Hilton Award Space Disappearing

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by emtesenair, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I've booked a few award stays over the past week clearing out my points but today I am finding today there is no award space avaliable for any hotel when I am logged into my acount. However, when I log out of my account award space magically appears but disappears after I log back in my account.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I am searching San Francisco, Paris, and Rome.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    (1) This doesn't explain the OP's issue, which was that he saw different award availability logged in vs. logged out. I suggest he contact Hilton directly after finding award inventory when logged out to complete the reservation.

(2) Yes, you'll have your pick of inventory later after all the complainers have left (and I think they have complained for good reason). And you'll have to pay twice as much for that inventory. Have fun.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't have points left to make a booking, you don't see award availability. That was a problem I saw before.

4. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's probably the problem in my case. I am waiting on a transfer from Hawaiian to post to make my last reward booking.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shame the gloater troll has showed up.

LETTERBOY, arkleseizure and Scottrick like this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before you get all uppity, it was not clear from the OP's post whether he had points left or not. He has booked reservations while clearing out his account, i.e., in the process of doing something that may or may not be complete. So, let's all remember the correct and specific answer to the difference between past tense and present perfect tense. :rolleyes:

NYCUA1K and ord1kflyer like this.
  7. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have about 4k points in my account after I spent 400k on 2 reservations. I'm guessing that since I don't have enough points for a reward night, they are not displaying availability. I can't see any other reason.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked with an account I manage that has about 2500 points. I had no problems seeing award rooms that cost 35,000 points.

mrredskin likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which means that the issue might be because he had logged out, not because he didn't have any points. I thought my solution to call Hilton and ask them to book the award manually was pretty reasonable.

10. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a very reasonable solution. Can't say I haven't enjoined the banter between everyone here though.

It is odd though that one person will see inventory but another not.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really. I'm a Diamond, so I see more inventory than others would.

NYCUA1K and emtesenair like this.
  12. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    True... I was downgraded to gold in January.

13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Milepoint is supposed to be different than TOBB, your attitude belongs elsewhere.

Edited to add: :)

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This not new at all. The system should show all available inventories, whether logged in or not. What it would do if one is logged in but short on points, is to tell you how many points you'd need to purchase a reward stay, and for how much...

It is, however, true that "In addition Diamonds saw more inventory than Golds when logged in"...Diamond Force!

Scottrick and newbluesea like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't explain why the 2500 points account I manage with no (blue) status sees award availability in my limited test. Certainly means that there is no check for available points in that case.

16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it doesn't. It just means that sometimes I see availability (when logged in) that other people may not.

I'm reminded of a recent conversation with a Hilton Garden Inn in Seattle.
    "The Hilton and Doubletree are sold out tonight," front desk clerk said.
    "They'd have found a room for me," I said.
    She looked at my status, saw it was Diamond, then said, "True."

But I never make anyone walk on my account, so....

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Claims that there are no differences between HH Diamonds and HH Golds ring hollow when one encounters the phenomenon that you just alluded to that was powerfully demonstrated a while back in this thread**, which is worth revisiting before we start reinventing the wheel...;)
    No need to sound almost apologetic! The example above was quite definitive in making your point...

**Get the whole point by starting to read one post before the one I linked to above

emtesenair, newbluesea and desamo like this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    clearly
    you admitted to being a gloating troll & because you disagree was not the reason.
    MP prides itself on being a more civil board, part of the culling is to call out those that are not. You've had many a substantive comments on other threads, what's not welcome is the gloating you are displaying here.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  19. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has to be the case. I logged into my wife's account today and she is able to see availability when I can't. I called Hilton and they told me it was because I didn't have enough points for a redemption.

They did little to explain why others with less status and few miles than I can see inventory.

Thanks everyone!

20. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems weird that he didn't see the space. When I burned my. HHonors points, I had just under two thousand short of two nights. It still showed the award space and at booking allowed me to buy the remaining points @ $0.01/point.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone else also experienced the same issue:

...and we were able to get to the bottom it. This weird behavior seems to happen after you have booked a stay or a bunch of stays that deplete your HH points, and then you try to book another stay. If you are still wondering or have a similar issue, that thread, beginning with the post just above is worth reading to see how we got to the bottom of it.

22. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a few nights and when my points got low it still showed up and told me how much $$ it would cost to purchase the points I was short.

On that note does one get a stay credit for award nights?

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on how short on point you are because there is very likely a threshold of point and cost for extra points at which it stops displaying availability. The pattern suggests that this also happens after one has just depleted the points booking, so you might need to log out and then back in.

You get stay/night credit and point credit only on incidental charges.

24. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Sir.