Hilton Category Changes, Southwest Gift Cards 15% Off, 5x on Gas, and More!

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

I hope many of you are finishing up the work week early today and then getting to enjoy a little time off – though hopefully you didn’t plan a 4th of July trip to the Outer Banks or coast of North Carolina thanks to Hurricane Arthur!

Here are some quick and to the point miles and points updates so you can get back to packing, finishing up your work, or simply already enjoying a nice day off.

• Some Hilton HHonors properties are changing categories effective July 9th. I do not like Hilton’s move toward changing hotel categories seemingly every quarter. That is just too frequently for families to be able to effectively plan for how many points they need. None the less, on the list of hotels increasing in points cost are places such as: Hilton Garden Inn Lake Buena Vista/Orlando, Embassy Suites Anaheim-Orange, Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge (jumping all the way from a 6 to an 8?!), and Embassy Suites Napa Valley. There are some properties decreasing in category as well – i recommend checking out the full list as you only have until July 9 to lock in at the current rates. Thanks to One Mile at a Time for sharing this development.
    • 15% off Southwest gift cards via TwoSmiles using code FIREWORKS15 through July 7th. This seems like an easy way for decent savings on Southwest flights! Thanks to View From the Wing for sharing the info.
    • 20% bonus when converting SPG points into American Airlines miles or US Airways miles until July 30th. This means that if you transfer 20,000 SPG points to US Airways or American Airlines ,you get the normal 5,000 mile bonus to get to 25,000 miles, and then a 20% bonus on top of that to get you to 30,000 miles. This offer is completely uninteresting to me as I value my SPG points highly for SPG hotel stays and a 20% bonus isn’t enough to make me want to turn them into airline miles, but I’m sure this offer makes sense for some. Remember that transfers do take a few days to process.
    • Remember the Chase Freedom® 3rd quarter 5x bonus categories of gas stations and Kohl’s are now in effect, so if you are filling up the car to start a 4th of July road trip then make sure to use your Freedom card. Also be sure to read my post from yesterday about five ways to make road trips better! I’ll post more about maximizing this quarter’s bonus categories once we get back home (and to my “test” gas stations) from our current 4th of July trip.

If you come across any other interesting points developments, feel free to share!

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links. As always, thanks for your support.

The post Hilton Category Changes, Southwest Gift Cards 15% Off, 5x on Gas, and More! appeared first on Mommy Points.

The post Hilton Category Changes, Southwest Gift Cards 15% Off, 5x on Gas, and More! appeared first on BoardingArea.

Continue reading...