High Cost of VIP Travel: Biden's $665,545 Hotel Bill in Moscow, Obama's $450,000 Warsaw Tab

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...l-moscow-obamas-450000-warsaw-tab_738138.html

The Washington Times reports that the cost of Obama's Africa trip, estimated as high as $100 million, is overshadowing President Obama's agenda. If past VIP trips are any indication, lodging and local transportation would represent only a fraction of the $100 million, yet those costs would likely still dwarf those of the average citizen traveling abroad. In late March, Vice President Joe Biden's $321,000 limo bill and $585,000 Paris hotel bill for his trip to Europe earlier this year were revealed.

Read More: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...l-moscow-obamas-450000-warsaw-tab_738138.html

uggboy, Kalboz and canucklehead like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    It should be noted from the article that this is the contract and may not be the actual cost.

Also, upon inspection, its not just the rooms, but costs including "connecting telephone lines" and "removal and storage of furniture", so extra security measures are probably a contribution to the costs (on top of the 2000+ room nights)

LETTERBOY, YULtide and sobore like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Geez! In Canada we had a government minister resign over a $16 glass of orange juice.

milchap and canucklehead like this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    she also decided to switch from the 4.5* St Paul's Hotel to slum it in the 5* Savoy (paying for both hotels) and the $1000/day car and driver...... Oh Bev, how we miss you, not!

LIH Prem and YULtide like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    When heads of state travel it is costly period.

anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it's an order of magnitude more expensive (if not more) when the head of state of the United States travels.

LETTERBOY and YULtide like this.
  8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having hosted presidential events on my campus (I'm a college VP) I can tell you that yes, the costs of any presidential trip feel excessive....until you think of the cost of NOT having seemingly over-the-top security. Regardless of the party, our president just can't travel "on the cheap". Nor can their family.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go figure the cost for Air Force One !

anileze and YULtide like this.
  10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. Airlifting "the Beast" (armored limo) alone runs into 7-digits.

anileze likes this.
  11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, where do I buy stock in that french limo company? :p:D

anileze likes this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not hear anyone complaining when Bush or Clinton traveled :(

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Aren't the Marine 1 helicopters getting airlifted around, too?

anileze, Kalboz, MX and 1 other person like this.
  14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall, vaguely, some Dem (can't remember who) complaining about something Laura Bush did, and I recall something about some in the GOP grumbling (behind the scenes) about Hilary's travel when she was running for the Senate in 2000. This kind of stuff always draws some complaints, they're just getting more attention now, partly because of the toxic, hyper-partisan political environment, and partly because of the budget/sequester stuff.

Regardless, all of these complaints are BS. The President, VP, their families, and certain other government officials just can't travel the way we do. They simply NEED their security and related entourage. I'm not an Obama fan, but can you imagine the consequences to the country (or the world) if something were to happen to him and/or his family? Or how about this situation - at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the VP didn't have Air Force Two, so when the crisis erupted, LBJ had to hop on a commercial flight to get back to Washington. Anyone who complains about this stuff is just like a blimp - full of hot gas.

anileze and Kalboz like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assume the white house has a fixed annual travel budget and can't just spend whatever they want on travel?

Kalboz likes this.
  16. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the gov spent according to their budget, they wouldn't need a debt ceiling. ;)

estnet, anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The White House doesn't pay for all of the President's travel on it's own. I'm not sure how the formula works out, but the White House pays for it's own costs, the Secret Service pays for it's own costs, the military pays for it's own costs, etc. Every government agency involved pays for it's own portion of the costs. And that's for official travel. If it's personal travel, the President pays for a portion himself, and if it's political travel, the President's political party pays for a portion themselves (I don't know they figure those portions out), in addition to the government agencies picking up their own respective portions.

I assume there's some amount of flexibility built into the travel budgets, in any case. And, also, I would submit that all parts of the federal budget are fixed, but I don't think they're fixed in the way you're implying. :D

anileze likes this.
  18. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

You mean both planes that are used as AF1, and the advance teams and the cost of shipping jet fuel over and the cargo transports for the fleet of Marine Ones and the fleet of vehicles etc etc etc.

It's a lot cheaper if he just stays in the white house.

Doesn't anybody else watch the History Channel? :)

-David

LETTERBOY and Kalboz like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

True for me, too. Except my house isn't painted white. :)

estnet and LIH Prem like this.
  20. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Force One is any Air Force aircraft that the President is on. That's usually, but not always, one of the two VC-25s (747-200s), but could be a C-32 (757-200), or one of the other Air Force VIP jets, if he's going to an airfield that the VC-25 can't land at. So there are more than two airframes that could be Air Force One.

It would be easier to protect him that way, too. But if he did that, people and the press would scream and whine that he's shutting himself off from anyone not in his inner circle. He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

I do! I do! :D (Jumping up and waving hand)