Hilton Cebu Resort and Spa

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by gleff, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Hilton’s car met us outside baggage claim and drove us the short 10 minutes or so to the hotel. We checked in in the club lounge and I realized I left my camera on the plane.

The Executive Lounge assistant manager started calling around Philippine Airlines and managed to track down the camera. Then he took a copy of my passport and letter of authorization for the hotel to claim it on my behalf. And it was delivered to my room. The staff at the hotel, and in the lounge in particular, were as friendly and as helpful as any that I’ve met – anywhere.

The hotel itself, on the other hand…

It’s an aging physical plant, and it’s all pink. It’s their motif, and they’ve painted even the cars and their bus pink. The pink is fading and the property looks even older than it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sandwiched in the middle of a working fishing village, the hotel isn’t a secluded oasis. But it does have some fantastic views from the upper floors. And we were given a large suite on the second highest floor with stunning panoramic views of the ocean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The décor tries to be modern but doesn’t quite hit stylistically. And the water never got especially hot in the shower. The pool and beach area was fine, service there wasn’t especially good, they ran out of towels one day and promised to bring extras to our beach chairs but didn’t remember.

The spa on the other hand was quite good and very reasonable for a resort, with treatments running about US$40 per hour.

Breakfast was never available in the lounge during our stay. Occupancy was pretty low and I snuck a peak at the list of rooms eligible to use the facility. For most of our time there it was only five guest rooms. So we took our complimentary breakfast in the buffet restaurant. It was typical Asian resort fare with a mix of Korean, Japanese, and local dishes plus standard Western cook-to-order eggs, breakfast meats, fresh toast and the like. The particulars were changed up a bit each day.

What really didn’t work, though, is the Hilton Breakfast branding, cards on the tables, and promotional materials in the rooms. It’s fine for a Western city Hilton hotel, or the median Hilton Garden Inn, but it’s a small thing that really diminishes any sense of place.

The lounge was a nice refuge, largely because it was so quiet and the staff couldn’t do enough to please. They were bored there, though. Our second evening they even rang us in our room to remind us that they had complimentary cocktails and would we like to come up? (We didn’t.)

This is a friendly place and a decent beach vacation. But the dreary hallways and faded décor make it show its age. The most compelling argument for it is just how inexpensive it is. Actually booking an oceanview suite runs about $130 a night. And when you’re on-property things are generally inexpensive as well — my new standard metric for gauging the costliness of a property is the cost to have a pot of coffee delivered by room service. Here it was all of US$2.50.

Now, not everything is inexpensive. Somewhere along the way I cracked the face of the only watch I was traveling with. So I went into one of the hotel shops, where a cheap knockoff was running ~ $100. I didn’t see anyone buying anything of the sort in the shops, but they continue to insist on silly pricing. I bought a watch to use elsewhere.

2. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent review of this Hilton property by Gleff.

I have stayed twice and when returning to Cebu it will not be on my must stay list. Aside from the age, there is nothing within walking distance to the property. And the “beach” is not up to par with other resorts.

The best part of the hotel as Gleff points out is the staff. They are all top notch and ready to assist with everything. At the lounge they knew my name when I walked in - that was impressive.

If you are looking for a day trip, head over to Bohol by ferry. Its an easy day trip to see the chocolate hills and the Tarsier. The hotel can arrange a guided trip or go solo and upon arrival hire a driver.

Gleff did an great job with his photos of the property, I will share some room pictures.

Attached Files:

3. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a must stay for me as I'd rather spend my points there than pay real money for the admittedly superior Shangri-la next door....but sadly:

The management contract for the Hilton Cebu Resort & Spa will end on 31 March 2011.

A statement from Hilton reads, "The termination of the management contract is mutually agreed upon and allows both parties to explore new opportunities independently. It will have no impact on the employment status of the local hotel team members who are employed by the owning company."

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm confident I won't return now that it'll be a Movenpick. But darn, talk about a cheap place to straight-up buy an ocean view suite...

5. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I will miss going there as a returning HH Diamond on points...... Capture.JPG Capture0.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

uggboy likes this.