High Speed Rail from Las Vegas to... Victorville, CA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Mar 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

High Speed Rail from Las Vegas to Victorville, CA will fail.

1. True

75.0%
  2. False

25.0%
  1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Came across this ludicrous story at the following link:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/destinat...speed-Vegas-line-stirs-controversy/53876352/1

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Anyone who has driven to Las Vegas from SoCal knows that 50% of the traffic occurs just getting to Victorville (barring any accidents). This is the biggest waste of money and the estimates are going to get blown out of the water if they actually do start this mess.

What a joke thinking that the US will be covered in high speed rail. Just take a small % of the money that they spend on this US high speed rail network and put it into revamping the air traffic control systems and we would be far better off.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. I think we need high-speed rail, and it's gotta start somewhere. The vast wasteland is obviously the cheap place to start while working on the political problems getting closer to shore.

I have seen it take eleven hours to drive back from Vegas to the greater LA area on a holiday weekend. I'd much rather take a train (especially if it joins up eventually with the San Francisco - LA high speed train).

jmjgp12 and mht_flyer like this.
  3. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would make more sense if they connected it with the Metrolink at Palmdale or San Bernardino/Ontario. I think Palmdale would make a lot of sense as the highspeed rail hub of L.A., with another link up to SF.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the eventual plan is to do that, it's just not feasible at this very moment.

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Victorville is a centerpiece of several articles on the hell that are modern exurbs. The demographic of the area is all wrong, especially after the housing collapse. But it goes well with the overall idea of shortsighted and corrupt city/state planning. Besides, it'll be easier to build to Victorville than to a place that actually would benefit from the direct link.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I'm glad that the people in Victorville will no longer have to make the 3 hr drive Las Vegas.... they can hop on the luxury train at $100/person!!!