Hilton Berlin: No Free Upgrades to EF for Golds

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Minnesota Bruin, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just checked into the Hilton Berlin and was told no free upgrades to the executive floor for HHonor Golds. However, I could purchase an upgrade to an EF room for 40 Euro a night.

I check FT and saw that it's been reported over there but didn't see any discussion here.

Is this a rogue property or new corporate policy?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they have too many Diamond guests? :confused: Interesting though...

uggboy and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  3. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i thought the policy was upgrade if space was available. i don't understand the charging part, though. essentially, they say there isn't space but if you give them money, then you can have the space. :confused: very strange. wonder if this worth "reporting" as it seems very odd.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked into the Hilton Dubrovnik almost two years ago and after much complaining they upgraded one of my two rooms and I am a Diamond member. The upgprade was not worth the arguing that I went through. I find that Hilton in Europe is not as accomodating as in the US

5. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, so the TOBB has figured this one out here "Bye bye Executve Lounge for Golds?". Basically, unlike any Hilton property I've even been to, the Hilton Berlin requires Golds to pay for a "Guestroom Plus" in order to get upgraded to the EF. If you only pay for a "Guestroom" then you can only get upgraded to a "Plus" depending on availability. No "Guestroom" to EF for free for golds. It appears that the Hilton Berlin is the only property that currently interprets the T&C this way.

I do think they have lots of Diamonds and paying EF customers. But if EF space is available, you'd expect an upgrade as Gold, no? :confused:

EF space was and is available. I don't know for sure, but I think the following happened. I reserved a "Guestroom". There is no "Guestroom Plus" availability so I got no upgrade. For 40 Euro, I could have phantom-upgraded to a "Guestroom" and then gotten upgraded to the EF.

Clearly, if I had known this was the hotel policy in advance, I'd be enjoying Hyatt suite this week using a Diamond upgrade certificate. But I've always been taken care of very well in Europe as a Gold so I decided to finish up my Hilton Diamond challange with this stay. :(

Blue Skye and uggboy like this.
  6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been a couple of years, but I have stayed at both the Hilton Berlin and the Hilton in Dubrovnik. I'm Gold, and I received upgrades without asking at both properties. I used points for both stays, so I'm unsure if that may have made a difference. So if they are not now giving upgrades, that may be a new policy?

Minnesota Bruin and uggboy like this.
  7. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    New Hilton Berlin hotel policy to not upgrade Golds from standard guest room to executive guest room. The agent was apologetic but un-bending.

A fellow Gold that I know checked in today and also was denied upgrade to EF.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't you get free breakfast in the hotel restaurant as a Gold if you are not given lounge access? Breakfast in the restaurant may be better than in the lounge.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, free breakfast in the restaurant. I understand the buffets are similar.

But that's a side issue and I prefer to use the EL as a lounge than a diner. ;)

Blue Skye and uggboy like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to completely disagree with this statement. I have had some wonderful upgrades and overall treatment at the Cavalieri, Hilton Sorrento, Paris ADT, Hilton Lyon, Hilton Evian Les Baines, Conrad Brussels, Hilton Vienna, Hilton Buda Caste, Hilton Prague, Hilton Westend Budapest, Hilton Toledo, Hilton Diagonal Mar, Hilton Madrid Airport... just to name a few that comes readily to mind.
    In fact the general opinion among HH members that the Euopean properties across the board treat their elites far batter than US hotels.

Besides that fact that majority of the the Euopean hotels have Executive lounges with decent food and alcoholic drink offerings they tend to be generally much nicer. I am pretty hard pressed to name a US HH property with a lounge approaching some of the very basic ones encountered overseas.

As a HH diamond I for one have no problems with hotels restricting lounge access and upgrades to Golds its about time HH differentiated between its top elite level and Golds and I have grown more than weary seeing comments often posted " Gold is the same as Diamond at Hiltons":)

uggboy, Blue Skye and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  11. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good information to know since we're staying there for a few nights in July. Course lounge access isn't a make or break for me, I just want the room with a view if I can get it...

12. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. That's why I didn't flinch when booking this property. Europe has always treated this gold well.

If Hilton doesnt want to upgrade Golds, then fine change the rules and Golds won't get upgraded and won't expect upgrades. But for a single property to interpret the T&C differently than all other properties is, quite frankly, bullsh!t.

uggboy and Blue Skye like this.
  13. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is also not guaranteed. I have no view and no EL access.

uggboy and nova like this.
  14. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh well, can't do anything to change things now I guess. Hopefully if things work out I won't be in the room much anyway...

15. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just keep in mind that your normally expected Gold benefits might not apply here. So you might consider another Hilton property or go cheap with another chain and buy amenities.

Out of principle alone, I won't book the Hilton Berlin again, even as a diamond starting on Monday. They seem to think what they do is acceptable and I disagree. Hilton corporate also doesn't seem to care.

uggboy, nova and Blue Skye like this.
  16. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    good info to know. i am not a fan of "rogue" hotels interpreting the rules as they wish. it is a revenue maker that is unwarranted where it comes to elites IMO. charge for an upgrade that most other hotels would give it to you? i will avoid that hotel in the future and consider others instead.'
    ETA: where in the booking info does it tell you exactly what type of room you have booked? does it show executive floor or just regular guest room?

i am familiar with this in my bookings of rooms in the UK but have always gotten an upgrade as gold, so never thought it was important to pay the extra bucks for it. now i guess i will have to think twice.

uggboy likes this.
  17. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotels already paid for. One of those pre-paid saver rates. No telling when or if I'll be in Berlin again either. This is a pleasure trip and next time I go to Europe, it will probably be to an entirely different set of cities. lol

Like I said, hopefully it won't matter because if I can help it, basically all we'll be doing is sleeping at the hotel...

uggboy likes this.
  18. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is in fact in the T&Cs. From http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/gold.do
    Where does it say you are guaranteed any amazing upgrade? If you get a room on a higher floor, that's good enough to follow the rules. Of course people expect more, but technically speaking you are not guaranteed anything above a small upgrade in room quality. It even gives the hotels complete discretion as to what is a preferred room from your booked room.

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are not guaranteed anything. You're given what's available out of whatever the hotel has deemed to be the gold upgrade pool.

This is OK and at least competitive for gold, but for Diamond stronger language would be nice.

20. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I understand the T&C. I don't "expect" an amazing upgrade (most EF rooms are not amazing, anyways). However, I have never personally been declined an EF room when they are available. And the only reason I checked the availability in this case was because I was offered an upgrade for cash to the EF after I was declined a Gold upgrade.

So far, based on the FT thread, it appear that the Hilton Berlin is following the T&C differently than other hotels. They are free to do that. But what I'd like to see published on the HHonors website (or elsewhere) is a list of the room rates qualify for space-available upgrades to the EF. Otherwise, how is one suppose to know?

uggboy likes this.
  21. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, how do we find out what each hotel has deems to be the gold upgrade pool? On United, I know a "W" fare makes me eligible for a space available GPU. The same is true on other airlines. Why can't HHonors list the EF upgrade eligible room rates on their website?

uggboy likes this.
  22. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems you are sort of missing the point here. Hotel upgrades operate quite differently from airlines.

There are no EF upgradable room rates. One get upgraded as a result of a number factors including but not exclusive to:
    a) Status
    b) Hotel occupancy
    c) Length of stay
    d) Time of check in
    e) Number of previous stays at the property.
    Basically the only to guarantee that you will be on the EF is to pay for it or at the least maintain top status in the loyalty
    program.

mattsteg, Minnesota Bruin and uggboy like this.
  23. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is not true for Hilton Berlin. Even if EF is available (as it was in my case), Golds are not eligible for an upgrade to the EF unless they have booked a "Guestroom Plus". Therefore, a Gold with a standard guestroom will never get upgraded (unless I suppose there are no other available standard guestrooms). I was offered an upgrade to the EF for cash.

From HHonors: "Regarding room upgrades, a “room upgrade”constitutes a next-best available room upgrade from the room type booked. Thismay include a room on the executive floor, but not always. Room upgrades arealso subject to availability at the hotel."

BTW: Folks, thanks for this interesting discussion!

uggboy likes this.
  24. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on what airline and what hotel ;)
    There's certainly much more potential for hotels to be complicated, as they can easily have a very large number of room types "legitimately", plus can conjure up additional types almost at-will. Upgrades can be X number of categories up (I believe intercontinental Ambassador upgrades are handled this way), best room, up to some threshold (like spg platinum up to select suites), ambiguous with hints of greatness or nothing like Hilton, nothing more than something other than the worst room in the place like SPG gold, upgrade instruments like suite uprades or points, etc. There's more ambiguity than airline upgrades, and certainly more room for discretion, good or bad, but the systems aren't all that different.

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  25. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Copenhagen airport has recently started with this same policy. Now Gold will no longer be upgraded from standard room to Executive like they has always done when available. Gold will now be upgrade to deluxe with no EL access. New German manager supposedly to thank for this enhancement.

Minnesota Bruin likes this.