Hilton Auckland, NZ

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Status Traveller, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Status Traveller

Status Traveller Gold Member

I have had two stays at the Hilton Auckland recently - one as Gold and one as Diamond

My first stay was in January 2012 and as a HHonors Gold member I received an upgrade from a basic King Hilton Guestroom to a room on a higher floor and although we overlooked the apartments opposite we could see the harbour from the balcony (which contained no furniture:(). Gold gave me a complimentary bottle of wine, two drink vouchers, free internet and cooked buffet breakfast.
    The room was well designed with the usual comfortable bed and a huge bathroom with separate shower. I loved the packet of Anzac biscuits supplied with the tea and coffee.

Dinner in 'Fish' was delicious made better by the view.
    When we first went to breakfast I thought it was a bit limited but on further investigation realised that the plates of food on the buffet were small which turned out to be perfect as the food was replenished frequently. Loved the egg station, juices, choice of breads and freshly made espresso coffee (included with breakfast unlike at the Hilton Taupo). The gentleman at the next table asked if he could have a banana (not offered on the buffet) and one was delivered promptly. Having breakfast on the front veranda finished off our stay perfectly.

I have just returned from my most recent stay as a HH Diamond. Upgraded from a King Hilton Guestroom to a King Deluxe Harbour View room on level 7 (with table and chairs on the balcony:)) . Received complimentary bottle of water, fruit plate, two drink vouchers per day, free internet and cooked buffet breakfast. Unfortunately the Anzac biscuits have been replaced by shortbreads which were not nearly as nice.

Unfortunately the bar closed at midnight on both Friday and Saturday nights - I cannot understand this as there were quite a few paying customers who were enjoying the evening.

The hotel is in a great location on Princes Wharf which is a 5-10 minute walk from the Airport Express bus stop (NZ$26 return) and close to the ferries, many restaurants and shops.

All staff we came in contact with were friendly and professional.
    MDDCFlyer and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Thanks for sharing your insights and differences staying as Gold and Diamond! Makes for some interesting reading!:)
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward for my stay at the property next year.
  4. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

just stayed there as a diamond last week on cash+points. the reservation online kept charging my cc for the cash part upon reservation and i had to work with the GM directly to get it refunded (since it should only be charged upon checkout). Because of that mixup, which they attributed to a hilton system bug, I was promised a bow suite room several months before the stay during the booking. the bow suite is amazing - it's the front part of the "ship" design of the hotel with a angled balcony that sticks out towards the water. not really a full suite since it's just 1 long room and a bathroom. got 2 drink vouchers and free breakfast for 2 ($45x2 NZD value). great location, next to the ferry docks and walking distance (10min) to the airport bus stop at the ferry building.