver pay any attention to guests (don't bother to try to "flag" shuttle down as instructed on hotel website - it just races by).

If you believe the hotel schedule you could end up waiting forever at the airport as the schedule posted on the front desk is quite different. Staff are the rudest I experienced in 6 different hotels in Rome (or ever - can't think of any other stay in many years where staff have been so useless), internet doesn't work consistently, etc. To be fair the room (small and poorly soundproofed) are clean.

Made the mistake of staying here to be close to airport for departure but would be much better off staying in town and just taking train (or other transport) directly for flight. Hotel food prices are very high and you are a captive if you need to eat while there (nothing close by).

uggboy, viguera and CrankyScott like this.
  2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the warning... I'm going to Rome next Spring, I won't stay there. Me and my family will look for another hotel!

uggboy likes this.
  3. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks will make a mental note!

uggboy likes this.
  4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are in Rome and an RA as per your sig, then you must try the IC....

uggboy likes this.
  5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed at this hotel 3 weeks ago and had absolutely the opposite experience. Hotel shuttle was right on time at the airport, did not have to flag it down, stopped exactly where is was suppose to. Ride to the hotel about 15 minutes, and yes it is in the middle of no where. Check-in was fast, and friendly. Room was very nice, free internet, nice bed, good TV very clean room. Bath also was very clean and nice. Ate lunch at the hotel and yes, the price was expensive, but then most hotel restaurants are expensive. Check-out was also fast and friendly and the shuttle bus departed on time back to the airport. Regarding customer relations, I posted a review on Trip Advisor, and received a nice personal note from the sales department for the review. I would stay at this hotel again without any hesitation.

uggboy, viguera and MissBurrill like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you had a good experience but I think the quality of a hotel (and chain) depends in part on how they handle problems when they occur.
    I must say that my experience was not a "one off" - spoke with a family traveling with a small child and they had similar issues and complaints. I have never had a hotel respond "sorry you had this problem we usually get compliments":( and make clear in their response(s) that they were unconcerned with any form of improvement.

uggboy likes this.
  7. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for warning
    meanwhile i splurged the extra 10k points to stay at hilton hotel at the airport
    very convenient
    one night only
    they got me the extra bed i needed (by giving me the handicapped room) but whatever, it worked for what i needed
    the shuttle bus into center rome was convenient and free (great after being completely ripped off by cabs on the day of arrival.
    but the driver took FOREVER when we jumped on the 2 pm shuttle, he departs late and then drives himself home where the second shift driver gets on and takes over...so the ride into rome took way to long
    other than that i cant say much about hilton FCO since i didnt spend more than 8 hrs alll in bed there
    oh, no internet for golds...booo

uggboy likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - 'cause I tried to find this shuttle at the location described by the hotel AND by the Hilton Calvalieri - but it never arrived (I waited from 7:15 pm figuring I had missed the 7 pm- until 9:15 - when I gave up. Watched EVERY bus/shuttle from 8:30 on and never saw the Hilton one - do u remember where it stopped in Rome.

uggboy likes this.
  9. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    somewhere close to circus maximus and close to the river across the river from trevestere
    is is a huge big grey coach bus, you cant miss it

uggboy likes this.