Hilton Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Mrs. Fredd, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're just completing a one-night stay at the Hilton Buenos Aires in the Puerto Madero District, our fourth stay at this property in the past three years.

In 2009 this was one of our favorite Hiltons. Sadly, our stay in 2010 was quite disappointing, and fellow FTers who had stayed here expressed similar opinions. For us it had pretty well gone from "first to worst." The Executive Lounge was being renovated, and the temporary lounge in the "presidential suite" one floor up was barely adequate. More important, the food and beverage offerings had declined significantly and the employees didn't seem to be very friendly or helpful. The fact that the concierge desk remained on the eighth floor, a floor below the temporary lounge,didn't help with the communications either. A concierge even told us she felt "isolated." Still, we had a Q3 promotion to utilize and we thought we'd give it one more try before saying Adios to this property.

We're pleased to find it greatly improved since our previous visit. [​IMG] A room wasn't yet available on our noon arrival. The front-desk clerk apologized and explained the hotel had been full the previous night. She gave us a voucher for a complimentary wine or beer in the lobby wine bar, offered us the use of showers in the fitness area, and of course immediate Executive Lounge access.

The renovated lounge is very pleasant, and includes four free computers. The evening appetizer offerings were much more appealing and there's a fairly wide range of alcohol choices - we stuck with the Malbec.

Breakfast this morning wasn't spectacular, but it was certainly adequate. We arrived at 9:30 a.m. and were interested to see a supervisor enter a little later to thoroughly inspect the buffet and the rest of the lounge, directing one employee to replenish the butter patties, and clearly expressing his displeasure to another about the empty bacon plate. As he swept out, the body language of the employees made it clear that the management at this property is making a significant effort to raise their standards.

This is anecdotal and based only on a one-night stay, but at this point we'd look forward to another stay at this property, which was far from the case last year.

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear of your troubles with the last stay. I've read the pool is very nice at this property.

How is it's location for a tourist? (another MP'er in another tread stated the Hilton is a bit isolated)

travelinmike33 and uggboy like this.
  3. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the pool is very nice, although we haven't used it on this quick stay. It's directly accessible through the Executive Lounge by the way.

As far as Puerto Madero, it's all a matter of preference. Buenos Aires is a city of very distinct neighborhoods and people have their own favorite areas. Last year we stayed one night at the Marriott on Florida Street, a favored location for many. We enjoy Puerto Madero and for us it's not a big deal to take a cab (or rapid transit) if we want to go elsewhere, but it would be worth doing your own research because each district or neighborhood is unique.

travelinmike33, uggboy and aromero80 like this.
  4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree that it is a bit isolated. Puerto Madero is quite a tourist destination area and the restaurants and such in the area cater to that crowd. So for my money its not the place to be. I'd rather stay in Recoleta or out in the Palermos.

But I have been in this hotel enough (never as a quest myself, but with guests) to know it has its values or did as of 2008.

Very glad to hear it has improved. My question for the OP is this. Is the new renovated lounge of similar size as the old one? I remember it being quite large and even had a billiards table in it.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good report. I like this hotel a lot- also for meetings it is really excellent.

uggboy likes this.
  6. I agree. The 4 times I've visited Buenos Aires for business I have stayed at this hotel. It's pretty safe and there are good restaurants close by. Service has always been excellent. I'll be there this coming August, so, I look forward to seeing renovations.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone got anything to add with regards to this hotel. We have a stay coming up in BA and am thinking of staying at the Hilton for the first half of our trip and at the Hyatt on points on the second half.

uggboy likes this.
  8. BlondeBomber
    Original Member

BlondeBomber Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this location--if you want to go for a hike/run whatever in a bit of "nature", you are only a couple of blocks from the ecological reserve. As others have said, not that difficult to take a cab, transit or walk (we took a cab out and walked all the way back from the Rose Garden area through the parks and cemetery and embassy district last time there).

Toula likes this.
  9. I've stayed here twice. Great hotel! Lots of help (I had a jacket that need to have the lining re-sewed; got great help with this. Also, got to use the phone in the Concierge lounge to help with a canceled flight, and help with the Diamond Desk for a re-booking). Great location, near lots of good restaurants, and an easy walk to good spots in BA. Recommended.

10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have booked Park Tower and now found this thread. Have anybody stayed at Park Tower and can compare these 2 properties for me.

11. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    My question for the OP is this. Is the new renovated lounge of similar size as the old one? I remember it being quite large and even had a billiards table in it.[/quote]

I believe it is the same space....lots of room. Don't recall the billiards table, but there is a bank of computers.