Hilton award stays DON'T count for status qualification?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by DAS02135, Aug 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Edited to remove the original question and hopefully avoid alarm...

False alarm. While http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/landing/myway_benefits_diamond/index.do is the top hit on Google when searching for "Hilton Diamond Benefits", the page is out of date.

The Diamond Desk confirmed "HHonors members still receive stay and night credit for their eligible reward stays, which will count toward member tier qualification for the calendar year. Beginning January 1, 2013 members must record 30 qualifying stays, 60 qualifying nights, or 120,000 base points in the calendar year to achieve or maintain Diamond status."

ballardFlyer likes this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought it changed to 30 stays as of 2013. I'm sure it did. 28 was 2012 and prior.

Have you checked the web wayback machine for this page? I would but I'm on my iPhone.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    ballardFlyer likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP must have found a cached link because you are right. The number of elite qualification stays/nights/points changed for all levels and is as follows for Diamonds:
    Award stays still count toward elite status:
    The flexibility to earn status on base points, nights, and/or stays, including on reward stays, is an area where HHonors remains unparalleled.

ballardFlyer, desamo and N965VJ like this.
  5. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true, and somehow I had it stuck in my head that it was 40 stays to reach Diamond, not 30.

ballardFlyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assure you award stays count, or I'd be hosed.

Currently at 28 stays, 47 nights.....

ballardFlyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP back....

Rewards stays DO count.

I found the page when I Googled "Hilton Diamond Benefits." That was the first site which came up on Google.

I emailed the Diamond Desk, and got an answer an hour later stating, "HHonors members still receive stay and night credit for their eligible reward stays, which will count toward member tier qualification for the calendar year. Beginning January 1, 2013 members must record 30 qualifying stays, 60 qualifying nights, or 120,000 base points in the calendar year to achieve or maintain Diamond status."

ballardFlyer likes this.
  8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm at 20 stays / 38 nights, but my spend is at $11k so for the first time ever I'm qualifying on spend rather than stays.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm at 87k base points, so that's $8.7k. Scarily, a third of that was three nights.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    81K base points on just 9 stays, 30 nights. Already booked the last 4 stays of the year that will get me just over 120K base points. So, I will wind up a Diamond with just 13 stays and under 50 nights. For my travel pattern, revenue-based qualification works, although last year I did qualify both on base points and nights. This flexibility on elite qualification is one of the features I like most about the HHonors program.

desamo and Weatherboy like this.
  11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is shockingly easy to make Diamond on spend - either hotel spend if you stay in expensive cities like NY, London, etc., or credit card spend. Really much easier on spend than on nights or stays.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that it is quite easy to make HH Diamond on revenue stays, I think that may be strictly true only for those, like me, who do not redeem during the year, preferring to accumulate points all year on spend and just redeem once at the end of the year on multiple reward stays. That is in contrast to those -- desamo may be one of them -- who do a mix of reward and revenue stays during the year and may thus find it easier to make HH Diamond on stays or nights, in which case the fact that reward stays/nights are elite-qualifying becomes very important,

Counsellor likes this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maldives here -- even more scarily, those three days were an HHonors redemption.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I mix revenue and reward stays a bunch. Nine of my 28 stays so far this year were either points or points + cash.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  15. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has there been a policy change? I didnt receive stay/night credit for an award stay; I emailed the Diamond desk for the missing stay credit and got a reply that award stays receive absolutely no credit of any kind.

16. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about HR Gold members? Is that the same?

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had a number of reward stays this year and they have all counted toward re-qualification of my Diamond status. Then again this past year they gave me Diamond for 4 years so re-qualification became moot. AFAIK it does not distinguish between levels.

WilliamQ likes this.
  18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how did you get 4 years of up-front Diamond status? :)

ACMM likes this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the Diamond desk agent who responded had not a clue. Please quote them this from the current HHonors T&C:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    ACMM likes this.
  20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really sure to be honest. Mid-2013 I rcvd a letter from HH saying that because I had been a Diamond member for so long They were giving me HH D through the 2017 status year. I still re-qualified this year on revenue anyway, but it was nice to not have the pressure on my paws. Will likely stop crazy travel well before then anyway.

WilliamQ and NYCUA1K like this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked back at my spreadsheet, and yes stays and nights were counted, points from $$ was not. Still not bad I think

WilliamQ likes this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard of this select multi-year status benefit that is awarded to long time Diamonds, which may be some sort of consolation since, unlike SPG or Hyatt, Hilton does not offer a lifetime benefit...

WilliamQ and ACMM like this.
  23. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, i reached out to Hilton Honors on Twitter recently to clarify this as i had an upcoming award stay, they confirmed that awards stays count towards eligible stays/nights

ACMM likes this.