Hilton “Unique Upgrade Opportunity” Doubtful

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by CrankyScott, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I make a booking at the Hilton websites I see a message at the top of the reservation and in the confirmation e-mail:

Unique Upgrade Opportunty
    PLEASE READ - Regarding This Reservation
    Premium rooms and customer services may still be available at time of check-in. Request these discounted opportunities now for as little as $5 extra.

I know it’s an up-sell scam of some sort – but does anyone know the details of what it is?

2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    NOR1.

Chimpy and CrankyScott like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I occasionally get those messages too. Usually at a large Hilton in a resort area, ex: Boca Raton Resort (Waldorf Astoria), DoubleTree Universal (Orlando, FL). It's just a "better" room (pool, ocean, golf course view) for a small upcharge. If it's worth the extra dough to you, it's usually less than the rate you would see for that room. You pay the new amount if the "better" room is available at the time you check in (you're now locked into this room). If it isn't available you still get your original room at the original rate.

4. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does NOR1 stand for??? Still hoping for a sticky with all of these acronyms explained..

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    NOR1 is a system from this company:
    http://www.nor1.com/

The purpose is to integrate with web and other channels to upsell customers thus generating incremental revenue opportunities for the hotel. It is legitimate- the one gripe from one many elites is how this affects their chances for upgrades (unknown).

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If I may summarize, Hilton has decided that they would like to fill higher grade rooms whenever possible. To do this, they have arranged, with many properties, to "upsell" rooms prior to arrival. For example, at the Rome Cav, you can ask for a "space available" upgrade to a Rome view room for as little as $39E per night (but the price varies according to the date of your reservation) to $199E for a suite. This allows the hotel to wind up getting paid for higher room categories rather than leaving them empty or filling them with free upgrades.

However, this issue is for a Gold or Diamond, who already qualify for a space available upgrade. IF you check any of the boxes, you will be charged the upgrade whereas if you had not checked the box, you would be given the upgrade for free. One of the keys is to understand what you are entitled to. As in my example above, the Cav. will upgrade a Gold or Diamond to a Rome view room but not normally an Imperial floor room. So if you are looking for an Imperial floor room you must check the upgrade box.

Hope this helps.

CrankyScott likes this.
  7. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Part of that is because Hiltons don't seem to handle it properly. Contrast that to Hyatt, where for example at the Hyatt Crystal City my upgrade quality went up with NOR1 because I was better managed within the system. Even though I'd only request the free upgrade relevant to my status, as a Hyatt Diamond I was 2 for 3 on getting an additional complimentary upgrade from an upgraded oversized corner room with sitting area to a full two-room suite.

My experience with most Hiltons is that the NOR1 doesn't have a place for a complimentary Diamond upgrade, and if you're not in the NOR1 system you're just not a candidate for any upgrade at all. Hilton lost about $1500/year in big city downtown business from me as a result.