High Line Summer hours

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by Robin, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Summer Hours Begin April 1, High Line to Stay Open until 10:00 PM

Starting Friday, April 1, the High Line will be open daily from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Summer hours will continue through the fall. Evening is a great time to visit the High Line—the sunsets are spectacular over the Hudson River, and the lighting system designed by L'Observatoire International casts a gentle illumination on the spring plantings to create a warm and welcoming mood at dusk. Please check the High Line Web site or follow the High Line on Twitter for the latest information about park conditions and operational updates.

Section 2 of the High Line is supposed to open this Spring/Summer.
    http://www.thehighline.org/

cheepneezy likes this.
  2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just read that the newest section will be opening between 20th and 30th street. I hope this will spread the crowds out. Warm weekends make the currect location congested.

SC Flier likes this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where I come from, we call those High Line "plantings" by their proper name: weeds.

Let the games begin....

4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed! I honestly don't see the big deal over this. It's a frickin' bridge, at best.

5. squid
    Original Member

squid Silver Member

Status Points:
    The north section of the Highline opens real soon.

[​IMG]

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It opened yesterday. :cool:
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...-yorks-high-line-park-grows-phase-2-now-open/

It is quite pretty as a park and incredibly quiet, all things considered. But if you don't like it then feel free to stay away. I like it less crowded up there. :p

7. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL no problem. I have three wonderful parks withing a stones throw of my home that are real neighborhood gems.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What's not "real" about the high line? That they have other types of plants than simple grass? Or that it is elevated?

I'm also sure that the fact it is the closest "nice" park to me skews my view (I have a small mid-block park closer but no real nature in that one) but I'm truly surprised to hear the hate.

9. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not hate, I just don't get the hype about a faux park being built on old elevated train tracks. To me it not a park, no matter how you spin it, it's elevated walkway with some shrubbery.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So what would make it a park? Putting it at ground level? Planting elms instead of the current flora?

It meets any definition of a city park I've ever seen. :confused:

11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL we're going to have to agree to disagree ;) On a serious note, if you and the members of your community love it, then work it!

12. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the Highline and walk it quite often. I remember when they opened the first stretch and they interviewed the landscape architect. Before the renovation it was covered with weeds and the architect said he wanted to work in that spirit. So it's really 'natural flora inspired'. ;)

Oh, and Wandering... I've seen you twice on the street in the neighborhood lately. You're always schlepping something so you look too busy to chat.