High fuel costs - When does it affect FF pgms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jaw_24, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Airlines hike fares - again (CNN Money)

I know some FF programs started getting stingy back in 2007/08 when fuel costs went sky high--how long before this starts all over again? Does this further deflate the value of miles?

Cholula likes this.
  2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the higher fuel prices will revive that nasty "fuel surcharge" that was routinely added to tickets a while back. And still is on some international flights.

I doubt they will have any short-term negative effect on the FF programs but, having said that, they won't help either. And the longer they drag out and/or the higher they get, the better chance they will impact the FF programs.

3. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    In 2007 UA routinely added upwards of $80 fuel surcharge to domestic tickets in non-LCC markets. Of course, there are fewer LCC markets now with Southwest's expansion and Virgin America in the picture.

Now the airlines have the pesky "peak travel" surcharges, so they could just raise or add more dates to those to effectively raise prices.