Hilton Devaluation and booking more than 1 year out

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by oneeyejack, Mar 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, have a lot of people booked hotels more than 1 year out? Just a little worried since I booked a reservation as far out as possible into March of 2015.

Kalboz, NYCUA1K, brucewil and 2 others like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, the HHonors FAQs on the new categories have the answer on precisely that question:
    The short of it is that as long as one books before the new categories become effective and does not change anything after that, the rate at booking will be grandfathered...

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked 2 nights @ Conrad Singapore in November. I only was on a road to collect 145k but only had 80k. But might as well dump them now

oneeyejack, uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could the rush to "dump" the HH points potentially lead to poor, possibly costly, planning of one's redemptions? After all, not all properties changed categories. In fact, some got "cheaper"...

oneeyejack, uggboy and edekba like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly ... but I think I did out okay. My original plan was to use them @ Conrad HK/Tokyo/Seoul on our next trip, but seeing as I have 2 nights in Singapore this year ... why not use them.

If everything goes according to plan ... I'll be staying 12 nights at different hotels in 3 cities while paying $0.00 out of pocket for the hotel nights... and I think knowing that, my fiancee/wife will have the best honeymoon ever... and yes I'm cheap like that =)

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used an Axon for four nights at Hilton Creek Dubai. And another 119,000 points for a VIP four night award at the Shanghai Hilton. Now I am down to some 900 points, and my vacation trips this year for the most part are all booked. I might add some 5000 HHonors points (via MR) to my wife's account in order to liquidate hers, too. Next year I'll work on my IHG and Club Carlson balances.

Kalboz, oneeyejack and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a 4night AXON award from my wife's account and. 4 night VIP award from my account (no Amex Hilton card) burning 315K points for Sept 2014 in Moorea and Bora Bora. No problem. Getting there on miles will be the next challenge.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    How did you like this property, where I have stayed multiple times, sometimes 3 times/yr? I will be there for a 3-day reward stay in late June/early July on my way to KIX, burning two 1-night award certificates I got through the Citi Reserve card and 35K HH points for the 3rd night. I like this city so much that I am about to book a 6-day stay at the W=A PVG on the Bund, but I am still debating whether to do points-only or money+points to stretch my points and earn some points, even on a reward stay (see below).
    One way to fight the purported devaluation other than "burning" points is to earn points at a faster pace than before, which having the AMEX Surpass (12HH/$ but with forex fee overseas) or the AMEX Citi Reserve visa (10HH/$, w/ no forex fee) allows one to do. For my 2013 year-end Asian escapade(tm), I am planning on spending 6 nights at W=A in Shanghai, and I just checked the rates around Xmas time:
    WA-PVG.png

Rather affordable, even using points-only, but I am seriously considering the points+money reward option because, the entire trip (3-4 weeks) being practically for free since I will redeem for the flight and for all the hotel stays, I can afford to spend some hard cash, say $1000, to try to get some points back while stretching what I already have (estimated to be a 600K-700K haul this year) by redeeming for money+points and then paying the folio with the AMEX Surpass or the Citi Reserve. The Citi Reserve, which I use overseas, will earn me back on a reward stay the equivalent of what I would earn in base points (i.e., x10) for an equivalent spend if this were a paid stay, except that it will cost me $366/$99 = 3.7 times less in real money to do money+points. In fact, just thinking out loud for this post has convinced me to do money+points...:).

In short, to shell out just 150K HH points + ~$600+taxes for what will result in an upgrade to a premium room (for sure; suite at W=A, unlikely), while getting 6K+ points back on a reward stay seems to me like a winner.

Kalboz, oneeyejack and uggboy like this.
  9. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    That FAQ doesn't really answer the question of booking something more than a year out. It just states that any changes made after the 3/28 date will follow the new chart.

I booked it but in the off chance that HH doesn't want to honor it, I'm sure they could always do something negative and say that it was a glitch in the system and that you weren't supposed to be able to book something more than a year out. :(

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure that if you can book the stay now at all, the rate will remain in effect until you check in, unless you tinker with it before then. You might wish to make a copy of the FAQs as your insurance policy, before they disappear...;)

oneeyejack likes this.
  11. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    already did! :D

Kalboz and NYCUA1K like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

oneeyejack likes this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Miles Professor blogged about How to Guarantee AXON Rates at Category 7 Hotels for the Next Year

I have a balance of around 173K points that I don't know what to do with!!! :confused:

Just burned 90K HH points for 3 nights at the Hilton McLean Tysons Corner during the FTU. With the devaluation, the points are worth around ~ $360. The regular rate rate for this hotel is around $100+/night, but during this period of the FTU, rooms are going for around $299-349/night, if there is any availability.

Whaddaya think, good deals/redemptions?

14. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Conrad Maldvies, Koh Samui, Dubai, NYC for a future trip?

If you need a cheaper room for FTU there is always the Westin or Sheraton that's cheaper.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you use the AXON award for a stay in 2015? I made a booking for Koh Samui but I only booked for 3 nights. If AXON will be honored, I would prefer to do that? Anyone know the answer?

Kalboz likes this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a general rule, reward stays for which certificates have to be issued cannot be booked for stays more than a year out because the max validity of certs is, well, one year...

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

Kalboz likes this.
  17. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just burned 145K HH points & booked Conrad Koh Samui for 4 nights in January 2014. As for the DC area hotels, we need to be at the Hilton where the FTU is held, and hence spending 90K points there.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't know yet, stay is later in the year.

I did like the Hilton Dubai Creek (my Axon stay).

20. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked more than a year out. I'm not worried. Some of those have since become less than a year out and they all still show online.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just cancelled the Conrad Koh Samui, and here is why!!!

MyTravels and NYCUA1K like this.
  22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    isnt that everywhere on KS ?

at least that's my opinion.

kinda why I'm not that interested in Male ... =/

Kalboz likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Anantara Koh Samui several years ago (before I paid much attention to hotel programs) and we loved it. There were affordable dining options outside the hotel in walking distance, though quite frankly the hotel restaurants weren't outrageous if memory serves right.

edekba likes this.
  24. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood, but I guess my point is that imo ... most resort places are isolated. That's the appeal of resorts isnt it? Get away from things. Thus a resort (when you stay at one) is pretty much your only easy option. Thus personally ... I am not in a place in my life where resorts appeal to me. Maybe in a few years (when I gots kids or something ...), but right now I want to see/do everything

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind the isolation (and peace and tranquility) for a week as long as I don't feel that I am forced to pay through the nose for food. I also like to vary things, so sometimes it's a resort trip, sometimes a big city trip, sometimes a road trip through National Parks where I stay at small roadside motels or lodges. I am definitely not one just purely focussed on luxury resorts.

edekba and NYCUA1K like this.