Hilton Diamond Status for Centurion Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Steven Schwartz, Aug 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received a painless upgrade to Hilton Diamond. According to the AMEX Centurion website, Hilton has a challenge that expires Dec 31 this year. Stay twice and get Diamond.

Anyone know if this is appropriate for me in order to EXTEND the status? We have a stay in June at the Conrad Algarve (soon to open) and might it be worth it to get a somewhat better upgrade if I can find two cheap nights locally? It's nice to have status even tho this is one I hardly ever use. But if I can do this for under $200, might be a good idea - tho open to dissenting views!

Many thanks.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It not clear in your post if you receive Diamond status (by virtue) or as long as you have the Centurian card or even if you currently have Diamond status. If you do so currently your expiration date will be that as shown on your HH card.

However once you complete the challenge ( by doing the "cheap: stays as you propose) you will be HH Diamond until the end of March 2014 (note that it will not be added on to extend you current status period) .

marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am presently a diamond and when I contacted AMEX I was told that this would extend my status another year.

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would also be my understanding of how this would work, since the rest of the year during which status is achieved is always a freebie. This means that you'd have status extended to March of 2014, with status from now to March of 2013 being essentially "free", and the year after that (to March 2014) being the one-year status extension...

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - just what I was hoping to hear. Okay guys - now the question is has that status "paid off" for anyone? Any special upgrades that you feel you would not have gotten but for Diamond Status?

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm far from having enough spend for a Centurion card, but...

I did a fast track back to Diamond this year when they added the possibility of suite upgrades. Previously I never saw much difference between gold and diamond, hence why I stopped chasing diamond. I don't consistently get suites, but considering before any upgrade was an 'executive floor' room which looked like all the other rooms, I think I'm doing pretty good.

At IAD I received the presidential suite, but otherwise its largely junior suites. So far I'm happy but it really depends on the hotel and the availability of suites.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just had two rooms at the Hilton Gaslamp in San Diego. I called the hotel manager in advance and both rooms were upgraded to the lofts. My room was upgraded to the loft jacuzzi suite which was a very nice room, approximately 750 sq. feet. It is the best room the hotel has.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If one is planning to stay at a Hilton property, their experience would be greatly enhanced if they have Diamond status, claims that there are no differences between Diamonds and Golds notwithstanding...

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must say I find the "no difference between Diamond and Gold" refrain pretty incredulous.
    As a Diamond I have been upgraded 95% of the time ( I usually book the cheapest, mostly AAA rates) I have never not gotten Executive lounge access. HH has made some subtle changes to the program to deferentaite the two tiers
    such as additional award inventory for Diamonds and quite rightly so:) .
    If you read around you will see some reports of Golds not being provided lounge access unless they are staying on an Executive Floor ( a benefit guaranteed for Diamonds) .

It should be noted however that the better treatment for Diamonds is much more noticable at European and Asian properties and it should be noted that upgrades to suites despite the apparent expectations around these parts is not a stated benefit of the HH program (although I have had a number of such) one has to move over to SPG or Hyatt for that guarantee.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everything in the post except for the bolded part. Upgrade to a suite was recently made a stated benefit for Diamonds and inserted into the T&C:
    ..."or suites' is now part of the T&C, i.e., it is a written benefit.

newbluesea likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok I had forgotten about that recent change ... even more separation between Gold and Diamond.:)