High Line Park phase 2 now open!

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The second phase of the High Line park - 20th to 32nd-ish - has been "pending" opening for a few weeks now. I stop by on most days I'm in town and yesterday afternoon I was treated to the surprising good news that the new section had opened just that day!

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...-yorks-high-line-park-grows-phase-2-now-open/

The new space is, unsurprisingly, awesome. It extends a similar aesthetic but adds some new features, including a grassy area that visitors can actually sit on and a raised section of the path that puts you above, rather than inside, the park.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's also a new water feature between 14th and 15th streets, with kids young and old playing all day long.
    [​IMG]

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Finally got the video I made yesterday from the High Line uploaded:

goodandclassy and lili like this.
  3. sparxe
    Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    This figures! I was there last weekend for the first time and probably won't be there again. My favorite part were the wooden chaise lounges that could be rolled along the rail tracks.

goodandclassy likes this.
  4. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new section has a very different feeling from the first phase. The original part's got some really wide areas for walking. The new part is narrow in some spots and looks right into the back windows of several people's apartments. I guess they'll have to get used to it!

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. The narrow paths up at that end can create some serious log jams when it is crowded. But it is pretty.

6. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the walk at night last weekend... as much as I love it during the day, the evening, with the lighting, kicked butt!

as an added bonus, the path is significantly less crowded, and (maybe it was just a good day) you could smell the various aromas form the plants.

it was surreal

i liked the park on facebook the next morning. huge fan :D

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my favorite part too! I'm glad the 2nd part's open- time for me to make it back up to NYC again soon. Is this the final expansion or is there another section that will open later?

8. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points: