Hilton Frankfurt Trip Reports And Reviews

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by servus, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Frankfurt (HHonors Category 6), Hochstrasse 4, 60313 Frankfurt am Main, Tel: +49-69-133-8000, Fax: +49-69-133-820, email: info.frankfurt@hilton.com

The hotel is located right in the city center. Walking distance to Zeil [major shopping street] or Alte Oper [opera house] is just 5 minutes, to Römer [city hall] approx. 10 min. If you are arriving at FRA you can either take a cab, which will take at least 20 min., or use subway S8 departing from Terminal 1 to Frankfurt Hauptwache. From there it’s just a 5 min. walk, or you can connect to U1, U2, U3 or U8 to Escheinheimer Tor [just 1 stop]. The station is just around the corner from the Hilton. If you are arriving by car, valet parking is available. Valet / self [covered] parking is 27.00 € per day. If you’re arriving after 07:00 p.m., you’ll find a few free parking spaces right next to or opposite the hotel, without worrying to get a ticket. There are always taxis waiting in front of the hotel.

Check-in was fast and very polite. All my room-preferences set in my profile were honored. Received an upgrade to an Executive Room on 10th floor with lounge access. Baggage assistance wasn’t offered.

In my room I found a welcome note from Rooms Division Manager and one complimentary bottle of Apollinaris silent water. The room was very clean, bright and had the modern Hilton deco with a special touch [a little bit different, but way nicer like all the other Hiltons] and a fantastic view of Frankfurts skyline. The room had A/C, WiFi, flat screen TV with at least 10-12 English-speaking channels, bathrobes, slippers, in-room coffee-maker, iron, ironing-board, extra pillow and a room safe in the closet as well as the Hilton clock. The automatic minibar was stocked with: orange juice, Evian non-sparkling water, Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Tonic Water, Apollinaris Mineral water 4.50 €, Red Bull 6.00 €, Becks Beer, Heineken 5.00 €, Campari, Jägermeister 6.50 €, Gin, Martini, Rum, Vodka 7.00 €, Cognac, Whisky 8.00 €, white wine [0.2 l], red wine [0.2 l] 9.00 €. The bathroom was big, also very clean and well lighted, with a nice tub, a separate walk-in shower and the usual La Source amenities.

After dropping our bags at our room, we went downstairs to use their pool. All I can say is 10/10! Perfect!

The Executive Lounge [non-smoking] is located on 11th and 12th floor. We were greeted friendly by the staff. Opening hours: 06:30 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. Newspapers [German and English] and magazines were available. The bar was stocked with: white wine, red wine, Prosecco, beer, orange juice, tomato juice, Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta, Tonic Water as well as vodka, whisky, Martini and a few other spirits. They offered also some passion fruit cake, several different Danishes, tomato-mozzarella-sticks, wraps, assorted cheese with grapes and bread.

Afterwards we had dinner at the Pacific Colors Restaurant [opening hours: Breakfast from 06:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. [11:00 a.m. Sa. + Su.], lunch: from noon – 02:30 p.m., dinner: 06:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.]. There’s also an outdoor patio. Service was very friendly and attentive.

The menu was good. Starters: Roasted scallops with Thai salad [19.50 €], rocket salad with roasted artichokes, pecorino cheese and chiabatta croutons [11.50 €], roulade of smoked salmon in crepe on baby leaf salad with honey mustard marinade [17.50 €]. Entrees: Steak, steak of ostrich, Yellow Fin tuna steak, 5 black tiger prawns on lemongrass, Salmon filet with your choice of French fries, potato wedges, roasted potatoes, au gratin potatoes or basmati rice, accompanied by sauce bernaise, pepper sauce or herb butter [23.50 € - 35.50 €]. Extra side dishes: mediterranean vegetables 4.50 €, spinach leaves 4.50 € seasonal vegetables 4.50 €. A huge selection on their top-notch salad bar is included! Continuing to their seafood section... Grilled swordfish on black bacon lentis, roasted wild mushrooms and white truffle foam [28.50 €], fired filet of sea bass on cucumber tomato tatar and herb oil [25.50 €], spit of monkfish on jerusalem artichokes and green asparagus with saffron gnocchi and braised tomatoes [31.00 €]. Wine selection was good and included German and international wines [average price per bottle between 36.00 € - 48.00 €]. Quality of the food, except the pepper sauce, was extraordinary!

Next morning we had breakfast at the Ex. Lounge. Selection was OK and enough. French Rolls, toast, bread, muffins, Danish, cereals, milk, low fat milk, yoghurt, cheese, spread cheese, meat, ham, salami, butter, margarine, honey, marmalade, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice, coffee, Espresso, latte macchiato and eight sorts of tea.

Check-out was fast, friendly and accurate.

Final notes: The Frankfurt Hilton is right in the middle of everything, has extremely friendly and attentive staff and there’s absolutely nothing negative to say about this property. Onliest downside is that room rates, food and beverages are much higher than average. I stay here frequently and highly recommend this hotel.

TRAVELSIG, IMH, AHN and 1 other person like this.
  2. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent trip report!

Just to expand a few points, from my stay a year ago: the 11th and 12th floors are the executive floors, with the main executive lounge on the 11th floor, around the elevators (as soon as you step out of the elevator, you are in the lounge; some lounge tables are right up at the elevator doors). The same area on the 12th floor is used as an overflow lounge, when the 11th one is full.

There is a private health club in the same building, part of a city-wide chain. Hotel guests (at least Diamond, not sure about others) get free access. It has a 25-meter indoor pool (and standard German nude co-ed sauna facilities).

It's an easy walk to the subway, train, or main shopping/food streets. The train is a convenient way to get to/from the airport.

When I was there, Diamond guests could choose breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant.

servus likes this.
  3. AHN
    Original Member

AHN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for a very good trip report! I also enjoyed my stay there, and found the staff to be outstanding, especially the very young man in the executive lounge. The location is great, close to everything as servus said. This is a great hotel, and definitely my first choice in Frankfurt.

servus likes this.
  4. gvdIAD
    Original Member

gvdIAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that this is an excellent, well-located hotel with large rooms and a very good location, but I find the Executive lounge somewhat disappointing. Pluses include the availability of good wi-fi, a couple of computers for guest use, and the fact that there is often a staff member in the lounge to handle check-ins and check-outs. Also, there is a stairway connecting the 2 levels of the lounge, so you don't have to wait on the elevators if the only available seating is on the 12th floor. The food offerings for breakfast are fairly standard (no more and no less than you'd expect), but I was disappointed with the limited appetizer choices in the evening. What bothers me most, though, is that the lounge is essentially the elevator lobby/hallway. There aren't that many tables or seats, especially given the size of the hotel, and the layout doesn't make it easy for socializing. (The large gatherings that have been known to happen at the Conrad during SIN Do certainly couldn't happen here.) The lounge is open to the atrium, so it can be noisy. Moreover, the area seems to get fairly dark in the evening. In sum, I guess I just expected more from a property in the heart of one of Europe's financial capitals.

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long does it take to go to FRA taking the S8?

6. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can jump on the S-Bahn right away, you'll be at the Hilton within 25 minutes. If you just missed the S-Bahn, up to an hour.