High New York Court: Starbucks Baristas Must Share Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Jun 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wonder in an age of Starbucks cards and mobile apps, how much the tips amount to compared to the pre-electronic days? I would guess far fewer customers tip at Starbucks than in the past.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering the same thing. I don't carry coins. I don't tip $1 for a drink. I use the SBux card to earn free drinks, and for convenience. So zero tips from me ever since the card came out.

Besides, I don't consider putting a drink in a cup or a pastry into a paper bag a tippable task.

rockyrock and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm overall very perplexed about tips in general, I would find it much better when they would get paid without depending upon tips in the first place.

I believe that tips at Starbucks or other vendors are indeed declining in the modern world, thanks to the Starbucks Card and other methods of payment. While the different ways to pay / earn at Starbucks assures that the consumer comes in and orders regularly with them, it also ensures that tips are in steep decline. Interesting ruling nevertheless here, now a small pie gets even smaller for the Baristas. Hello Shift supervisors.

This let's me thinking, Barista = marketing gimmick, are they the lowest paid workers in a Starbucks or is it the cleaning lady, most likely outsourced and not employed by Starbucks at all, she maybe cleans at the competitors after her / his work was done at Starbucks and she / he would love tips too. In all honesty I would love tips too, but would only tip when the work done by someone would present me personally with something of an life enhancement. That's why when there's a toilet lady I mostly give something, this depends / coins in my purse or not / because these people get mostly overlooked, but do some mighty important work too.