Highway Patrol Has A New Toy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lisamcgu, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, yesterday, I saw more cops by the side of the road, more people pulled over with them and more people being pulled over by them, blue flashing lights and all, than ever before.

Today, SAME THING! Then I saw one of cops, who was pulled over, standing next to his car looking thru what seemed to be binoculars. Note this is on a coast hwy in CA and the officer was on a part of the road that outcropped as the road twisted and turned out with the natural coastline. In this way, he could see way back on the roadway, but those coming twd him wouldn't think to be looking that far ahead down the coast. I wondered if this could be some new laser?

Here is what I found, and it is a bit more than just a laser ...

Newcon-LRB-4000CI-2.jpg
    Newcon Optik - LRB 7x50 Laser Range Finder Binocular - 4000 yards, Speed Detector, Compass, Inclinometer, RS232
    The Newcon Optik LRB 7x50 Laser Range Finder Binocular 4000 yards, Speed Detector, Compass, Inclinometer, RS232 belongs to well-known Newcon Optic's Series allows you to observe distant objects with great image quality plus it measures distance to the object, its speed, elevation, height, and azimuth - all in one! You choose your needed set of parameters and get them at the same time. Aim and click - and you know all what you want about your target. Computer output allows immediate data acquisition by any system with standard RS-232 interface. The device has gating capability and variable logic of target selection.
    Sale Price: $4,744.00

YULtide, Skyvillager, joesmoe and 9 others like this.
  2. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the HOA of the subdivision I live in bought one of these [​IMG]. $100 fine if you get nailed.

Miles, jbcarioca and lisamcgu like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So they intend on giving out more than 48 fines, to get their ROI.

4. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    They had been using the old fashioned radar guns, and were pulling in close to 10K a month using them pretty infrequently. We have almost 3000 homes and a poular golf course inside the gates. And, the speed limit is 25 mph. With zero tolerance. No problem blowing through the the cost and making an hefty ROI.

5. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    And, when build out is done--there will be 5000 homes. I can see them spending the money already [​IMG].

BondAir007, Miles, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  6. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this enforceable?

joesmoe, BondAir007, Miles and 2 others like this.
  7. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    CA used to be quite lax in speed enforcement (in comparison to the East Coast and the Midwest)....but now, the state and many municipalities are getting creative/desperate in finding ways to create extra revenue. Really disgusting that people still accept the flawed and idiotic notion that speed equals danger.

I guess they feel that there's no value in the simple truth: incompetence/inattention is a bigger killer than speed.

Much easier (and acceptable to the sheeple in the general populace) to penalize the accomplished driver doing 90 in a competent and well maintained vehicle...instead of the moron with the burnt out headlight and bald tires doing 60 in the left lane while texting and drinking coffee.

sobore, BondAir007, Miles and 2 others like this.
  8. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, yes. Once you enter the gates, whether resident or guest, you are subject to the rules (and fines) of the community. Granted it is more difficult for them to get the money out of 'guests'. But, they use a collection agency for that. Residents are stuck. They'll compound the fine monthly and file a lien against your property until you pay up.

9. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the spirit of uprisings taking place around the world, rise up! Throw off the shackles! But drive safely [​IMG]

10. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny ... and Smart! :D

11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Story of my life. :D

Traveller, Miles, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  12. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't driven our car with the radar/laser detector yet. I am looking fwd to seeing how it works with these new devices.

13. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    BamaGirl - you are making where you live sound so terrible. I am actually feeling bad for you! Probably with so many residents and golf carts zipping about, they have to be super strict. I know out in the desert in CA, where there are many golfing communities, it gets to the pt where you just get used to driving slow thru those communities ... I mean, who wants to be the neighbor who ran over a bunch of golfers? :D

14. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    When those golfers are the same white shoe wearing geriatrics in their Buicks and Cadillacs who impede my progress on the freeway, then yes, there are times when I fantasize about performing that........public service.

15. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL :D

In the desert communities, if its not the little puffs of white over the steering wheel, its the gardeners trucks ... soooo slowwww ...

16. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how a laser detector would help. This device probably captures your speed in a few milliseconds.

jbcarioca and lisamcgu like this.
  17. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. My hub is great with the radar part, guessing if its a garage door or a cop and pretty much exactly where he is hiding, " ... and he is ... right ... there!" but for the laser he has told me if its going off I am being lasered, and this has happened. Thankfully I wasn't speeding at the time (even though I was in a tuned E55 AMG :)) I just thought since the cop was so far away it might change the status quo ...

18. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    The detector will detect the people/speeders ahead of you being tagged so one will hopefully have time to slow down a bit.

One thing I've noticed over the past year is that vehicles with "lane departure warning" radar systems (like Infiniti FX's and the bigger Mercs) will cause my Valentine One to false.

Miles, jbcarioca and lisamcgu like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had zero enforcement in Rio until two years ago. Now speed cameras are everywhere. Could not calculate ROI because payback period averages one day!! they are making a fortune. We had three quick fines and none any more. of course we now drive like even older people than we really are.[​IMG]

20. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though I'm a staunch and vigilant defender of the BMW Roundel and ///M, I have to like that part.

21. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    That may be the only benefit of laser detectors for motorists.

jbcarioca and lisamcgu like this.
  22. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    RedM3Pilot, I have to tell you, it is so weird ... I don't know if its the drivers or the car, but the cops around here love pulling over BMWs. The percentage is noticeable. Do the cars not feel like you are going that fast, when you really are?

23. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what I was thinking!

24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is a lot of evidence that in certain locales cops like targetting cars that indicate the drivers belong to specific socio-economic subgroups- BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes; in other areas they go for souped up Toyotas with fancy paint jobs.

lisamcgu, Miles and jbcarioca like this.
  25. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once had this car. It was invisible to police because of the supernaturally awful color. The only Ferrari ever made that was invisible, I think. I never had a speeding citation with it though I often drove well over 100mph. Note the license number. I tried for DUL V8 but had to settle for DUL 8V. It was not. That is Mrs. jb on the other side.

DUL 8V Jan1979.jpg