Hilton Garden Inn New York City West 35th St.

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by mowogo, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My review from my blog of a stay a few weeks ago.

Welcoming Experience
    Check-in was fast, and I was given the standard welcome amenity of two bottles of water. The main difference was that these bottles were in a Hilton Garden Inn bag. Overall, I found the lobby quite small and cluttered, with no room to maneuver if there were a bunch of people needing service from either the front desk or concierge.
    The Room
    I knew not to expect much from the room because this is a prime location in New York. The room was small, but there was enough room to move around and the bed and amenities were standard HGI stuff, but that is all one really needs for a room. The room was neat and clean and the noise was not overpowering, though I could still hear some of the noise from the street (from the 24th floor). The internet did get bogged down some, but that is to be expected with the number of guests. Overall, the room met my expectations.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And one of the important parts of a hotel in Manhattan, the view:
    [​IMG]
    Hotel Features
    This is where I had one minor issue with the hotel. While the elevators had a decent speed, they were incredibly small, and the doors in the lobby lead you to believe the elevators are going to be much larger than they actually are. Also, they had signs posted all over the lobby signaling that the bar was closed while they awaited renewal of their liquor license. For me this was not a problem, as I tend to avoid hotel bars because of their inflated prices, but I know many travelers consider this an unforgivable sin.
    The Area
    The hotel has a perfect location, located right across Harold Square from the Macy's and next to one of the entrances to the 34th street Harold Square subway station. And Just on the other side of Macy's is the Penn Station subway station. It is within a reasonable walk to Times Square, but you don't have to worry about all of the bright lights.
    Summary
    Not the best HGI I've ever stayed in, but a great value, and great way to avoid using points in NYC.

jbcarioca, travelingmore and mikeef like this.
  2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! I have never stayed at this hotel but have heard good things.

You have been liked! :)

Mike

3. I look forward to trying this one out, I like the location a lot

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the location, and this is one of the best value properties in Manhattan (I paid $98.10 plus tax, and a copy of that confirmation is in my full blog post on the property)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here twice, but never took photos. It is one of my favorites because of the location and decent benefits coupled with moderate price. IN NYC I value location above all else and you cannot beat Penn Station for convenience. But for that I would prefer the Waldorf, where I also get good rates.

6. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    Not sub $100...

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nor sub $100 at HGI either. I did have the Waldorf for $79 once, but how is another story.