Hillary Bush - Kiva coordinator

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by brandonatkiva, Jun 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brandonatkiva

brandonatkiva Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everybody,

I've been working with Kiva lending teams for a little while now, but a few people suggested creating my own thread here (ala Ali's).

My role at Kiva is centered around our community, both online and offline; I work closely with many of the team captains to facilitate engagement, our community support team for any questions that come up, and our product team for new site features that affect lending teams.

If you ever have any feedback, ideas or suggestions, please let me know! And if you ever need to get in touch with me directly, feel free to email me at brandon@kiva.org.

Thanks!
    Brandon

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to see your own thread, Brandon!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome!

GenevaFlyer

5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I e-mailed contactus last Wednesday to ask if there was an update on HSPFI, as we haven't heard anything for two months. So far no joy. Not even the usual automatic reply to say that someone would get back to me in 48 hours.

Have I been added to the spam filters?

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    No reply for me either. Asked a couple of weeks ago. HSPFI accounts for 25% of my delinquencies.

7. brandonatkiva

Status Points:
    Would you two mind private messaging me the email address you used to write contactus@? I can track down the ticket and find out what happened there. I also just checked with our Field Partner managers re: HSPFI; we're continuing to work closely with them on their difficult situation, but it doesn't look like there are any updates to share right now. I'll of course let you know as soon as I do receive more info--hopefully soon!

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Brandon, thanks for the response, my email was sent to you directly via yu......

Its disappointing that HSPFI has not given a response to your FP managers re: what is going on or that the lenders are not privy to the 'difficult' situation.

On another note, I do not see the "Featured loans" on the Lend page. One of our members, sunisthefuture was looking for the green loans but cannot see them.

Thanks

Ho

MissBurrill and YULtide like this.
  9. brandonatkiva

Status Points:
    Thanks, Ho -- I'll wait to receive your email address and then try to figure out what happened there. As for the "Featured Loans," we actually had to disable that briefly today because the searches weren't working properly after yesterday's site release. We'll re-enable that as soon as it's resolved.

10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just opened a conversation. Thanks for checking on this.

canucklehead and MissBurrill like this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I lent to two group loans from Paraguay yesterday morning. They're short term so I thought they would go fast. In fact, they have been showing as 100% funded, buut not fully funded for over 24 hours. They're stuck in a basket somewhere. Is this a bug or could it be someone holding on to these two loans? Both actually still need a substantial amount of funding.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/573473
    http://www.kiva.org/lend/573471

Have a look at the details for the second one, showing a basket amount of $3725 here:
    http://api.kivaws.org/v1/loans/573471.html

12. brandonatkiva

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up on this one -- we received a few notes from other lenders as well. We're hoping to have it resolved very soon, but just wanted to let you know that we're looking into it.

YULtide, IDGflygirl, milchap and 2 others like this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has now been resolved.

Thanks for your part in the solution, Brandon.

14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am waiting for the HSPFI problems to be resolved..... There are four more potential loans there waiting to be done if I get the repayments owed to me. :)

15. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Brandon,

Where is Kiva going?
    What is Kiva's mission these days?

YULtide and IDGflygirl like this.
  16. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Brandon,

I had a loan with Caja Rural Senor de Luren default yesterday, and at least two others defaulted also. I wonder if you can clarify a couple of questions for me.

I had understood that the policy on defaults was that they would occur several (6?) months after the final payment was due, but in this case the defaults were registered on the day the last payment was due. Can you please clarify the plicy?

In the three cases I am aware of, the reported problem is that the field partner had lost track of the clients. Is there a problem with due diligence? Is the field partner taking on more risky loans? If so, is this of concern to Kiva?

Caja Rural's default rate is now over 7%. They were a reliable field partner with a reliable clientel in my previous experience, but now I wonder if I need to reassess them. Roughly 10% of their ended loans have defaulted, which sounds very high to me. (I don't know how many of their defaults were registered yesterday.)

This is only my third default out of 2477 ended loans, so I don't want to sound overly negative. I accept that occasional defaults are part of being involved in microlending. However, a loan default does no-one any good. It can be a sign that the client was in over her head, which might suggest that the field partner was a bit too liberal in granting a loan. We need to be setting up the clients for success and not failure.

17. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Brandon and team,

I have a curious loan situation.
    http://www.kiva.org/lend/491881

Shows 100% paid back however when I look at the repayment sheduled it shows payment received in April 2013 Amount 0.00. I then recieved an email on July 1 stating:

Unfortunately, the loan group is behind on the payments because one member does not want to pay her installments. We want to let you know that VisionFund staff is trying to reach an agreement with the loan group .

Is this some type of system glitch where it states 100% paid back but it's not?

MissBurrill, YULtide and IDGflygirl like this.
  18. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears that the April 2013 installment was paid in March 2013, (but not sure what the note above refers to):

19. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    That accounts for the funds but not the strange message.

20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's important to understand that Kiva staff (or their computers) make mistakes. Sometimes the mistakes are like typos, sometimes they are more significant. Or sometimes a simple mistake can seem significant. On Kiva Zip last week a 24 week loan was listed as 24 months and a 6 month loan was listed as 6 weeks.

21. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I'll bite...

Brandon, please look at the update on the loan.
    Then please contact the FP.
    And then please tell me that Doña Rosa is NOT the delinquent borrower of the group (and that this update was not used as a way to try to humiliate her into paying).

22. brandonatkiva

Status Points:
    Great question. The biggest change we've had recently is toward what we call catalytic loans. We made a blog post that breaks down all the details if you're interested, but it essentially boils down to helping our Field Partners have a deeper impact with their loans. That means reaching new marginalized populations, innovating with new loan products which promote or enable social causes, reaching new geographic locations that have minimal financial access, and of course driving down the cost of lending overall.

Here's that blog post: http://blog.kiva.org/2013/02/28/catalytic-loans-how-kiva-is-pushing-boundaries-to-make-loans-do-more

And just as a FYI, I'm also checking into Kellio and YULtide's questions, so I'll report back shortly!

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick suggestion: when I am looking at a defaulted loan, it might not be the best marketing to present me with "advertising" for a bunch of loans labeled "Check out some available loans that are similar to this one!"

:)

MissBurrill, fcjapan and YULtide like this.
  24. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    NOOO! Don't tell them! It makes me laugh every time I see it :p
    Sincerely, at first I was surprised but then it just makes me laugh every time.
    Please don't deprive me of any joy.

25. brandonatkiva

Status Points:

Thanks so much for your patience on this one -- it took a little while to confirm facts on the ground :)

What happened with VisionFund Mexico is that loan #491881 was indeed paid off in January, but the journal update was simply posted 8-9 months late. VisionFund requires loan officers to post 1 journal for every loan, which is a large part of why their journaling rate is a sky-high 96%. The loan officer was reviewing loans that lacked a journal, found this one, and entered in the outdated info to fulfill that requirement.

Obviously this caused some confusion, so we've been in contact with the loan officer and our Kiva Coordinator to do a better job of making sure journal entries are still valid and appropriate, with the aim to ultimately prevent this from happening again in the future.

Thanks again for the original question and for waiting so patiently!