Hilton Bora Bora and Moorea

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by deant, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    On the other board there are numerous discussions relative to award availability at both Bora Bora and Moorea. Currently both hotels have deemed all rooms "Premium" rooms. Both hotels are Cat 7 with a standard redemption of 50,000 points per night (less for VIP and AXON). However, since they have declared ALL rooms as premium, there are no rooms available at the 50K level (even 2 years out!).

The MINIMUM room rate is now over 100,000 points per night. According to a letter that one person received, Hilton is now allowing resorts to set their own reward schedule irrespective of the category of the hotel.

This is a slippery slope. What is to stop Hilton from allowing ALL hotels to set their own award schedules? A Cat 1 HGI could declare that they only have "premium" rooms and therefore charge 50K per night.

No notification was given for this change in policy. All they said was that they would allow booking of "premium" rooms with award points. Nothing about a hotel being allowed to consider ALL their rooms "premium".

Again, a MAJOR devaluation of the HHonors program.

Horse, nime01, MyMiles&Points and 7 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Allowing all resorts to set their own reward schedules without coming into line with their respective category let's them run wild and declare all rooms a premium room and it is impossible to get any value out of HH points anymore in the future with these properties. Thanks for letting us know, what a news to digest right now!:eek:

Horse, nime01, Pete and 1 other person like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is similair to so many properties "opting out" of promotions. HHonors needs to get their properties on board with the program and their promotions and standardize awards otherwise they're going to start loosing members. Every week it seems like Hilton is de-valuing their program even more.

I have become disenchanted with the program. :( Worse since I was hoping to use points at the Bora Bora property.

Horse, Toula, nime01 and 4 others like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not cool.

Horse, nime01, Pete and 3 others like this.
  5. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a 'slightly' stronger reaction.;)

7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, this is a very slippery slope indeed. Hopefully this will be the Qwikster of hotel reward slip ups and changed back ASAP!

Horse, wheat27, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Don't remember if we have a Hilton rep contact for MilePoint but I know that FT does.

Suggest everyone write to flyertalk@hilton.com and express our concern about this change and what it lays the groundwork for.

Horse, wheat27, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem here is something similar to that seen at SPG in that some of their ultra premium properties don't fall within the normal parameters of the program. I think this is fair from a business standpoint to the hotel owner/operator but at the same time, there must be significant proof points that they should have to provide to the Loyalty program as to why they are "special" in order to ensure that the interests of their customers are protected.

It'd be nice to know what the business case requirements are for a property to be outside the regular category levels.

Horse, nime01 and uggboy like this.
  10. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the email address. I'll be composing an email shortly on my dissappointment. This comes not long after seeing the Hilton Sydney going for over 720,000 points per night. I am starting to think I will get to use my 400,000+ points for a 1 night stay at the Des Moines Hampton.
    I'm not hopeful that anything will change though. I will most likely be switching my primary hotel group to SPG or Hyatt regardless. :(

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    At least with SPG you can see it upfront. For HHonors you need to look for availability and then find out that the are just kidding that the property is a certain category.

Horse, nime01, jmrich1432 and 2 others like this.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just looked up a few hotels and cities to see what the rates are for "premium" rooms out there. Have to say that I am quite disappointed with the value that HHonors is allocating to points... rooms which go for small nominal amounts in price over the standard room require a significant increase in point. I'd be surprised if anyone short of a HHonors billionaire would even consider these for redemption.

On the plus side, I've noticed that on occasion, the premium room award points actually came out lower than the standard room award. I believe this is because they tie the premium award room redemption directly to the market rate. Not a huge or common plus but something which might be useful for someone doing a short stay over an unpopular weekend.

Horse and uggboy like this.
  13. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    This significantly devalues the HH program. With no advance notice. Particularly insulting if you were banking HH points to redeem at one of these properties and had not yet made the booking (as is my case).

14. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good thought, but it needs to be broader based than just that contact. Suggest that everyone also contact Diamond Desk and HH generally.

Horse, nime01, jmrich1432 and 2 others like this.
  15. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea, Pete!

Horse, uggboy and nime01 like this.
  16. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, over on FT one member received a response. It is NOT an error. They are now allowing some hotels to have "premium only" rooms.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17261137-post33.html

The following is a copy and paste of the response he received (bolding is his):

"Hello Mr. jasonvr,

Thank you for your message to Hilton Reservations and Customer Care. It is my pleasure to assist you today regarding your concerns with Premium Rewards.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. With the new Reward offerings provided by HHonors, some of our hotels only offer Premium Rewards. Because rooms at some of our Resorts offer additional features or are not standard hotel rooms (i.e. bungalows) all room types for these hotels are now considered Premium Rooms and the point values will now reflect this new change."

What devaluation will be next?????????

Horse and uggboy like this.
  17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a good decision on Hilton's part in our books! Only they offer bungalows, this should not be seen as charging well above 100.000 points for a night! Strange decision and a major devaluation of our // your collected points!:mad:

Horse and deant like this.
  18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But knowing Hilton, it will be a hard and wobbly road ahead to get a reaction out of them or even change!

Horse and deant like this.
  19. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So overall, this does mean we // you can earn and collect many points with real hotel stays [ paid ] and get fewer and fewer free nights at their properties, which on the other hand offer rewards incl. premium rewards at exorbitant point values which have nothing to do with rewarding their most loyal guests. That's a real slap in the face!:mad:

Horse, Pete and deant like this.
  20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Insulting indeed, I would wish they bring in line redemptions rates for free nights again and finishing off with joking around with point valuations which are clearly, very clearly out of whack!

Horse and Pete like this.
  21. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more - I actually had plans to use some of my Hhonors points for a French Polynesia trip once I'm able to find the reward tickets for the flights.

Horse, Pete, jmrich1432 and 2 others like this.
  22. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell me about it.:mad: I had already started trading and converting miles to get my award seats to PPT.

23. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. But the casual HH member probably won't even become aware of this devaluation for some time (if at all), so we need to make some noise now.

24. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the irony of this decision is that tourism in FP generally is way off from 3-5 years ago due to the economy. You would think that the resort operator would at least want to fill some rooms with award nights and make some money on exorbitantly-priced incidentals (along with the HH reimbursement).

25. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree completely. Everyone needs to send notes to HHonors expressing their dissatisfaction. .

Horse and jmrich1432 like this.