Hilton Brisbane

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Leumas, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    There aren't too many top-end hotels in Brisbane. Unfortunately, this Hilton can be classified as 'solid' at best. Hilton also used to have a Conrad in Brisbane, but it had since left Hilton. I digress.

The location of this hotel can't be beat. It's right in the middle of the main shopping area (Queen Street Mall), while the main entrance is on Elizabeth St. The front desk is actually on Level 6, meaning you'll have to catch a lift from either side to Level 6. After check-in, you'll have to catch a different lift to your level.

Although I'm only a lowly HH Silver, I got upgraded to the Exec Floor with lounge access. In previous occasions that I was upgraded to the Exec Floor, I was explicitly told no lounge access. I got lucky this time. With the location of the hotel, there isn't much of a view, but you can see the famous Brisbane River.

There's an outdoor pool and a gym (indoors, obviously), but on different levels. The restaurant and breakfast spread are, again, solid but not spectular. If you've lounge access, you can have breakfast in the lounge or at the restaurant. The lounge serves snacks during the day and canapes during the evening. No wifi anywhere in the hotel, except in the lounge.

Rooms are an average size, not big, but not small either. The bathrooms are quite outdated though - no separate showers and baths. However, there are some renovated rooms where there are walk-in showers, but no baths. Regardless, the bathrooms are on the small side.

All Hiltons in Australia impose a 1.5% surcharge on credit card payments. The only exemption (as I understand) is if you book a pre-paid rate.

Pros:
    - Good lounge and good staff in general

Cons:
    - The building the hotel is in has been in renovation for over a year now (but it doesn't affect the hotel)
    - Solid, but nothing can be classified as spectular
    - Small bathrooms
    - Credit card surcharge

JDiver and kiwi like this.
  2. Zinzan
    Original Member

Zinzan Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review, Leumas.

Unfortunately, since the Conrad left the Hilton group, and the Sheraton was rebranded, Brisbane doesn't have a lot by way of main international chain hotels other than the Hilton (and the Marriott).

Any idea when the renovation might be finished?

3. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The exec floors are good.
    The remainder are very average.

Have also had luck when on Exec Floor just talking my way into breakfast!

4. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rooms are very small, and twice I've had my bed type requests not honoured! Only been upgraded to exec floor once (as a Diamond).

Unfortunately, I agree it's only an average hotel. More like a Doubletree (if they existed in Australia)

5. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    The updated rooms at the Hilton BNE are pretty good, IMHO especially those with the shower instead of bath (or stand in bath to shower). Exec floor staff, especially the manager have always been helpful.

6. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my mind, this is a key question. The renovation has been very disruptive and the hotel seems not to care too much.

In terms of food, thankfully there are so many good options within a few blocks. And it is not too hard to wander down to the spectacular restaurants at Eagle Street Pier

7. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Stamford in Brisbane is another good option and still in a good position, unfortunately they are closed until the end of March due to the flooding.

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    While the hotel seems not to care too much, they should.
    1. They are almost certainly getting some kind of compensation for the disruption, either from the building owner or from whoever is doing the renovation.
    2. You have a right to know upon booking that there is renovation going on in the building, and that it will be disruptive. If you were not told in advance of arrival, that is a problem, and they should offer you some kind of adjustment, or arrange more suitable place to stay.
    3. If the renovation is significantly more disruptive than you expected from any advance description, again they should offer you a choice of an adjustment or a more suitable place to stay.
    You will not be the first to complain about this renovation, so they should have a policy thought out and just apply it, rather than give you a run-around. If they don't do this, contact Hilton.

9. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    Hope this works, trying to attach my photos, Stayed in King Suite in Dec 10 following U2 concert, fairly decent refurbished room, would be happy to return there.

wombat18 likes this.
  10. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been pretty happy with the Hilton Brisbane on both stays (both as HH Gold).

First stay in 2008 was upgraded to an un-renovated Executive Floor room. Lounge offerings were quite good with several hot dishes available with pre-dinner drinks.

Second stay in 2010 was upgraded to a renovated Executive Floor room after a bed type bungle (booked twin, received king). Lounge offerings significantly 'enhanced' with sparse canapés but was given the option for a full breakfast at the main restaurant.

Overall a solid hotel where elite recognition seems to be consistent and a location that's hard to beat.

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here a couple years ago, and they were renovating the exec floor at that time. I thought the lounge was OK, and rather liked the outdoor pool, since it was long enough to swim laps, and being out by the side was never crowded. Can't beat the location. We'd previously stayed at the Treasury when it was a Conrad, which made for an interesting contrast.

12. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I only see this from my own narrow perspective but I am surprised to see negative comments on the thread. We always get a refurbished room and I find it to be good solid value for the price. bluesky and I have obviously stayed at different Hiltons and Doubletrees as I have never seen a Doubletree similar to this hotel and which is certainly much better than some full Hiltons I have stayed at in the USA.

13. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will miss the Conrad Treasury - but the times I have stayed at the Hilton I would say put it solidly in the middle of the Hiltons herd. Nothing really stands out as excellent or seriously poor, with decent views from the Club Lounge, and fantastic location. One will certainly not go hungry with the many options in the neighbourhood and it's easy walking to nearly anyplace in the CBD and nearby and excellent transport availability for those who wish to travel farther. (And the BNE travel mob are exceedingly friendly, hospitable people [​IMG].)