Hilton Barra Rio de Janeiro - Review

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by nldogbert, Jun 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

May 2015 review:
    I recently stayed 1 night at this property. My first impression is wow, wow, wow..I have never had such customer service and friendliness shown by any chain hotel (even beats some of the best Asian hotels I have been too).

Check-in: Efficient and fast. Was greeted and welcomed as a Gold member. Given an upgrade to a deluxe room with Lounge access.

Room: From size point, standard size. There was a welcome gift (I guess) consisting of a local ice tea and local chips (very nice). The bathroom had only a shower and the size was ok. Not sure if only in Deluxe room and higher, but toiletries were from the L'Occitane brand (a very nice change).
    The room faced the main road, but the windows are very sound proof. This had a view into the faraway lagoon.

Lounge: Located on the 8th floor, the breakfast offering was limited, but for me more than sufficient with 2 hot dishes, eggs and bacon. They had some of the best Pao de Queijo (cute and crispy on the outside) during this trip to Brazil. Evening offering was not too bad, most probably you can't make meal out of it, but it was quality food. Only complain (most probably because of the low number of lounge eligible guest), refills were not that generous in the evening. Drinks selection was plentiful.

Pool: A very nice infinity type pool. Too bad I did not have time to use it, but I am sure it would have been a nice relaxing place.

Staff: This is one of the best highlight of this hotel. The staff here were just great (is it because the hotel is new?), since I had a late flight, I planned to just check out in the morning, leave the bags at the hotel and come back later to use only the facilities and lounge. I requested this, and they came back to offer me to use the room till late evening without charge. Whenever I asked for information, they came back with every single details and gave advise on what is the best and efficient method. Unfortunately, when I was going to miss my flight that evening, they went out of their way to try every single method to assist me. Every single staff that I interacted with showed such sincerity and friendliness as if I was a family friend.

Location: This as everyone pointed out, is really the pitfall of this hotel. It is really far from everything when you include the time wasted in the traffic. [due to this reason, I missed my flight]. On a Friday late afternoon, it took me 2.5 hours to get from Sugar Loaf back to the hotel. From the airport on a Thursday night, it took about an hour. Taxi will cost you about 100 BRL one way. To Copacabana, approx 70 BRL with the private taxi (could be slightly less or more with a metered one).
    One tip: (which I did not know until I went back to the airport), there seems to exist a paid toll road to the airport and from. I don't know if this toll road is as traffic heavy as the others (any local residence can update?), but on a Friday night, it took me approx 20 mins to get from the hotel to the airport via this toll road.

If I were to return to Rio (doubt that with the horrible traffic), this would certainly be my hotel of choice.
    jbcarioca, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Thanks for your insightful review, good to hear about the service and all the other aspects of this new Hilton hotel in Rio. Cheers. :)
    jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Thanks for posting. I have not yet been in the hotel but I'll make it a point now to go by and look around. Until the Olympics the location does seem out of the way, but the business community is growing in Barra and not so much in Zona Sul, so i suspect the Hilton is really in the right place for the future.
    uggboy likes this.