Hilton Dublin Kilmainham, the Double Tree on Burlington Road or The Hilton Charlmont Place?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by LAM, Jan 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any advice as to which Hilton I should stay at on a possible future trip to Dublin? I will be staying 2-3 nights and will be doing the regular tourist things. Public transportation is a concern as is getting back to the airport by public transportation. I will probably be gold at the time of the trip and will be staying on points. I am trying to keep the costs of the trip down as much as possible. My other two nights will most likely be at the Radisson Blu. The Morrison and Conrad are too many points per night

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of the choices mentioned in your headline, I would go with the Hilton Charlemont Place, IMHO, it's the best located Hilton, within walking distance to many sightseeing spots in Dublin, plus it offers direct access to the LUAS tram system. We stayed there a while back, it doesn't offer any suites, but the Deluxe rooms with a view over the Grand Canal are nice and feel modern, you might receive as GOLD an upgrade into this room type, breakfast is nice, but it can get fairly busy in the mornings there.

The Morrison, A Double Tree, is the "freshest" hotel, gorgeous location by the Liffey and within walking distance from nearly everything anyone would want to visit in Dublin. Wouldn't recommend the Conrad Dublin, despite good location in the heart of the city, doesn't feel / look like a "real" Conrad should look / feel like.

The Double Tree Burlington Road is a large hotel, I believe it also offers a Club Lounge which the other Hiltons don't, but it's slightly removed from the center of the city, but still is connected via bus, or when you've a car, it's no problem at all. At least for us the Hilton Dublin Kilmainham is equally too far removed from the center of the city, but offers good access to the Kilmainham Goal and the Irish Museum of Modern Art, also it sells "suites" which are only slightly bigger than their rooms, we didn't like their food / drink offerings in terms of what's on offer and how it's presented / quality, plus this hotel can get very busy incl. tour groups.

I presume, with Radisson BLU you mean the Radisson BLU Royal Hotel Dublin? That's a wonderful choice, stylish, we enjoyed our stay there, a gorgeous location by the St. Patrick's Cathedral on one side and literally the whole city on the other, don't miss the wonderful breakfast there, plus we had a memorable dinner at the V'nV restaurant at this hotel too. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    iolaire likes this.
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you uggboy for taking the time to write such a thorough response. The trip has been set for May and I will be meeting my roommate from college in Dublin. This is the first time we will really travel together since she had children over 14 years ago. I took advantage of the Delta sale last night and bought my ticket. I think the Hilton on the canal will suit us as it has access to public transit and it is in walking distance of many attractions etc.

Quick question about the Radisson Blu Royal. Do they give Golds breakfast or should I just book the higher level room and receive breakfast with the room? I have enough points to do either as I have the CC and get the second night free. I might even splurge and stay there 3 nights and 2 nights at the Hilton.

uggboy likes this.
  4. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    This really has me thinking about the Hilton as well. I don't want to splurge on the Morrison as I don't really spend a lot of time in my room and am quite mobile. I tend to walk miles and miles every day while traveling. How easy is it to get to and from the airport? Is there any public transport or airport bus that serves near the location? Looks like the Luas goes pretty much the opposite way.

uggboy likes this.
  5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished my stay at the Hilton Dublin on Charlmont Place. The location is great being near the Luas station and they allowed us to check in at 9 AM (but I did have to give up an upgrade). The basic rooms are small but adequate as we were not in the room that much. Received water, nuts and two free drinks in the bar as a Gold along with the breakfast buffet. The buffet was fine but the selection was slightly smaller than the one at the Radisson Blu Royal but the hot food was better. I will say the rooms are probably in need of remodeling but the room was clean and comfortable. The Wifi was adequate but you kept having to sign back in which was a pain. At the Radisson I signed in once the entire stay and it never dropped.

I would investigate where you want to eat dinner around the hotel. We did not want to have dinner in a pub as we had done that the night before. I was able to find a place online called the Aussie BBQ which was pretty good if you want grilled meat (they had kangaroo and crocodile but we did not try either). The second night I got take away on my way back to the hotel and crashed in the room.

The cab to the airport was about 24 euros but the hotel is in walking distance to one of the buses that goes to the airport for around 6-7 euros.

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal this month with two award rooms under two gold members and they gave the four of us breakfast. They also did not charge the £20 for two nights parking but that may have been because the forgot our early takeaway breakfast on the last night.

Also we received 920 points per room, I assume this represented the breakfast charge we did not pay?

I don't think we received upgraded rooms but the hotel was fully booked and the rooms were good. They must have assumed we were together by the last names since we were in adjacent rooms with our gold amenities in the room on arrival.

The gold amenity was two chocolate muffins, grapes and strawberrys.

You cannot beat the location of the Radisson Blu Royal.

uggboy likes this.
  7. KateBennet

KateBennet Member

Status Points:
    Hilton is Hilton no matter which one.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends, while the "main" Hilton branded properties in Dublin do indeed have a certain "same same" about them, I would recommend the more modern updated, almost boutique Morrison, A DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton, Dublin, which overlooks the River Liffey in the heart of Dublin. It was only recently newly renovated to a very different standard and design than what a "usual" Hilton would offer.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  9. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I chose the Burlington Road hotels. It was really cheap and right on the airport bus route. I really don't spend a lot of time in my room, and this one looks perfectly adequate. Plus.. cookie.

I'll report back next month.

uggboy likes this.