Review Hilton Bentley | Miami Beach South

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by MyTravels, Mar 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Quick Review: Hilton Bentley (Miami Beach Sout)

Checkin:Very smooth. Arrived early and they offered a better room if I could wait, which I did. They took my mobile number and called me when my room was ready, and what a nice upgrade it was.

Status/Upgrade: Recognized status, upgraded prior to checkin (online reservation showed 1br rather than the standard room booked), card for free internet, three restaurant coupons - two for a free mojito and one 20% off the restaurant (De Rodriguez Cuba), and had a bottle of bubbly in the room waiting.

Location: On 1st Street and Ocean Drive, the second building south of the MarriottSouthBeach. The location has nice dining in the area, one evening party venue (Nikki Beach) and a quick bike ride (rental bikes near the Ocean Beach Park, which also has a playground), bus ride or ~$9 taxi ride up to 15th street (near Loews, Ritz-Carlton, Z Ocean, Winter Haven, Hotel Victor, Courtyard, HGVC timeshare) or up to Lincoln Ave. Taxi's were plentiful.

Parking: Street parking available for around $1.75/hours and the hotel has an on-site garage (floors 2 & 3), check the hotel website for hotel parking prices. Taxi to/from MIA airport is a flat-rate of $32 each way.

Hotel/Building: Built in 2003 by the same owners as the Bentley South Beach Hotel as a boutique Condo/Hotel with all rooms having a kitchenette (studios) or full kitchen (1br & 2br). Speaking with the staff they said that 20 of the 110 rooms are condo's (privately owned) It is always hard to maintain a building by salt water and this building is showing its age although the rooms are very nice - and I would prefer a dated building and nice room over a nice building and dated rooms.

Amenities: Two lobby computers and printer, gym and sauna, pool, hot tub, beach access. Poolside also has SPF-15, SPF-30, SPF-50 and Aloe in little pumps. USA today delivered to the room while the lobby has the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal and New York Times. Internet was fast in the lobby but slow in my room (may be room specific) and used my hot-spot wifi much of the stay. Sand toys were also available.

Room: A very nice 1br corner suite with a wrap-around terrace so there is both a partial ocean view and a view of the city and a full kitchen. Space wise there is ~700 sq ft interior space and an additional ~250 sq ft of exterior space (~950 total). The maintenance fees and taxes on the similar condo-hotel unit is about $55/day. The outside walls are almost completely windows so the let in lots of light (and nice view). The hotel was very busy and during the weekend the housekeeping was focused on cleaning rooms turning over so housekeeping sometimes did not clean the room until post 5pm. The full kitchen included place settings for four people (silverware, plates, bowels, coffee cups, wine glasses, champagne flutes, other drinking glasses), full refrigerated (ice maker & stocked with min-bar items), oven, stove top, large Microwave, Cuisinart 1 or 2 cup coffee maker, toaster, kitchen sink, tea kettle, ice bucket, cutting board, lap TV-tray, paper towels, tea bags, coffee packets.
    Room    Beds/Baths    SqFt (m²)
    1       1/1            740 (68.7)
    2       1/1            520 (48.3)
    3       Studio         400 (37.2)
    4       Studio         415 (38.6)
    05A     Studio         302 (28.1)
    05B     Studio         382 (35.5)
    6       1/1            620 (57.6)
    7       1/1           1067 (99.1)
    11      1/1            710 (66.0)
    12      1/1            515 (47.8)
    13      Studio         400 (37.2)
    14      Studio         416 (38.6)
    15A     Studio         300 (27.9)
    15B     Studio         385 (35.8)
    16      1/1            640 (59.5)
    17      1/1            715 (66.4)
    18      Studio         365 (33.9)
    Body Care: Peter Thomas Roth - Bath Soap Bar, Hand Soap Bar, Body Wash, Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Lotion, Mouth Wash, Kleenex, Bath Robes, Slippers

Hotel Staff: Polite and upbeat. The manager is first rate - During one stop at the front desk, just to ask a question, she was on the phone with a college and almost immediately told them she would call them back, hung up, answered my quick question, then called the college back.

Breakfast/Dining/Lounge/Club: No Lounge. Continental breakfast is De Rodgriguez Cuba restaurant with an option to upgrade to hot breakfast for $5/person more (The continental breakfast costs $12/person for a 3rd person or w/o status). The cold breakfast seems more than adequate as it includes fruit (pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew, orange, grapefruit, apples, bananas), cereals, oatmeal, pastries, lox, three types of cold meats, six types of cheeses, Dannon Activia Probiotic yogurt, plane yogurt and cottage cheese.

Dining (non-breakfast) at the De Rodgriguez Cuba – Food is good, but prices are hotel-high and portions are small. Prime Italia (on Ocean) is always full and I have heard that the food is great if you do not mind the prices.

Summary: I found the location good, loved the room and would definitely come back and recommend to others, but would always caveat the building has some wear and location to set expectations appropriately.

Attached Files:

WhiteDesert, mtlfire and uggboy like this.
  2. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Nice review, appreciate the floor maps.

Not sure if its on all the floors, but I've been in 03 and its handicap accessible with roll-in shower and lower shower head.
  3. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Nice Review. Thanks.