Hilton Digital Checkin, Room Selection & Room Keys?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by edekba, Jul 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It won't be a bigger security hole than losing a cardkey, if access to the smartphone is restricted with, e.g., a password...(always a good idea to restrict access to one's smartphone!)

3. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    So now computer hackers will really have something fun to hack.

4. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the hotel company that just barely got a workable website in 2013 and still doesn't have a workable Android app?

5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The android app did used to have many issues and it frequently hung and crashed. However, there was a few updates and it has since worked fine for me.

Hilton also launched a Windows Phone Hilton app not too long ago. It works too! :)

The Hilton website worked great for me as well.

All said, technology is never a smooth sailing everytime but as long as it is continuously improved and worked at, it will get there some time.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is consistent with my experience. After they relaunched their current website, I have yet to encounter any issues, all of which points to a company that knew that there was a problem and devoted the resources necessary to fix it. Before we get all negative about the proposed technology, it might be worth putting things in context and realizing that our world is destined to become all digital. Might as well get used to it...

WilliamQ likes this.
  7. FormalHall

FormalHall Active Member

Status Points:
    Quite, a smartphone will be much more secure than a keycard in a piece of cardboard which has your room number on it!

However there are still huge issues, especially for elite upgrades. Also suspect a computer will not be able to take into account late checkouts as well as a clerk who knows the stay patterns in a hotel.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure why elite upgrades should be a huge issue if they are based on availability. Things like late checkout would be easy to implement because they could just be a button press away. Importantly, the device will not completely replace the possibility of interacting with humans. In fact, I am sure that the traditional manual check-in would remain an option...

9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So after using your smartphone all day at meetings, calling friends, family, and a taxi, you get back to your hotel room door only to discover that the phone's battery has gone dead and your charger is locked away inside the room. No problem, as it's only a 53 floor trip down by elevator to the FD to get one of those old fashioned plastic room keys (after showing proper ID of course, and waiting at the back of a very long checkin line to get to the FD staff), then back up again to dig out your charger for it's hour long recharge.

Very convenient.